Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best modern horror dvd???

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen a ton of movies, and have a pretty solid dvd collection. But i cannot remember the last time i have seen a truly scary movie. The ring was not bad, but i never really was scared. I kinda miss the days when i was younger and used to really scared watching Children of the Corn or something like that. Anyway enough rambling, I did a search and could not find anything. So does anyone have any advice on what to look into? Preciate it

Edit: Im gonna put in some opinions to help with recs

Joy Ride-Horrible
The Shinning-Horrible
The Thing-Horrible
Blair Witch-Horrible
Signs-Horrible

Frality-Good Movie, but not Scary

The Ring-Above Average

Also, i think session 9 looks very good, something i would like. And to clarify, im looking for something that is scary on both the immediate and deep level. But if anything excels in either category ill probably pick it up 2. Dont know if I can handle the fright of "From Justin to Kelly" though. Anyway thanks for the help.

P.S. Something that is out and makes for a good dvd purchase

Last edited by jv3x3; 09-24-03 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're not exactly brand-new, but have you tried Exorcist III or maybe Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me?
Old 09-24-03, 08:06 PM

I love horror movies. But not because they scare me. I'm not sure why gore and violence amuses me, but I laugh when I see people being murdered in gruesome ways. However, there are a few movies that have registered on my scare-o-meter lately. Firstly, The Ring, both the Japanese and American re-make. I loved the tension the Japanese original creates. Secondly, the admittedly similar Phone from Korea. Thirdly, 28 Days Later scared me in the theatre, mostly in the jumpy way, but also on a deeper level (the "what if?" factor).

That being said, this will probably get moved to the movie talk section.
Old 09-24-03, 08:06 PM

I don't know if it counts as true "horror" but Frailty is a modern movie that scared me badly.
Old 09-24-03, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Session 9
Old 09-24-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"From Justin to Kelly"?
Old 09-24-03, 09:48 PM

Candyman
Old 09-24-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw a few minutes of Omen and it brought back scary memories I had as a kid. It is an older movie but it still freaks me out.
Old 09-24-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what year did we change over to modern? I wont shout out any titles. instead I'll just say that most modern horror blows....and if I want to feel creepy and uncomfortable....I'll stick to older euro-horror or something recent from Japan or Germany. it's hard for me to really get scared watching a film...I'm a little too old. but I like to be shocked and repulsed until I piss my pants. it's a whole 'nother ball game. check out my collection for decent horror titles.

I like watching dizzy bimbos get their throats cut deep, popped out eyeballs, nekromantik sex, nuns being whipped..then turned-on....that kind a stuff.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 09-24-03 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Well, looking over what movies you consider horrible, I doubt I'll be any help. However, I have recommended Dagon quite a bit. It is based on a Lovercraft story, and while not really scary, it is fun.
Old 09-25-03, 12:08 AM

Stir Of Echos isn't all that scary but is definetly worth checking out.
Old 09-25-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SunMonkey
Well, looking over what movies you consider horrible, I doubt I'll be any help. However, I have recommended Dagon quite a bit. It is based on a Lovercraft story, and while not really scary, it is fun.
Good movie I would add Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps, and May.
Old 09-25-03, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Audition!
Old 09-25-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What Lies Beneath. I don't know why but that movie scares the shit out of me. [shudder]
Old 09-25-03, 09:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
For me, a good horror film doesn't necessarily have to be scary to be good: Here is my list of what I feel are examples of some the best the genre has to offer.

Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone - a chilling haunting film (not traditinoally scary) that relys on the it's character and riveting storyline.

The Others - best jump-scare in years. Ultra-creepy, and cringe-inducing 5.1 soundmix. (This movie deserves alot more credit then it's received)

Hellraiser Clive Barker's impressive film version of the short story incorporating eroticism and depraviety that only Barker can write about.

Nekromantic - sick, sick, sick,

Basket Case and Brain Damage - both similiarily themed and totally original gore flicks that have never been imitated.

ReAnimator best tongue-in cheek (literally) zombie gore fest.

Society Think Beverly Hills 90210 gone horribly wrong, totally insane ending that has to be seen to be believed.

Wes Craven's The People Under the Stairs and The Serpent and the Rainbow are also films that I recommend.

Last edited by Giles; 09-25-03 at 09:59 AM.