Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spiderman 2 budget: $210 million

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spiderman 2 budget: $210 million

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by jarofclay73
Wow, I didn't know so many people in this forum didn't like the Spider-Man franchise. I thought there so much gushing when it first came out.
They were all so ecstatic that something was going to beat Luca$ at the box office (AOTC came out about the same time) that they forgot that Spider-man sucked.

Actually, I liked Spider-man, but $210 million for a single sequel is insane. Did the even spend that much to make all three LOTR movies?
Old 10-24-03, 02:27 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I really enjoyed the first one. hopefully the budget will make the SFX look better, bc they didnt look great the first time. but the FX didnt make the first movie, the story and characters did.
Old 10-24-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I'll go see it. I went to see the first just to see Bruce as the wrestling emcee. Well, and the highbeams on the otherwise uninteresting Ms. Dunst. Anyway, it was better than Daredrivel.
Old 10-24-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
$210 million? Doesn't that make it the most expensive film in history?

Also, I thought T3 cost about $170 million, unless WB is trying to hide how much they spent.
Old 10-24-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, 210 would be the biggest movie ever, beating out the previous recordholder, Titanic with 200 million dollars.

T3 was 170 million dollars, but I don't think Warner Brothers paid for it. Pretty sure it was a smattering of foreign financing.

Anyway...hope this turns out well. While it is an insanely high budget, I imagine salaries and rights and licenses are absolutey astronomical. I imagine we won't see a lot of that money.
Old 10-24-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The first one was a joke.

I hope this one flops, but of course it won't. When are movies gonna cost a billion dollars to make? 2005?
Old 10-24-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
T3 was 170 million dollars, but I don't think Warner Brothers paid for it. Pretty sure it was a smattering of foreign financing.
Sony picked up the tab and took international distribution.
Old 10-25-03, 04:02 AM

I really don't see how this is real dollars they're quoting.
This has to be Hollywood Monopoly money, or something, because there's no way that Spiderman 1 was that expensive, much less the sequel (with almost all the design work already done) being this absurdly expensive.

They've gotta be rolling a lot of extra extraneous costs up into that budget.
Studious do creative bookkeeping like that all the time.
Old 10-25-03, 09:25 AM

Let's see here..

They gave Sam Rami $130 Mil or so to work with on the original Spier-man and he still couldn't give us decent customes / CG, so they upped it this time around in hopes the film will look impressive, yet I really doubt it.
Old 10-25-03, 12:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nowadays Hollywood filmmakers don't seem to make ANY attempt to be clever about finding ways to make their movies. Whatever tool is at their disposal, go for it and worry about the cost later. Seriously, $210 million? $130 million for a Charlie's Angels movie??? And going to Box Office Mojo, some of these budgets are nuts as well:

Seabiscuit - $87 mil
It's a wonderful movie, but you can't tell me there wasn't a way to make this for less.

Out of Time - $50 mil
It's a simple police thriller, with a few minor stunts. I know Denzel comes at a price, but come on! They were making this exact same type of movie ten years ago for a fraction of the cost.

Anger Management - $75 mil
$75 mil for a simple comedy? Yeah, star budgets, yada yada. Seriously, even if Adam and Jack pocketed $20 mil apiece you're still spending $35 mil on a basic comedy... the original Austion POwers cost $16.5 mil, Dumb & Dumber cost $17 mil (and $7 mil of that went to Carrey).

I'm aware there is inflation, but come on. In 1989 they made a huge deal out of Batman's record budget of $35 mil. Now studios pay over twice that for something that is far less complicated to shoot? I know I pay more on the stuff I buy than in 1989, but not THAT much more.
Old 10-26-03, 01:00 AM

I agree -
it completely baffles me how companies that companies that want a PROFIT from their product would 'allow' such outrageously overpriced costs to put their movies in a bad financial hole from the get-go.

I seriously doubt if these movies actually cost this - I think it's more likely that it's an accounting flim-flam, to gain them more profits in the long run (thru insurance, or taxes, or something).
Old 10-26-03, 01:38 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by reapersaurus
I seriously doubt if these movies actually cost this - I think it's more likely that it's an accounting flim-flam, to gain them more profits in the long run (thru insurance, or taxes, or something).
like "The Producers"?

maybe the budgets are inflated to get press. apparently, any press is good press.
Old 10-26-03, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by DRG
Nowadays Hollywood filmmakers don't seem to make ANY attempt to be clever about finding ways to make their movies. Whatever tool is at their disposal, go for it and worry about the cost later. Seriously, $210 million? $130 million for a Charlie's Angels movie??? And going to Box Office Mojo, some of these budgets are nuts as well:

Seabiscuit - $87 mil
It's a wonderful movie, but you can't tell me there wasn't a way to make this for less.

Out of Time - $50 mil
It's a simple police thriller, with a few minor stunts. I know Denzel comes at a price, but come on! They were making this exact same type of movie ten years ago for a fraction of the cost.

Anger Management - $75 mil
$75 mil for a simple comedy? Yeah, star budgets, yada yada. Seriously, even if Adam and Jack pocketed $20 mil apiece you're still spending $35 mil on a basic comedy... the original Austion POwers cost $16.5 mil, Dumb & Dumber cost $17 mil (and $7 mil of that went to Carrey).

I'm aware there is inflation, but come on. In 1989 they made a huge deal out of Batman's record budget of $35 mil. Now studios pay over twice that for something that is far less complicated to shoot? I know I pay more on the stuff I buy than in 1989, but not THAT much more.

Heh, I also wonder whey some of these movies cost so much. Look at 2fast2furious, it cost twice as much as fast to make and didn't look any better. In fact I thought it looked worse due to excessive CGI use, many of the stunts could have been done without the crappy CGI. There are some directors that can stretch a dollar though, Robert Rodriguez immediately comes to mind, but yes many aren't trying to save money like they could.
Old 10-26-03, 02:10 PM

Anyone know how much the entire LOTR: Trilogy has costed?
Old 10-26-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
A little off-topic but not really as I read the whole article in the LATIMES.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...71,print.story

And it's been in the trades lately that they're going to cut jobs at Sony...

Yeah, well that just sucks. Funny tho how the articles goes on to say:

Yeah yeah yeah.. Pascal overspends and keeps her job. Yet hundreds of hardworking people will lose theirs.

Gotta love Corporate America.

It was the same way with Disney a few years ago with Pearl Harbor. From what a I recall the week of the big premire on the air craft carrier a few thousand people were laid off. It upsets me but what are you going to do.
Old 10-26-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
Anyone know how much the entire LOTR: Trilogy has costed?

94,94, and 104 from IMDB.
Old 10-26-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they had to pay $20mil for each of Doc Oct's tentacles...
Old 10-27-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by BigDaddy
It was the same way with Disney a few years ago with Pearl Harbor. From what a I recall the week of the big premire on the air craft carrier a few thousand people were laid off. It upsets me but what are you going to do.
I'm already looking for a new job (as a precaution).
Old 10-27-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What an incredibly large amount of money. If they can make a huge 10+ hour epic fantasy movie with fantastic sets and FX (The entire LORT:EE) for around $300 million, it amazes me that a 2 hour action movie that probably isn't nearly as complicated costs 2/3 as much.

Brian
Old 10-27-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's because they make it simultaneously like they're making one movie. They'll only have to pay for one movie production instead of three, while we (the audiences) got to pay three times to watch them all.

Last edited by eedoon; 10-27-03 at 06:43 AM.