Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pixar Dumps Disney Deadweight

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one am glad to see this happen. After The Incredibles and Cars, Pixar will be on their own. They couldnt get a decent deal out of the mouse, so the next movie, Ratatouillie will be financed and released by PIXAR and only Pixar. Disney better hope they can start putting some successful animated films together, or their place in the film industry will be severely hurt.

This of course means, no Toy Story 3. That is unless they can broker a per picture deal with Disney.

Pixar will continue to be the great storyteller they have been all this time, but it also means that they will get to try more experimental, and adult oriented fare that John Lasseter had been wanting to do for some time. I believe one project Pixar has wanted to do, but had no support from Disney on was "On an Alien Shore"

Hopefully, this is just the beginning of a great force for creativity, unleashed.
Old 10-02-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but disney is anything but dead weight for pixar.

Why did you feel the need to start a new thread about this anyhow since you did post in the other thread.. might I add..

Pixar will be sole owner of "Ratatouille," and which studio serves it to the marketplace remains to be seen

Pixar wont be able to handle distribution by themselves. no way, no how. they will go to someone. who? Not sure but they will need help to distribute, promote and advertise and sell this picture.

As for disney's dead weight status.. yes, cause having your films characters in McDonalds Happy meals, huge theme parks, and with the simple disney logo under it really isn't all that much to offer. People value the disney logo. they will see anything if it has it. They can make it on their own. I'm sure of it, but it will be tough for them.

As for disney's future. They have films of their own, name recognition and other crap. they will last a while without pixar. they need each other just about the same. Brother bear will be out soon. Looks interesting enough, lets see how it goes. Considering disney's success so far this year with Pirates, I'm sure they can go back to the live action adventure films for a while and stay in good grounds.

as for Unleashed Pixar. Sorry, but the U.S. shores are still not ready for a fully adult oriented films. Animation is still a kids thing and it wont change any time soon.
Old 10-02-03, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think Disney helps Pixar more than it hurts them -- ask the average person and they will say Toy Story is a Disney movie, not a Pixar movie.
Old 10-02-03, 06:57 AM

Without the marketing and distribution power of Disney Pixar would not be the success it is today. I'm not sure were you get this "dead weight" thing from.
Pixar will continue to be the great storyteller they have been all this time, but it also means that they will get to try more experimental, and adult oriented fare that John Lasseter had been wanting to do for some time.
Experimental adult animated fare??? This may very well be the downfall of Pixar. They had better stick to what they do best which is fantastic animated kid flicks with wink and nod material thrown in for the parents in the crowd.

Like The Bus said, People think and know these as Disney films not Pixar movies.
Old 10-02-03, 07:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The real dead weight is the title Ratatouille. If they want anybody to see their movie, they should really change it.
Old 10-02-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
The real dead weight is the title Ratatouille. If they want anybody to see their movie, they should really change it.
Do you think Pixar will put Basil in the Ratatouille?
Old 10-02-03, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by garolo
Do you think Pixar will put Basil in the Ratatouille?
Basil is Hampster! Is not rat!
Old 10-02-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So sad.. so sad..
Old 10-02-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate Disney, right now.

I'd rather have Pixar on their own, just to see what happens.
Old 10-02-03, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by The Bus
I think Disney helps Pixar more than it hurts them -- ask the average person and they will say Toy Story is a Disney movie, not a Pixar movie.
Right...but that's HOW Disney hurts them!
Old 10-02-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still say Pixar leaving Disney is a good thing. The only downside(and this is a BIG one) is the lack of muscle behind distribution, advertising, and especially name recognition. But I stand firm with my belief that if Pixar keeps churning out top-notch animated films like they do then they have nothing to worry about. The public will go to see their movies no matter what. Even if they are advertised as "from the makers of Toy Story and Monsters, Inc" people will be interested.
Old 10-02-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Even if they are advertised as "from the makers of Toy Story and Monsters, Inc" people will be interested.
LAWD SAKES MAN! Have you forgotten Finding Nemo already?!?! Seriously, if Nemo takes some important Oscars next year that will give Pixar a serious boost. Of course all future toy markets like McDonald's will end up going to BK or Taco Bell since Disney has that all locked up...
Old 10-02-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
What really has disney done to hurt or bring down pixars success? I see all these Di$ney haters but no real explaination why or what they did that was so wrong?
Old 10-02-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
McDonalds has an exclusive contract with Disney? I find it hard to beleive that McD's would not kill themselves to get the "next" Nemo movie promoted in their stores.
Also with Pixar on their own, they could still be in the Disney Parks. Look at Lucas, his films have been distributed by Fox, yet his ride is in the Disney parks, so it is possible for Pixar to be in the parks if they are no longer distributed by Disney.
I think a non-exclusive contract with Disney having only distribution rights would be good for Pixar. They could still shop out some of their adult oriented to other companies.
Old 10-02-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is there a link for this news?
Old 10-02-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pixar's 2006 Project is Ratatouille Source: Los Angeles Times Wednesday, October 1, 2003

A new Los Angeles Times article has revealed the name of the new Pixar film scheduled for 2006. The article discusses the ongoing talks between Disney and Pixar about a new distribution deal.

