Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anime: do most people not like it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I do, if it is well done like Ninja Scroll or Ghost in the Shell. I hate Pokemon with a passion though.
I am posting this because a lot of people who had walk-outs on their screening of Kill Bill had them occur right about the time the anime sequence began; it happened at mine as well.
Furthermore, a lot of mainstream audiences who watched the more recent Matrix movie said it seemed really strange in its style, even though it was very obvious to me that it was anime type live action. I am starting to think that anime might be a geekboy thing more than anything else, which I think stinks as it is some good stuff.
Old 10-14-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to enjoy anime a lot from about 1996-1999. Lack of creativity, HORRIBLE use of computer aided animation in most stuff after 99, and above all else ANIME GEEKS ON THE INTERNET ruined it for me. I think my main problem is with the TV series, as I do tend to enjoy movies or short series much more. The TV shows are where the creativity is lacking the most, not to mention they have to flesh a story over 30 episodes which makes for plenty of weak stories, or 26 stupid shows and 4 good ones. Pretentious is the word that springs to mind when I hear anime.

When I first heard Kill Bill would have an anime segment I shook my head in disbelief.. but I ended up enjoying it. The style was different, and it was short and sweet. Other than being violent it didn't really fall into any of the anime stereo-types that caused me to hate the stuff so much.

Though, I'm still perplexed at how many people are paying attention to how many people are leaving and when, instead of paying attention to their movie.
Old 10-14-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm not nuts about it, but neither do I really dislike it. I've got a great appreciation for Miyazaki's movies that I've seen, for instance, but I haven't gotten into most of the rest I've seen. Part of it is that it all seems so off-putting to the outsiders, and I've got a heck of a lot in my life already that I'm a super-geek about, so I kind of leave anime to the experts. I have to admit the anime in Kill Bill was my least favorite part of an awesome movie -- the anime was technically very well done, but for me it was a jarring and unnecessary transition. I felt like it was just one big digression going into the past of a character who was really only there to get killed by Uma in the end anyway.
Old 10-14-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak for 'most people.' I CAN say with some confidence that people who are either narrow-minded when it comes to the storytelling possibilities of animation in the first place (i.e. 'cartoons are only good for this type of story), or who are exposed to bad examples of Japanese animation (of which there are plenty) will have a hard time getting into it.

I haven't seen Kill Bill yet but I get the impression that by the time that segment comes up, the reasons for walking out are more than the segment itself. Probably has more to do with the overall style and content of the film.
Old 10-14-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From my experience most people definitely "don't like it". Yeah, it has a HUGE & growing audience in the U.S., but that is still a far cry from "most people". It seems it's only those who have "geeky" interests or the younger crowd that dig Anime. What I mean is, the average Joe Moviegoer doesn't even know what Anime is, & when they finally see it, it's usually to weird for them. This Joe Moviegoer is the majority of people that go to the movies. Now the younger generation like Anime but even then most of the ones that do have "geeky" interests. Now what do I mean by these "geeky" interests. I mean, that they like comics, cartoons, REALLY into movies etc etc, which qualifies them as the minority. When I was in high school Anime was really hitting big in the states & 9/10 kids still either didn't know what it was or have no interest in it. I'm the exception b/c I have very geeky interests & I'm young yet I can't stand Anime. I also help run a comic book store, where 9/10 people LOVE Anime, but that is my point again of the "geeky" interests. It all looks the same to me, plus I'm just not into cartoons. I don't mean these views as an insult to anybody, I just see it as the way it is.

Last edited by Sessa17; 10-14-03 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Judging by how much bigger the anime industry is becoming in the U.S., it looks to me like anime is finding more of an audience with each passing day...
Old 10-14-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
I can't speak for 'most people.' I CAN say with some confidence that people who are either narrow-minded when it comes to the storytelling possibilities of animation in the first place (i.e. 'cartoons are only good for this type of story), or who are exposed to bad examples of Japanese animation (of which there are plenty) will have a hard time getting into it.
I completely disagree & can't stand this elitist type of attitude. I love complex stories, filmaking etc. I've seen the best Anime has to offer, I just don't like it. It all looks generaly the same to me. I'd rather see intricate plots & pushing of the envelope with live actors, that is more impressive & captivating to me, then Animation. It has nothing to do with "being narrow-minded", I'm more open to new things (although Anime is far from new) than anyone. Anime just doesn't do a thing for me.
Old 10-14-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I was getting into anime for a while, but I picked up several losers in a row and I've gotten away from it. Like any popular culture movement, as it becomes more popular, the overall quality of what's out there is bound to go down.
Old 10-14-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I fit almost all the profile of an anime geek (love videogames, asian male, used to collect comic books, wear glasses, etc!

