Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Fish Trailer: New Tim Burton Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Big Fish Trailer: New Tim Burton Film

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this was really great. Definitely worth seeing. Albert Finney gave a spectacular performance. Jessica Lange is luminous, even though her role isn't so big.

I loved the tall tales, loved the visuals.
Old 01-02-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really enjoyed it, although the shots that were supposedly at Auburn University were actually filmed at Huntingdon College.

This was as close to getting choked up as I've ever been, I believe.
Old 01-02-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was probably my favorite movie of the year. I especially loved the scene where
Spoiler:
Lange and Finney were in the bathtub.
There was something so touching about that part.

Admittedly, it was neat to see some of the places they used in the film, like Huntingdon College, where my sister-in-law graduated from a few years ago. They made good use of some of our pretty scenery.
Old 01-07-04, 04:48 PM

This is a movie that has stayed with me since I saw it.

So many of the images/stories are very memorable and i've been a little obsessed with
Spoiler:
the Siamese Twins and then how they ended up looking at the funeral
Old 01-10-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazing film, just got back from this. Visually stunning, and a great story to boot. I didn't think that I'd get both.

Yup, it's a tearjerker. Not many movies do that to me.
Old 01-10-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes I quite liked this movie. At first I was a little put off by how different it was from a normal Tim Burton movie (I'm quite a fan so it was odd seeing him take a departure from the meloncholy and gothic feel) but in the end, quite an excellent movie. It definately had one of the strongest scripts and stories Burton has worked with and had a wonderful ending.
Old 01-10-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I loved the ending, too. It was pretty touching, IMO.
Old 01-10-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I liked it even more than I thought I would. So far my second best movie from last year (behind American Splendor).
Old 01-10-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What amazes me is that I've read some really harsh reviews/reactions to this film, but I suppose it's a film that provokes reactions (good or bad) depending on a person's own past baggage about their relationship with their parents.
Old 01-11-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hadn't paid attention to the trailer before going to see this (I went because my friends wanted to)...I really enjoyed it. I thought it was clever and sweet. I did a lot of crying at the end.

I suppose it may lack some as far wanting to rewatch it quite a few times, but I might buy it if it has some interesting extras.
Old 01-11-04, 05:03 PM

I thought it was a great movie, and I don't really like Tim Burton movies all that much. It was one of the best movies I've seen in theatres in a long time. Ewan McGregor is great and so is Billy Crudup who is one of my favorite actors. If this is a good DVD I will probably buy it.
Old 01-11-04, 08:53 PM

An excellent film. I too wept like a child. I knew it would deal with father/son issues, but damn. I'm curious, how does the film play for fathers (myself not having had the priveledge of being one yet)?
Old 01-11-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
**** out of *****.

Great flick - McGregor and Finney were excellent, as was the supporting cast.

They did a really good job of casting Alison Lohman as a young Jessica Lange.

Burton did a hell of a job w/ the ending.
Old 01-12-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this will probably seem really random, but I keep coming up short on Medium Big Fish T-Shirt auctions on ebay. If anyone has an extra blue one, I'd love to buy it or trade you some DVDs for it. I loved the movie. Lemme know. Thanks. =)

'E
Old 01-13-04, 03:44 PM

This movie was horrible. Or maybe i didnt understand it. But it was mainly pretty boring.. and un wizard of oz like.
Old 01-14-04, 11:48 PM

Before I submit my opinion on Big Fish, what exactly does "un wizard of oz like" mean?

I thought the movie was pretty close to being perfect. After wanting to catch it for so long and always missing it I decided to go today and was floored. Call me a big baby or maybe I have father/son issues, but it had me. I was crying in the theater once again and felt really moved by the ending especially.

It definitely has entered my top five for 2003 movies and I might have to catch it again sometime before it leaves theaters. I can definitely see how it might not work for some people though. However, I love Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney was just amazing in this. And of course, once my wife found out the movie she had turned down going to see a week ago had both Steve Buscemi and Billy Crudup in it, she got really pissed off.

Last edited by badger1997; 01-14-04 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i absolutely loved this film. it hit home for me on an emotional level. i haven't cried in a movie for a very long time...i balled like a 6 year old girl (cant believe i just admitted to crying at a movie ). anyway, the acting was superb and the movie, contrary to some of the reviews i have read, flowed very nicely for me. since lord of the rings is done with, i cant see any movie beating this one out anytime soon.
Old 01-15-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people, both men and women, had tears running down their faces as they were walking out of this film.

It is an amazing story, unlike anything I've seen before.

It has a few qualities of The Wizard of Oz but it is a really moving film.

I enjoyed the parts with Ewan McGregor more than the ones with Finney and Crudup.

It was a tad slow, but still a mesmerizing picture to say the least.

I'd be interested to hear a dvd commentary from Tim Burton, on his one-of-a-kind movie.
Old 01-15-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't expect to like the film all that much and I thought it was somewhat uneven early on, looking for the right tone. Once it found that consistent tone (about 1/3 of the way through) it just charmed the pants off me time after time.

***½ out of ****.
Old 01-15-04, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by movielib
I didn't expect to like the film all that much and I thought it was somewhat uneven early on, looking for the right tone. Once it found that consistent tone (about 1/3 of the way through) it just charmed the pants off me time after time.

***½ out of ****.
Damn, it must be embarassing (no pun intended) to walk out of a theater with no pants. Especially this time of year in a Madison winter.
Old 01-16-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see a lot of movies, but am rarely excited to see a movie. I've been looking forward to this movie for awhile and saw it a few days ago. Absolutely loved it. I thought it was just magical.

Also found it cute that it made my husband tear up at the end because he never cries in movies.
Old 01-16-04, 07:35 PM
Banned

Just got back from this. Bored me from start to finish. I had a minimal emotional connection to the characters, didn't really buy the son's attempts to reconcile, and the stories just annoyed me.
Old 01-17-04, 01:54 AM

I just got back from the show and I liked it a lot. I must agree the casting of Allison Lohman (White Oleander) was fantastic! The movie's visuals were spectacular in an understated, magical way. The movie touched me and I enjoyed every minute. Can't wait get this on DVD.
Old 01-18-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got to see this film last night and I really liked it. I must say Tim Burton did an amazing job directing this film. Hats off to him!! He made a very heartwarming and ambitious film.
Old 01-18-04, 10:57 PM

I saw the film on opening weekend and just watched it for the second time today. It's still amazing, even for the second viewing and is easily Tim Burtons best film ever.
I can't wait to own it on DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.