Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I just watched the good the bad and the ugly

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 10:59 PM
Doctorwho

I really liked it. This totally caught me off guard, same with the seven samurai and chaplin films. Usually the people who recommended them were snobish a-hole's so I put off watching them for a while.

I was going to go get Once Upon A Time In The West but saw it was being re-released in a week.

I'm going to get fistfull of dollars and I already own yojimbo, but does anyone know what other great Akira Kurosawa and Sergio Leone' films?

Old 11-11-03, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
For a Few Dollars More is the second film in Sergio Leone's "Man with No Name" trilogy. Not as good, in my opinion, as Fistful of Dollars or The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, but I always say a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western is better than no Clint Eastwood spaghetti western.
Old 11-11-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget to check out Once Upon a Time In America as well, it's a little messy, but captivating and memorable.
Old 11-11-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I just watched the good the bad and the ugly

Originally posted by Doctorwho
I really liked it. This totally caught me off guard, same with the seven samurai and chaplin films. Usually the people who recommended them were snobish a-hole's so I put off watching them for a while.

I was going to go get Once Upon A Time In The West but saw it was being re-released in a week.

I'm going to get fistfull of dollars and I already own yojimbo, but does anyone know what other great Akira Kurosawa and Sergio Leone' films?

You might want to get Leone's Once Upon a Time in America - one of the best gangster films ever made along with Goodfellas and The Godfather.

Other than Madadayo, I have every R1 Kurosawa release currently available. If you are into action then Seven Samurai and Sanjuro. High and Low is a great crime drama. The first half some of the best tension filled drama ever put to celluloid. The second half is standard Joe Friday stuff. Ran and Throne of Blood are Kurosawa's take on King Lear and Macbeth. The latter having one of the greatest death scenes on film. And then there is Rashomon, the film that brought Kurosawa to western eyes.

Try Sanjuro first. If you liked Seven Samurai and Yojimbo, Sanjuro will not disappoint you. Throne of Blood has two great commentary tracks and as I mentioned a great ending.
Old 11-11-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but be forwarned, your gonna want to watch the entire movie of once... america due to the really craptacular cut off point. (right in the middle of a gun shootout.) Its about 4 hours long.
Old 11-11-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd say rent Once Upon a Time in America instead of buying it.
Old 11-11-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
I'd say rent Once Upon a Time in America instead of buying it.
Buy, if you're a die-hard DiNiro or Leone fan. It really does take a few viewings to fully appreciate it. And yes, the cutoff for disc one is extremely jarring, almost amateur in its execution.
Old 11-11-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Hidden Fortress is probably my favorite Kurosawa picture, just a fun, epic, beautiful, funny and exciting movie.

I would also recommend Kurosawa's first movie, Sanshiro Sugata. It's kind of a martial arts film about judo, and it's pretty darn impressive for a first effort---some great images and cool judo scenes.
Old 11-11-03, 04:26 PM

Re: Re: I just watched the good the bad and the ugly

Originally posted by garolo
Throne of Blood has two great commentary tracks
actually it only has one, you must be thinking about the two subtitle tracks
Old 11-11-03, 05:02 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: I just watched the good the bad and the ugly

Originally posted by Doctorwho

Well, at the risk of being a snobbish a-hole...

There weren't a lot of Leone films. After the "Man With No Name" Trilogy, he only made (IIRC) three more films - OUATITW, OUATIA, and Duck, You Sucker!

On the other hand, Kurosawa had a very long career, and he made a ton of films. If all you want is action, get Sanjuro, Hidden Fortress, and Throne of Blood. If you can handle "deeper" stuff, buy Rashomon immediately. Based on your comments, you'd probably hate it.
Old 11-11-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
If Once/West and Once/America turn out to be a little slow for your tastes, then try to find Duck, you Sucker (aka Fistful of Dynamite)

Finding it is no easy task, but that film has the same style and the same pace as was seen in Leone's previous westerns. An unfairly ignored movie.
Old 11-12-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, Leone, by every account, also directed "My Name is Nobody" starring Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda, which is a great mix of Spaghetti and Hollywood Western Icons. It's not hard to believe watching that movie that he directed it, definately a Leone feel to it. And more interesting since Hill gained most of his fame lampooning in a way the Leone style with his "Trinity" series. But apparently Leone was enthralled by Hill and wanted very much to work with him and always got a kick out of the "Trinity" series.

Also, according to imdb, he is the uncreditied director of another Hill vehicle, Genio, due compari, un pollo, Un (several US titles listed, probably best known as Nobody is the Greatest(1975). But in fairness, that has only gotten a 5.7 on IMDB where usually only Hill fans vote on Hill movies, so caveat emptor on that one.
Old 11-12-03, 10:30 AM
Banned

One thing about the Leone Eastwood pics is the music, all three pictures have some of the greatest music that totally matches the films.

I actually like For a few Dollars More, as it's completly different than the other two.
Old 11-12-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

speaking of fistful of dynamite, any chance of a dvd release or a TCM airing?
Old 11-12-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: I just watched the good the bad and the ugly

Regarding Throne of Blood:

Originally posted by yojimbo1
actually it only has one, you must be thinking about the two subtitle tracks

You are absolutely correct. I was having one of those days. Michael Jeck does give great commentary but it is only one track.
Old 11-13-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Fistful/Dynamite comes on in 20 minutes on Showtime Extreme.

Even though it's rated PG, this is the uncut version complete with the Mao Introductory quote,bonus scene, and "F" bombs...But the final flashback is still missing.

Bad news is that it's the fullscreen version. I'll keep you posted if it re-airs again this month.
Old 11-13-03, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
speaking of fistful of dynamite, any chance of a dvd release or a TCM airing?
MGM released this, Region 2.
Old 11-14-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458
I actually like For a few Dollars More, as it's completly different than the other two.
Same here. I like it almost as much as The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (which is sometimes my favorite movie).
Old 11-14-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Another vote for Few Dollars More.
Old 11-14-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mondo Kane

Even though it's rated PG, this is the uncut version complete with the Mao Introductory quote,bonus scene, and "F" bombs...But the final flashback is still missing.

Bad news is that it's the fullscreen version. I'll keep you posted if it re-airs again this month.
is the oar 2:35? for anyone whos seen the wide version, does leone use all of the fame for most shots like his other films. Also the main reason he only shot once.. america in 1:85 is because he didn't like how all of his prior movies looked terrible in full screen
Old 11-14-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mondo Kane

also

2:00 PM Channel 347 SHOXe Wednesday, November 19, 2003

A Fistful of Dynamite
138 mins.

Rod Steiger and James Coburn team in a story of bank robbers and revolutionaries in 1913 Mexico. Romolo Valli, Maria Monti. Santerna: Rik Battaglia. Governor: Franco Graziosi. Guttierrez: Antoine Domingo. Shown in theaters as "Duck, You Sucker." Directed by Sergio Leone.

Cast: Maria Monti, Rod Steiger, James Coburn, Romolo Valli

Rating: PG

Content: Violence

Category: Movie, Western

Release Year: 1971
Old 11-14-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you liked "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" you'll love "Paint your Wagon".
Old 11-14-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by cheapskate
You're kidding right?

If not, well, it's not universal, as I don't enjoy Paint Your Wagon at all (except to laugh at Clint Eastwood lip-syncing "They Call the Wind Maria").
Old 11-14-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought i heard that clint actually sang. I'll take the simpsons parrody over the original. "were gonna paint that wagon, gotta paint it good."
Old 11-14-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cheapskate

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.