But, I don't watch anime at all.

In fact, I think most of them are pretty asinine.

That's not to say that the art form blows. On the contrary, I think it can be a very powerful medium. I love Miyazaki's works, but I think the average anime film is nothing but teenage boy's fantasy.

At least that's how my friend puts it, and I agree.

I thought the anime part in Kill Bill was perfect, in execution, in style, in practicality (for ratings/appropriateness, etc), and I enjoyed it tremendously.

If there are more animes that are handled like that, I will watch them. But stuff like Dragon Ball Z is just too 'simple' for me. I tried watching it years ago when I was much younger, and it was one of the most boring moment in my life.
Old 10-14-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jason
I was getting into anime for a while, but I picked up several losers in a row and I've gotten away from it. Like any popular culture movement, as it becomes more popular, the overall quality of what's out there is bound to go down.
Most Excellent.

Lastblade, very well spoken too. Asinine is an excellent word to use here.

I still like the anime art style, I admit, very beautiful; I just can't get into the shows or the shallow characters anymore.
Old 10-14-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
I completely disagree & can't stand this elitist type of attitude. I love complex stories, filmaking etc. I've seen the best Anime has to offer, I just don't like it. It all looks generaly the same to me. I'd rather see intricate plots & pushing of the envelope with live actors, that is more impressive & captivating to me, then Animation. It has nothing to do with "being narrow-minded", I'm more open to new things (although Anime is far from new) than anyone. Anime just doesn't do a thing for me.
You're pretty quick though to whip out the 'elitist' card, which I expected in this discussion. I didn't say everyone who doesn't like anime fell into those categories. Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone's. What I was saying is that those views are largely prevalent in people who don't like anime.

It's very easy to understand when you consider that most people's animation diet consists of animation that is strictly aimed at children/families--this causes them to view animation as a 'genre' with pre-defined content and style rules rather than a medium which is what it truly is. Plus if they do try to watch anime, they are likely to go to their local Blockbuster and unresearched, pick up something off the shelf with a strong possibility that it will not be something of high quality.
Old 10-14-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Sessa17 •<HR SIZE=1>I completely disagree & can't stand this elitist type of attitude. I love complex stories, filmaking etc. I've seen the best Anime has to offer, I just don't like it. It all looks generaly the same to me. I'd rather see intricate plots & pushing of the envelope with live actors, that is more impressive & captivating to me, then Animation. It has nothing to do with "being narrow-minded", I'm more open to new things (although Anime is far from new) than anyone. Anime just doesn't do a thing for me. <HR SIZE=1>

Curb your outrage. He didn't say people who don't like it are narrow-minded. He said people who are "narrow-minded when it comes to the storytelling possibilities of animation" will have a hard time getting into it. Those two things are significantly different.

Anyway, discounting an entire style or genre because of its stinkers seems silly to me. It's like saying, "I hate live action because of Glitter." Every medium has its stinkers, from trash novels to bubblegum pop to Jeff Fahey movies to ... latter seasons of Will & Grace . Anime has its share of profound films that deserve respect like any other. The more crap that's made, though, the harder it will probably be for people to find those great films. I don't know if I can say that "most people" I know don't like it ... more like "most people" I know don't know much about it.

das
Old 10-14-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anime is just like any other medium in the world: maybe (and I stress MAYBE) 10% of it is any good and worth while. Of course, that's a given in any entertainment media, where you have mounds of books and CDs and movies and DVDs coming out every week, flooding the market, you are lucky to find 10% of any media that is worthwhile and good. Most of it is for a pop culture audience, most of it will be forgotten in a short while, and is very unsubstantial.

