Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Litmus Test Films

Old 10-28-03, 09:00 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I think you're approaching the question the wrong way. While some may think this, prefering Saving Private Ryan to The Thin Red Line doesn't make you a brainless action junkie, but it does mean you're looking for something different in these films than the guy who feels the reverse.
Not necessarily. I could be looking for the same things as the other guy, but feel that The Thin Red Line failed miserably in bringing me those things.

I'm probably a bit oversensitive, but I've been put off by years of "Don't like [ARTSY MOVIE X]? Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in [BADLY REVIEWED FLUFF MOVIE Y]?" posts that make up so much film "discussion" on the Internet.
Old 10-28-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
• Quoth Groucho •<HR SIZE=1>I'm probably a bit oversensitive, but I've been put off by years of "Don't like [ARTSY MOVIE X]? Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in [BADLY REVIEWED FLUFF MOVIE Y]?" posts that make up so much film "discussion" on the Internet. <HR SIZE=1>

Probably, but I'd expect no less from someone who didn't like Magnolia. Perhaps you should stick to movies like Good Boy!.

das
Old 10-28-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don’t have a litmus test for specific movies, I like a lot of very stupid movies and hate what some people here would consider classics.
What I consider a true test is WHY someone likes or dislikes a movie.
Old 10-28-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
You're mean.

Seriously, though, if there's one thing I've found in my many years of film watching it's that people can be unpredictable.

To use some examples in this thread, I didn't like Magnolia. According to most in this forum, that makes me a "Joe Six-Pack" who didn't understand the film and prefers Hollywood fluff. Which couldn't be farther from the truth at all.

I prefered Saving Private Ryan over The Thin Red Line. Again, in the eyes of most around here that makes me a brainless action junkie. But I found The Thin Red Line to be pretensious and overwrought, whereas I thought the themes explored by Saving Private Ryan (influenced by Ambrose's "Citizen Solider") where more interesting. But both films are severely flawed.

The bottom line is that people are deeper thinkers than we give them credit for, and everybody's tastes are different and varied that you can't just take a handful of opinions and say "A ha! I've got you pegged!"
That would be my response but not as articulate (minus the movie opinions as I love Magnolia).

My own opinions change over time both on films I have seen before, genres, styles, etc. to try to sum up a movie personality. I enjoy being challenged and exposed to different viewpoints and wouldn't want to narrow that to only include a select group.

I can understand using some general guidelines but even then people grow/change. I hope over the years my own does as well.
Old 10-28-03, 03:57 PM

If you like the Princess Bride and The Shawshank Redemption, and can intelligently say why, we'll be just fine.

If you think Ben Stiller, Rob Schneider, David Spade, or Tom Green are the height of comedic talent, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 10-28-03, 06:21 PM

I will say this - I kinda liked The Matrix Reloaded, but not because it is a deep work of art as many think.

I showed a friend Waking Life and he argued that The Matrix and Reloaded are better, because each has the same philosophical content, but if both were books, The Matrix would be the version WITH PICTURES. Our friendship has never been quite the same.

If you agree with my friend, we need to talk. Otherwise, my tastes are pretty broad and I try not to be condescending to those that disagree.
Old 10-28-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by Cusm
Pulp Fiction is the big one with me. If you love it and think it is the best QT film, you are obviously a fad boy. If you thought it was horrible because you do not see what is in the briefcase, you need to stick to 2F2F, and Patrick Swayze films.
Having only seen PF once so far, I can't really say that I "enjoyed" it per se -- also the case with Reservoir Dogs. The main problem I think, is that I watched "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and similar films long before I ever got around to actually watching PF (watched Memento first as well). I'll pick them up on DVD eventually, but I suppose stylistically, I was marginally more jaded by the time I did finally view them -- they also appear to benefit through multiple viewings. However, as much as I enjoy LS&2SB and Snatch, I don't believe they can hold a candle to "The Long Good Friday."

My main complaint over "The Thin Red Line" (like most adaptations) is that if it had stuck by the book, it would have been interesting, and what actually ended up on film seems like a parody of the actual story and characters.

I enjoyed AI as an effects-fest and interesting retelling of a classic story, but as a piece of cinema, it falls far short of something like Blade Runner.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 10-28-03 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which reminds me...

Litmus Test: If you say you didn't like a film because the book was better, then we will disagree on most films.

Last edited by DigIt; 10-29-03 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-30-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you think it's possible to generalize that we will disagree on most films based upon our mutual reactions to one specific film, then it's probable that we will disagree on most films, but that we both enjoy the same flavors of pie and ice cream.
Old 10-30-03, 02:13 PM

My Litmus test's:

A Clockwork Orange

Apocalypse Now

Evil Dead 2

Blue Velvet

never met a woman who could make the grade. got married anyway.
Old 10-30-03, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by aroney
My Litmus test's:

A Clockwork Orange

Apocalypse Now

Evil Dead 2

Blue Velvet

never met a woman who could make the grade. got married anyway.
But over 50% of all marriages end in divorce.
Old 10-30-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 674 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
Anyone who says Forrest Gump is their favorite movie, I cannot even talk about anything movie related w/ that person. I may not even want to know that person. - If you fail this, we can't talk movies.
Interesting mention. I cannot completely concur with your conclusions, but it definitely says something not terribly flattering about a person if they say that FG is their favorite film.
Old 10-30-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
If you recognize that The Matrix movies are more then mindless action, then we'll probably get along
Old 10-31-03, 12:39 AM

Although not a movie,

I know a guy who judges whether or not any of his potential friends have any taste by asking them if they liked the Buffy Musical Episode.
Old 10-31-03, 08:15 AM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally posted by cross
Although not a movie,

I know a guy who judges whether or not any of his potential friends have any taste by asking them if they liked the Buffy Musical Episode.
Do I know you?

As far as this thread is concerned, I don't mean to be a snob, but if I had a "litmus test" movie, most people probably wouldn't have heard of it. By "most people" I mean real people, not the people in this forum.

As far as less obscure films, maybe Sunrise or Rules of the Game.