After delivering "Finding Nemo" to Disney this spring, Jobs was contractually free to enter into a new distribution arrangement with another studio, although any new deal wouldn't take effect until after the release of "Cars" in 2005. The huge success of "Nemo" -- it has taken in $334 million at the U.S. box office and become the highest-grossing animated film in history -- only boosted a bargaining position that was already strong.

Flush with cash, Pixar last February approved production on what is intended to become the first movie outside the existing Disney deal. Jobs has tried to keep details of this so-called "Project 2006" under wraps, though details have leaked in various news reports.

The new film has been said to be about a rat named "Ratatouille," who lives in a fancy Parisian restaurant. The picture is being directed by Jan Pinkava, who made Pixar's 1998 Oscar-winning short, "Geri's Game."

Pixar will be sole owner of "Ratatouille," and which studio serves it to the marketplace remains to be seen.
Old 10-02-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
What really has disney done to hurt or bring down pixars success? I see all these Di$ney haters but no real explaination why or what they did that was so wrong?
And do we really need another thread about it..?
Old 10-02-03, 10:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Dreamworks would stomp all over Disney if they got distributor rights to Pixar's films. (and their DVD's would finally have DTS sound to boot )
Old 10-02-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
How about emotional extorsion? You don't love your children if you do not buy this for them. They run a huge ad campeign that a movie is going into the vault for 10 years so you better buy it now. They have done this continually since the release of Disney on VHS.

What about price gouging? Look at any Disney release, then another non-Disney release. Anywhere from a $5-10 price difference. (I will add that I was surprised that the food at Disney World was not as high as I expected).

What about Clamshells or Tins? How many people hate these odd shaped cases? (Okay so this is minor, but still a valid reason)
Old 10-02-03, 11:29 AM

Those are reasons YOU hate Disney, Cusm. They have nothing to do with the success of Pixar's films, which is what the question posed was asking.
Old 10-02-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually those are things I do not agree with Disney. I am not really a hater. I thought he was asking about the hate in general. I think most people feel the mouse is getting a free ride on Pixar's back (and I can see this being more true than false).
Old 10-02-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hell, I couldn't even understand Cusm's post. It's obvious Disney hasn't done a thing to hurt Pixar's success. Disney not only marketed the hell out of Pixar's films, but they also paid for that marketing. Disney also distributed them in awesome 2-disc DVD sets and paid for that as well. Yoou better not forget that Disney also pays for half the production costs of each film.

As for Pixar's first film without Disney, Ratatouille.....or whatever it is, sounds like it could be their first bomb. Doesn't sound to good. You know it's going to happen sooner or later. If Pixar goes out on their own, they're going to find out what it's like to have to foot the entire bill themselves. It'll be a different story then. One bomb and they could be in trouble, especially without Disney backing them up.

Last edited by Terrell; 10-02-03 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Cusm
Actually those are things I do not agree with Disney. I am not really a hater. I thought he was asking about the hate in general. I think most people feel the mouse is getting a free ride on Pixar's back (and I can see this being more true than false).
And Pixar is getting a lot in return...big distribution, merchandising, and the endorsement of a recognizable brand name. It's a two-way street.

Do you honestly think Toy Story would have been the hit it was if it was privately distributed with no merchandising and a low advertising budget?
Old 10-02-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about a boatload of money as well. Pixar isn't footing the entire bill themselves. Disney is paying for a lot themselves.
Old 10-02-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

yup. when studios work together they can share the profits and absorb the flops a lot easier. for a company like disney, one or two flops in a row wont do much to bring them down. But for pixar, if they are on their own and film flops it can really hurt them for some time to come. it's easier to take the hits if you work together.

Another note for the goods. Disney is filled with pixar stuff to promote the films. Bugs life show, toy story themed area's. there is even a Pizza place in MGM just based around the pizza joint in the film. these things staple something in a kids head. it allows for the characters to live on and on so when the next re-release of the disney film is out it will be bought. Is it Hasbro that has the disney partnership for toys? Toy Story would be in the pile of CGI films that the other animated films are in without the constant reminder of it through the theme parks and the airing of it on ABC which disney also owns.

as for the whole OOP.. All studio's do this. they stop production of a film for the reasons that there is to many in circulation at the time and there is no point since they feel that those who were going to buy it have already done so. cut production and all is good. At the very least disney tells you before hand that they are going to do it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.