Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Peeping Tom (wow!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peeping Tom (wow!)

I'm not a film student, so I can't discuss how successful this film is in depicting the themes of voyeurism, but I can sure say, me likee!

I remember how I wanted to see this back in the early 80's, but back then, you had to leave a $50 deposit before you could rent videos and this one video store was the only place that had it, so I didn't want to open a membership just for one movie,....so I never saw it. But now that I've seen it: this is a cool movie, as far as thriller/horror films go, this is suspenseful and creepy. I don't think any of the reviews mention just how effective the payoff is at the end when you find out how Mark films his victims fearful performances. But I didn't feel cheated by some overhyped flick; this really is a classic. And don't forget to pay attention to the colors, bright oranges and cool blues; modern film stock doesn't produce colors like that anymore.
Old 10-30-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed - one fine film! (If you have the Criterion, check out the extras, especially the info on the screenwriter - fascinating.)

If you think that the color photography is good in this, check out another Powell-Pressburger film that's also available on Criterion Black Narcissus - it will blow you away with the richness and detail.
Old 10-30-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 10-30-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Excellent,excellent film and way ahead of its time. Too bad that it practically ruined Powell's career. Critics savaged the film at the time (meanwhile, now its considered a classic).
Old 10-30-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Peeping Tom (wow!)

Unforgettable & unsettling film; especially the opening sequence. Its sad to hear how Powell and the actors were treated at the premier and in reviews, but I guess audiences just weren't ready for it at the time.