Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey Pixar fans! - Best looking animation?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hey Pixar fans! - Best looking animation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-03, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Pixar fans!

Who do you think among the big studios create the best looking animation? It didn't occur to me right away that Ice Age was not a Pixar film, because it looked stunning enough to have come from the same artists and studio, that said I was surprised there were other studios making CG films like this Final Fantasy (SoftImage?) notwithstanding. Anyhow, where does Pixar rank in an industry they practically started?

Pixar, Fox, (what others are there?) ?

Nemo set new heights for colors and lighting effects, IMO.
Old 11-08-03, 08:39 PM

To me Pixar is at the top of the list although Square did an incredible job with the look of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.
Old 11-08-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Probably their biggest "rival" is Dreamworks/PDI ("Antz", "Shrek", upcoming "Shrek 2" and "Sharkslayer") in terms of commercial penetration and animation quality.

In terms of success rate in both critical and commercial spheres, Pixar is the best damn studio out there period... animation-based or otherwise.
Old 11-08-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I wanna be Steve Lasseter's love child
Old 11-08-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

John Lasseter is a God.
Old 11-08-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Big Idea (Veggietales) does Christian-themed computer animated shows -- mostly 30 min features, and not full length movies (except for their recent Jonah),
Old 11-08-03, 09:07 PM

Why so much praise for John Lassetter? He isn't responsible for doing the actual animation or even the story writing. Nemo was written by Anderson wasn't it ? I'm abit behind in my Pixar history, but isn't Lassetter the CEO? Without great talent (artist/writers) he's just another suit.
Old 11-08-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Ronin008
Why so much praise for John Lassetter? He isn't responsible for doing the actual animation or even the story writing. Nemo was written by Anderson wasn't it ? I'm abit behind in my Pixar history, but isn't Lassetter the CEO? Without great talent (artist/writers) he's just another suit.

"...just another suit..."

Anyway, Lasseter isn't the CEO, that's Steve Jobs. Lasseter is an Executive VP and the head of Pixar's entire Creative department. He directed Toy Story, A Bug's Life, and Toy Story 2, and spent years working as an animator for both Disney and Lucasfilm. I think it's a safe assumption to make that Pixar wouldn't be "PIXAR!!!!!!!!!!" without John Lasseter.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 11-08-03 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-08-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ronin008
hes the furthest thing from a suit

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0005124/
Old 11-08-03, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Lassetter is the drive and vision behind the studio. His stamp is on everything they've put out, but of course his team does good work, too. Stanton is one of the original Pixar boys and is a fine director in his own right.
Old 11-08-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly Dreamworks PDI and Pixar are the only two major Computer Animation Studios left. Square USA lost a bundle on the animation studio they built in Hawaii because of Final Fantasy's lack of box office reciepts. They won't be focusing on feature animation anymore (I heard somewhere that "Final Flight of the Osiris" was their last project in development - even though it wasn't a full length feature). And I heard that Fox's CG animation studio was shut down shortly after the completion of "Ice Age". Somebody out there should know what I am talking about.
Old 11-09-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And I heard that Fox's CG animation studio was shut down shortly after the completion of "Ice Age".
Fox Animation Studios closed in 2000. As I understand it Blue Sky Studios was mainly responsible for Ice Age. They're still alive and kicking and working on another movie for Fox (Robots).
Old 11-09-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Core Digital Pictures (in Toronto) is also developing a Full Length feature directed by Steve Williams (ex ILM). They were an effects house but are now trying to do what Pixar and PDI do so well.

Their CEO is William Shatner, so now you know what Capt Kirk does when not on the Enterprise

Rumours were circulating that Disney may be eyeing these guys as possible Pixar replacements but im not sure how true that is.

Either way they must have got a some cash recently as they are recruiting like crazy.
Old 11-09-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't forget about the upcoming sequel to Ice Age !
Old 11-09-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ILM has got that new animation division. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of that.
Old 11-09-03, 10:08 AM
Admin Emeritus

Since this thread is about movies, and not anything specific to DVDs, moving to Movie Talk.
Old 11-09-03, 10:10 AM

Some company is making a movie called Delgo and Diego. About fairy-like creatures. Eric Idle, Val Killmer, Chris Kattan are doing voices for it. Looks like a Final Fantasy type project in terms of who they will market it to, or something.
Old 11-09-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by Dan Average
Fox Animation Studios closed in 2000. As I understand it Blue Sky Studios was mainly responsible for Ice Age. They're still alive and kicking and working on another movie for Fox (Robots).
Oh. I thought Blue Sky was Fox's CG animation division. Thanks for the correction.
Old 11-09-03, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Dazed
Core Digital Pictures (in Toronto) is also developing a Full Length feature directed by Steve Williams (ex ILM). They were an effects house but are now trying to do what Pixar and PDI do so well.

Their CEO is William Shatner, so now you know what Capt Kirk does when not on the Enterprise

Rumours were circulating that Disney may be eyeing these guys as possible Pixar replacements but im not sure how true that is.

Either way they must have got a some cash recently as they are recruiting like crazy.
I'm in Toronto! Shatner is great, but what have they done to garner the attention or rumors of being Pixar's replacement? Those are some big shoes to fill.

Thanks for clearing up who John Lassetter was, guys. He didn't strike me as an animator/creative guy from the excerpts I've watched on the dvds. Andrew Stanton seems to have helmed Finding Nemo from start to finish, though.
Old 11-09-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I think its becasue its a well known fact that Pixar want to leave Disney (thus stop paying them 50% of profits) and so disney are probably pooping their pants as their only real successful films in recent years have come from Pixar.

I guess they are desperate for someone to fill the void if that happens. Not sure what Core has done apart from some visual effects work but id be interested to see what they come up with.

John lassetter has an influence on all the shows even if he doesnt appear to be and many of the Pixar directors learned what they know from him. I dont think a film would come out of Pixar without Lassetter having a large say in the story/design.
Old 11-09-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Sony started up an animation unit.. and will be coming out with a full length Chubb Chubb film. They still hold the rights and a script for an animated Astro Boy film.
Old 11-09-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We cant forget Delgo!
Old 11-09-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey guys:

I'm an animator and have worked for Blue Sky Studios (in New York) on Ice Age and now PDI/Dreamworks (in San Fran) on Shrek 2

And just FYI, you're right, Blue Sky is still alive and well, working on Robots, and eventually, Ice Age 2. Robots looks great so far.

But the point is, 3-D animation/CGI is a wonderful industry to be in, and it's important to love what you do for a living! That's why I support my industry and hope it thrives on making more great films.

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 11-09-03 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-09-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I think its becasue its a well known fact that Pixar want to leave Disney
"Well known" to who?
Old 11-10-03, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Anyone who reads the trades.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.