Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you guys think there is a better war movie than FMJ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you guys think there is a better war movie than FMJ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No mention of Patton yet?

This is a wonderful movie. Not only does it deal with the war, but the ambitions, motivations, and flaws of a military genius.
Old 09-30-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by garolo
Hiro11:
I wouldn't consider Ran a war movie. Indeed a battle for control does take place in the movie it isn't really about war, per se.

So then, what is the definition of a "war movie". In my opinion, the central theme of a war movie has to be two sovereignties fighting and/or the stories of the combatant(s) or those in someway involved in that war. If not, then Mrs. Minnerva, The African Queen or Casablaca could and should be considered war movies too.
Potato, potahto. Ran has more memorable epic battle scenes than any movie I can think of, is focused on a war between brothers and father, it's signature images are all soldiers in full battle dress charging around, the tragic reasons behind the war drive the entire plot...if Ran isn't a war movie, I don't know what is.
Old 09-30-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
Potato, potahto. Ran has more memorable epic battle scenes than any movie I can think of, is focused on a war between brothers and father, it's signature images are all soldiers in full battle dress charging around, the tragic reasons behind the war drive the entire plot...if Ran isn't a war movie, I don't know what is.
Then would consider the following to be 'war' movies?:

Throne of Blood (yes, IMO)
The Hidden Fortress (yes)
Sanjuro (no, although there are two warring factions)
Samurai I, II, III (yes,no,no)
Seven Samurai (absolutely yes)
POW movies , the Great Escape, the Mackenzie Break, etc(sorry to stray from the theme here)
Captain Blood

It's seems that within "war movies" there could be quite a few subgenres.

Last edited by garolo; 09-30-03 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-30-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Come and See"

Jepthah is right - it is incredibly difficult to watch this film. But it makes Full Metal Jacket seem like Willy Wonka in comparison.
Old 09-30-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Full Metal Jacket was, and still is, overhyped in my opinion.
Old 09-30-03, 11:45 AM

I have no opinion on what's 'best', but my favorites are Glory, and Shenandoah.
Old 09-30-03, 11:50 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Platoon
The Thin Red Line

But I really don't like FMJ. The first half is great, second half isn't IMO.
Old 09-30-03, 12:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
OT: If you like R. Lee Ermey, you should check out Switchback (the Danny Glover/Dennis Quaid thriller). His performance is a complete 180 from Full Metal Jacket, and the sub-plot involving his character is far more interesting than the main story.
Old 09-30-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As has already been pointed out several times in this thread, FMJ isn't even Kubrick's best "war" film, that honor goes to Paths Of Glory... Our thread starter will never know though, isamu doesn't watch black and white films.

On top of that, yes, there are many war films that are better than FMJ... Kubrick is my favorite director, easily, but FMJ (while an excellent film) is not one of his masterworks... Paths Of Glory, 2001: ASO, Clockwork, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Spartacus, Strangelove, EWS... All are better Kubrick films.
Old 09-30-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As mentioned before, the first part of Full Metal Jacket is great, the second half is pointless. I don't even consider the first half of FMJ to be really a war movie, because its just about training, etc.

Here are my pics:

Bridge Over River Kwai
The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan
Blackhawk Down
Das Boot
Old 09-30-03, 03:57 PM
Rest in Peace

No I think "Courage Under Fire" with a serious Meg Ryan is.
Old 09-30-03, 04:08 PM

my favorites in alphabetical order:

black hawk down
bridge on the river kwai
das boot
saving private ryan
thin red line, the
Old 09-30-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I pretty much think the majority of people liek SPR the best, and I agree. It is honestly a great great movie, and was shocked it didnt win Best Picture over Shakespear In Love(which was a good movie IMO)

Edit for brain fart and putting wrong movie in

Last edited by REL77; 10-03-03 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 04:58 PM

There are a few select great war movies, and I personally don't put FMJ in the top tier. For me it is:

Glory
Platoon
Band of Brothers (a 10 hour war movie)
Bridge on the River Kwai
Das Boot

Those five are about as good as it gets, IMO.

