Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elf review

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elf review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ent_id=2011041

Looking good..
Old 10-27-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to laugh every time I see the promo of Ferrell sitting on Bob Newhart's lap.
Old 10-27-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this movie is gonna be the suprise hit of the fall.
Old 10-27-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I do not think this will be the surprise hit of the fall
Old 10-27-03, 07:51 PM
Cool New Member

Some people really think this guy is funny. I don't get it... I really can't stand him. I think for this kind of humor Jim Carrey is much better, and it's basically the same thing.

-J
Old 10-27-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will go out on a limb, and predict that some people will like this movie, while some people won't.
Old 10-28-03, 12:12 AM

I like to whisper too.
Old 10-28-03, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by Jucas
Some people really think this guy is funny. I don't get it... I really can't stand him. I think for this kind of humor Jim Carrey is much better, and it's basically the same thing.

-J

I totally disagree. Carrey does nothing more than make faces and put his arms behind his head. His characters are limited IMHO.

I hope ELF makes lotsa money and gets good reviews.
Old 10-28-03, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My first viewings of ELF previews brought chuckles. Now, just seeing the commercials makes me

I can't wait to see this guilty pleasure....
Old 10-28-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
While I doubt it could take the #1 spot on its opening weekend, Elf could stand to give Matrix Revolutions a run for its money due to its family appeal.
Old 10-28-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This should be good. Will Ferrell is almost always funny, plus seeing Bob Newhart in an elf costume should make it worth the price of admission.
Old 10-28-03, 02:28 PM
Retired

I can't stand him either. I'm not a big fan of Carrey either. I liked him in his more "serious" rolls like the Truman Show and Man on the Moon. I liked Dumb and Dumber and Me, Myself and Irene as well. But haven't been able to stand him in anything else.

I'm generally not a fan of these "stupid funny" movies in general.
Old 10-28-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I totally disagree. Carrey does nothing more than make faces and put his arms behind his head.
Is it me or did Carrey steal a lot of Bruce Campbell's schtick? While Campbell was acting psycho/zany in "Army of Darkness" Carrey was doing pap like "Once Bitten". I know he was just starting out, but somehow his act wasn't anywhere near the manic intensity of Campbell. Just wondering.
Old 10-28-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Someone once said that the two hardest things to describe to someone else are 1) why you find something sexy and 2) why you find something funny.

I happen to find Will Ferrell so incredibly funny (but not sexy) that I can laugh by just watching him stand there doing nothing. And I have no idea why.
Old 10-28-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

-J
If you "just don't get it" why would you post in a thread about a movie that stars him? And I'm sure you knew he was the star of Elf before you checked this thread out.

And I have to strongly disagree with the Carrey comparison. Like Giantrobo said they are two COMPLETELY different types of comics. Carry is a nearly purely physical comic, his career & success are b/c of his physical abilities. Ferrel is not at all a physical comic. His humor is a dry humor that plays off of his perceived innocense & he is known for constantly add-libbing. I have no clue how you can think the two are basically the same thing.
Old 10-28-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I disagree that Ferrell is not a physical comic -- c'mon, his "Night At The Roxbury" schtick was bopping his head like a wild man, in "Old School" he got the laffs by running around naked and through flaming hoops, his zany coked-up cheerleaders on "SNL," the commercial for "Elf" shows him falling on elves, in "Austin Powers" he kept breaking various limbs, in "Jay And Silent Bob" he kept running into tables and stuff -- need I go on?

Heck, I love the guy, but to say he's not a physical comic is nonsense. It's a big part of his act, which also relies on the dry humor you mentioned. It's hard to imagine him looking like Morley Safer and having the same career.
Old 10-28-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I disagree that Ferrell is not a physical comic -- c'mon, his "Night At The Roxbury" schtick was bopping his head like a wild man, in "Old School" he got the laffs by running around naked and through flaming hoops, his zany coked-up cheerleaders on "SNL," the commercial for "Elf" shows him falling on elves, in "Austin Powers" he kept breaking various limbs, in "Jay And Silent Bob" he kept running into tables and stuff -- need I go on?

