Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Didn't Jerry Seinfeld Make Movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is he too rich or something? Just seems like the logical step for a successful TV actor and comedian...

Anyone know?
Old 09-25-03, 07:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, there was Comedian.

Just not his thing. He's not much of an actor, and the success of his television show was due to the ensemble cast rather than just Jerry himself.
Old 09-25-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from watching Comedian, I think he accomplished what he wanted too and has changed his priorities.. he is super successful and now wants to spend time with his family
Old 09-25-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
He's been asked this question in stand-up appearances. He says he doesn't want to get involved in a project and realize half way through that it's going to suck. He said the only honest thing to do in that situation would be to (in the movie) look out at the audience and say "I'm sorry. I know this sucks, but I'm under contract!"
Old 09-25-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I know personally he started to grate on me during a 22 minute sitcom episode. I couldn't sit through an hour and a half of Seinfeld on the big screen.
Old 09-25-03, 12:16 PM

I would say that calling him grating is an extreme minority opinion. Seinfeld was the most successful sitcom in TV history.
Old 09-25-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Plus i think it would incredibly hard to take on any role other then being "Seinfeld." It's one of those things where he'll always be recognized as that character.
Old 09-25-03, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by kcbrett5
I would say that calling him grating is an extreme minority opinion. Seinfeld was the most successful sitcom in TV history.
What's your basis for this statement? Don't get me wrong, I love the show...but what constitutes "most successful"? What about All In The Family, which was the number one show on TV from 1971 through 1976? What about MASH and Cheers, which were two of the longest running sitcoms? And you can throw Married With Children in there too, because I think it ran a year longer than MASH or Cheers. And I don't know how old you are, but when I was a kid noboby...and I mean nobody...missed Happy Days when it was on in its prime. And what about The Honeymooners? I Love Lucy? The Cosby Show?

Sorry, I like Seinfeld a lot, but it isn't the most successul sitcom in TV history - unless perhaps you are referring to revenues from advertizers or something like that...
Old 09-25-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well it has been called the number one sitcom of all time (E!) and the number one show of all time (tv guide)
Old 09-25-03, 06:58 PM

he's pretty funny, but has he ever done anything that didn't consist of his regular shtick? I just can't picture him acting like a normal human being...
Old 09-25-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Listen to the last track on his "I'm telling you for the last time" CD. There's a Q & A. It's also on the DVD. One of the questions is when he's going to do a movie. His response is basically what Shannon Nutt said.
Old 09-26-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
can you imagine Jerry in a ... romantic comedy?
the funny sidekick in some buddy movie? (would he accept that role)
A serious drama?
A period piece?
Lead dectective in a cop movie?
The hero in an action movie?
His sitcom has defined him. To many people he will be that Jerry Seinfield that he was in the sitcom. I don't think people will accept him in other roles ... and he probably know this.

The only path I think he *could* chose would be to follow Ray Romano or Tim Allen and take speaking roles in animated films.
Plus they don't really have the "movie star face or look"
my 2 cents.
Oh and I think Jerry is not really funny and I never understand the appeal of his sitcom.
<----- puts on flame suit.
Old 09-26-03, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
well it has been called the number one sitcom of all time (E!) and the number one show of all time (tv guide)
Well, those are two unimpeachable sources! [Insert heavy sarcasm here!]
Old 09-26-03, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
It would be impossible to officialy crown 'The Most Sucessful Sit-com of All Time', but Seinfeld would defienetly be up there. It deserves this title for the length it ran, the size of it's audience, and most important I think, the contributions it made to people's cultural reference. If you would drop in phrases like 'Master of my domain', 'Yadda yadda yadda', 'No soup for you!' into your conversation, most people would get the reference. It was one of those pop-culture things like the Spice Girls or Star Wars, that even if you never read/listened/watched, you still had an understanding of it. For instance I've never seen an episode of Survivor, but I still got the (many, dear God so many) 'You're voted off the island' jokes people cracked.
Old 09-26-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Certainly the most succesful live-action sitcom since 1990...
Old 09-26-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I've never seen an episode of Survivor, but I still got the (many, dear God so many) 'You're voted off the island' jokes people cracked.
The tribe Crocker has spoken
Old 09-26-03, 10:20 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I would say that as far as longevity after new shows produced have ceased, I Love Lucy would be the most successful sitcom. It would be hard to sustain laughs through a 90 min movie by the type of comedian that Seinfeld is.
Old 09-26-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I always thought he was an awful actor on the show but that was one of the things that made it so funny. He was just being himself but when he had to get excited or show another emotion it was laughable (which was a good thing)
Old 09-26-03, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
... most important I think, the contributions it made to people's cultural reference. If you would drop in phrases like 'Master of my domain', 'Yadda yadda yadda', 'No soup for you!' into your conversation, most people would get the reference.
Yada, Yada, Yada was in the lingo long before SEINFELD.

But lots of sitcoms have catch phrases:

"Stifel it" & "Meathead" - All in the Family
"Sit on it" - Happy Days
"Whachotalkingbout" - Diff'rent Strokes
"How you doin'?" - Friends

and I'm sure plenty more that aren't coming to mind right now...
Old 09-26-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally posted by Spooky
Yada, Yada, Yada was in the lingo long before SEINFELD.

But lots of sitcoms have catch phrases:

"Stifel it" & "Meathead" - All in the Family
"Sit on it" - Happy Days
"Whachotalkingbout" - Diff'rent Strokes
"How you doin'?" - Friends

and I'm sure plenty more that aren't coming to mind right now...
With the exception of Diff'rent Strokes, I would say that those are all very sucessful sit-coms.