SPR is pretty darn good too. Enemy at the Gates was reasonably good with a superb visual description of Stalingrad in '42. If it weren't for the massive historical blunder that the plot rests on it would rank much higher.
Old 09-30-03, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Hiro11
Yes but you are starting to flirt with other genres...if that's the case
Braveheart owns you ALL!!
Old 09-30-03, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
As has already been pointed out several times in this thread, FMJ isn't even Kubrick's best "war" film, that honor goes to Paths Of Glory... Our thread starter will never know though, isamu doesn't watch black and white films.

On top of that, yes, there are many war films that are better than FMJ... Kubrick is my favorite director, easily, but FMJ (while an excellent film) is not one of his masterworks... Paths Of Glory, 2001: ASO, Clockwork, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Spartacus, Strangelove, EWS... All are better Kubrick films.
Aww C'mon...I'd of easily given PoG a courtesy viewing if only to compare it to FMJ, had it been included in the box set. Dunno if I want to go through the trouble of buying it though. Should I?

Oh and Barely Lyndon better than FMJ???... C'mon John.
Old 09-30-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by REL77
I pretty much think the majority of people liek SPR the best, and I agree. It is honestly a great great movie, and was shocked it didnt win Best Picture over American Beauty (which was a good movie IMO)
Count me in the minority... SPR was a mildly interesting, formula driven, Spielberg heart string flick for the masses.

isamu - til you're blue in the face, Barry Lyndon is a better film than FMJ will ever be. Kubrick would tell you that, if he were here to do so... Kubrick fans, back me up here. Like I said, FMJ is an excellent film, but it doesn't come close to Barry Lyndon - possibly the most technically impressive film ever shot, from a master of technical film production. Should you buy Paths Of Glory? I dunno... Given your track record on Kubrick in the past, I'd venture a no... POG resembles FMJ only if you look at both as anti-war films, which they are. Otherwise, POG is the superior film from opening to closing shot.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 09-30-03 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Sergeant York.
Old 10-01-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
I know it may technically not qualify as a movie, but for me Band of Brothers is my favorite war flick of all time. I've probably seen all 10 episodes a dozen times, and it never ceases to amaze me how incredible it is.
Old 10-01-03, 12:00 PM

Band of Brothers is, without a doubt, the greatest war film I have ever seen.
Old 10-01-03, 02:17 PM
Cool New Member

Ran and Das Boot are, in my opinion, the best war movies ever made.

-J
Old 10-01-03, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by REL77
I pretty much think the majority of people liek SPR the best, and I agree. It is honestly a great great movie, and was shocked it didnt win Best Picture over American Beauty (which was a good movie IMO)
SPR (and Thin Red Line) lost to Shakespeare in Love. American Beauty was later.
Old 10-01-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the bootcamp experience in FMJ is incredibly realistic. Short of a guy shooting himself and recruits sleeping with their rifles, I saw pretty much everything else in the flick as consistant with my own bootcamp experience. This half of the movie is greatness IMO. The second half of the movie, IMO, is merely average. I understand the relationship between the two halves is vital to the story etc etc but still, the 2nd half wasnt all that great. Platoon or Saving Private Ryan are atleast as good.

j
Old 10-01-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Count me in the minority... SPR was a mildly interesting, formula driven, Spielberg heart string flick for the masses.
formula driven is debatable I guess... the other 2 comments are just silly.

It may be "mildly interesting" to you... but Spielberg obviously intended to show what the landing was like and the face of the war on the western front after said landing. Veterans I have talked to seem to think he did a pretty good job of that. Is SPR exactly what every GI experienced? Of course not. The US had almost 10 million men under arms in WWII... and they had 10 million different experiences. I think Spielberg did a pretty good job of creating a composite which was digestable to non-grunts. I can only wonder why anyone would watch a war movie for a reason other than getting a glimpse of what war is. Confusion, horror, fear, courage etc etc were pretty well depicted IMO... if it was only "mildly interesting" maybe you need to watch a different kind of film.

the "heart string flick" comment is silly as well. Isn't it his job as a director to get the audience to feel a certain way? You make it sound like some sort of gimmick. Spielberg doesn't need to use gimmicks, and its not like he's in it for the money at this point.

j
Old 10-01-03, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally posted by jekbrown
Spielberg doesn't need to use gimmicks...
A time-travelling DeLorean?
An alien creature that can make a bicycle fly?

Most fictional movies use gimmicks, Speilberg's included.

(and I don't necessarily think the gimmicks are bad things)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.