Heck, I love the guy, but to say he's not a physical comic is nonsense. It's a big part of his act, which also relies on the dry humor you mentioned. It's hard to imagine him looking like Morley Safer and having the same career.
I disagree. Yeah, Ferrell uses physical humor, but when compared to Jim Carrey it is nothing. Carrey's career was made w/ physical humor. It's what he is known the most for, I don't even see that as debatable. Farrell relies much more on the line delivery, he does not rely that heavily on physical humor & when it does it usually plays off the theme of his size & appearance for a joke or two (i.e. playing off of the fact that he is 6, 4 & looks like an innocent guy) where as Carrey does it none stop throughout entire movies, interviews skits etc etc. I mean bobbing his head up in down is your example of Ferrel using physical humor compared to Carrey making entire movies (Pet Detective, D & D, the Mask etc etc) where every joke in the movie is just about based on his physical ability. I think for the most part when you think of Farrell you think of his style of line delivery (or maybe that is just me). When I think of Carrey I think of endless funny faces, & over the top physical gags. I stick to what I said, they are different types of comics (whether you like one or not isn't my point). Just that their style is very different & this topic started with someone saying the are exactly the same.

Last edited by Sessa17; 10-28-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 11:30 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Sessa17
If you "just don't get it" why would you post in a thread about a movie that stars him? And I'm sure you knew he was the star of Elf before you checked this thread out.
It's a review thread discussing the movie, all opinions are welcome. Comments like that are only a thread crap when they're in a thread discussing release dates, specs etc.

And you can't play they "he hasn't seen the movie" card because this hasn't been released yet so this is basically an "anticipation/will you see it" type thread at the moment.
Old 10-29-03, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by devilpants
Is it me or did Carrey steal a lot of Bruce Campbell's schtick? While Campbell was acting psycho/zany in "Army of Darkness" Carrey was doing pap like "Once Bitten". I know he was just starting out, but somehow his act wasn't anywhere near the manic intensity of Campbell. Just wondering.
It's you.

Seriously, Campbell was funny in that movie but he's an actor first and a comic second. Carrey is a comic first and an actor second. I think any similarities are coincidental. Carrey's first movies didn't highlight his comedic skills at all. I think he was simply trying to pay the rent. "Once Bitten" wasn't a Carrey vehicle, if you know what I mean. Once he got to "In Living Color" and later "Ace Ventura" you really saw him cut loose.
Old 10-29-03, 11:55 AM
Banned

You can always tell a bad comic when he has to rely on schtick where he falls over or takes his cloths off (something Will Farrel does in every role he's ever been in).

Terrible actor. Old School stunk. Fool me twice shame on me. I will not be there for Elf.
Old 10-29-03, 12:13 PM

"Goulet!"
Old 10-29-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
You can always tell a bad comic when he has to rely on schtick where he falls over or takes his cloths off (something Will Farrel does in every role he's ever been in).

Taking off clothes = bad comic?

I think WF is hilarious and one of the best on SNL while he was on it (Darryl Hammond was also great).

Almost every one of WF's skits he did were funny to me: "Get on the bag!", Al Gore, Jeopardy, Cheerleaders, Music teachers, etc.
Old 10-29-03, 12:29 PM
Banned

Saying he was great on SNL is like saying having a root canal is fun because it's not as bad as being in a car wreck. SNL has always had its good streaks and its bad streaks, but it has been on the longest bad streak of its history since 1997.
Old 10-30-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Saying he was great on SNL is like saying having a root canal is fun because it's not as bad as being in a car wreck. SNL has always had its good streaks and its bad streaks, but it has been on the longest bad streak of its history since 1997.
Huh?

Will would have been great on SNL no matter who the supporting cast was.
Old 10-30-03, 05:20 PM
Banned

Leaving the Wil Farrell debate alone for a minute, are you trying to tell me that you think the last 5-6 years of SNL have been good?

SNL is in the midst of the longest streak of poor quality in their 25+ year history (worse than the early '80s). You're reacting like you've never heard this opinion before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.