That's what I think of when I see a flood of anime products available in this country. There is so little out there that is substantially good. To me, it doesn't matter if it's anime, animation at all, or live action, or puppets. Just tell me a good story, that's the most important thing. I took Grave of the Fireflies over to a friend's house and they said they didn't want to watch it, they hate anime, but they really wound up liking the movie and even watched it again in their own free time. So that is an example of something good in anime being liked by somebody who generally does not like it, because they equate anime with Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon and other crap that floods the market. So, yeah, I think people generally don't like it because the substantial material doesn't get the exposure it deserves.

When I saw the animated sequence in Kill Bill, I thought that was so great, that it would give audiences who normally don't watch this kind of thing a chance to see that animation doesn't have to be Pokemon and kid's stuff. It's sad to hear of all the walk outs. I think those are the narrow minded people, IMO. To not even give it a chance....unbelieveable. Now, if they were walking out because of the violence or they just don't like that style of movie making, that's one thing, but if they stuck around, saw the animation and bolted for that reason and that reason alone, I am sorry for them.

Last edited by calhoun07; 10-14-03 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm still very much into anime, but like others have stated, the more popular it gets, the less in quality and more in quantity titles pop up. Not always for the best. I'm still into the series that I enjoy. But I pick them up early as I am really big on the fan sub scene. You have to work your way through some real duds before you get to a winner or two.
Old 10-14-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While I like what I see of anime, I must admit that my viewings have been limited to really good material.
My anime viewings consist of Akira, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and Animatrix, which is a debatable selection. Nevertheless they are all great visually and have very slick styles.
However, most anime does not come close to them in terms attention to detail. Most of it seems to be the lackluster Dragonball Z stuff (which I find lackluster, others may think differently) and the intolerable Poekmon and Digimon. I really can't stand the crap that features an individual's mouth taking up 80% of the face.
Old 10-14-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well that's to be expected. Anime is not just a specific type of film. it ranges. that would be like saying

"My exposure to movies is limited to the really good ones. Most movies on the other hand don't even come close to those top picks".

think of Anime as a broad aspect. some will tickle your fancy, others will make you puke. pick what you like.
Old 10-14-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I really can't stand the crap that features an individual's mouth taking up 80% of the face.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html
Old 10-14-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like some anime. I hate most anime fans. Sessa makes a good point. So many of those an71- DI$N3Y! people who praise anime as being so superior are quite annoying. Unfortunatley IMO most anime is not very good and a lot is down right crappy.
Old 10-14-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I hate about the anime I've seen is the cartoon depiction of energy - constant, rapid and irritating flashes of light, lightning, energy beams, that sort of thing. And the backgrounds that just flash and zap and flash and zap for no reason. Most of it is just too hyperactive for me. And yes, I know there are plenty that are not like that... but that's what I've seen.
Old 10-14-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I look at anime as another form of pop culture. There is a certain percent that I find worthwhile and a large amount that is crap in my opinion. The same goes for films, comics, books, music, etc. I certainly wouldn't like something just because it is anime, but if its something that I find entertaining and worthwhile, I don't judge it as lesser because it is anime instead of, say, live action.
Old 10-14-03, 06:35 PM

theres a handful of animes out there I love, but most of it is crap imo (the ones involving talking animals, female leads, collectable cards etc), I think the most annoying things about anime fans is when they argue with each other about subs and dubs
Old 10-14-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Much like when folks argue about Widescreen and fullscreen?

Old 10-14-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Some anime movies are among the best films ever made (Akira) but on the whole it's a really crappy genre.

Higher highs and lower lows.
Old 10-14-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. I'm surprised at the reactions here.

like I said.. might aswell say "Some TV shows are great and among the best of the best on tv right now.. but on the whole it's a really crappy time for shows"
Old 10-14-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Think it's fair to say that Anime is an aquired taste, but younger movie-watchers will get into it more easily?

To me, it's just another style of filmmaking. I own comparitively few Anime titles (you can probably guess which ones - Akira, Vampire Hunter D films, and I've got the Cowboy Bebop film on the way), but that's not to say the style of filmmaking is bad.

By the way, the anime segment in Kill Bill Volume One - fanfriggintastic. Fit right wih the style of the film.
One problem; anyone else think it looked a bit washed out?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.