Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New EP3 Anakin Pic

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
arranged for robots to kill the 5 familes at the end
Well, I can't debate the Godfather movies as I can't stand them. I hate mobster movies and the like. But that's just my opinion.

But I think we all long to be part of history. To have films stand the test of time.
There is no debate here. The Star Wars trilogy has stood the test of time perhaps as good or better than any other film ever has. The constant debate and talk of Star Wars all over the internet is proof of that. It has stood that test of time for a quarter century. Roger Ebert is correct when he states the Star Wars trilogy will be remembered a hundred years from now along with other great films such as The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind.

If you're old enough to have seen the Star Wars trilogy in theaters, you have been a part of history. I know I was, because while I was quite young, I do remember seeing Empire and Jedi in theaters. So I was a part of history. So were you. So what was the point again?

As it is now, Lucas has monkeyed with that potential.
No he hasn't. The SW trilogy has stood the test of time, and will continue to do so. Disappointment by some in the prequels hasn't changed that one iota. It may affect the prequel trilogy's ability to stand the test of time, but not the original trilogy. To be honest, all movies stand the test of time to some extent, if people continue to watch and remember them. Some just do it better than others.

by then Lucas will just be a head in a jar with a cord hooked to him so he can do the CGI himself
Nah, Episode III is the end of Star Wars on the big screen, forever.
Old 09-19-03, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know.........course i never thought we'd see episode 1-3 either but anything further won't happen
Old 09-19-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Terrell
If you're old enough to have seen the Star Wars trilogy in theaters, you have been a part of history. I know I was, because while I was quite young, I do remember seeing Empire and Jedi in theaters. So I was a part of history. So were you. So what was the point again?

No he hasn't. The SW trilogy has stood the test of time, and will continue to do so. Disappointment by some in the prequels hasn't changed that one iota. It may affect the prequel trilogy's ability to stand the test of time, but not the original trilogy. To be honest, all movies stand the test of time to some extent, if people continue to watch and remember them. Some just do it better than others.

Nah, Episode III is the end of Star Wars on the big screen, forever.
Yes I was there for Empire and Jedi. I remember that magic. But the fatal flaw in your logic is to assume that the Star Wars films will be recalled as two separate trilogies in the years ahead. I submit, once the cycle is complete with Episode III, it will become the Star Wars sixlogy(or however you'd say a six part series). The flow to the films is such that you can spend a good long Sunday watching them all back to back to back(and eventually back to back to back to back). But the continuity of quality has been disrupted where I stand, and if you view Star Wars as a whole, not just individual films, then I think the franchise is right now on the ropes as a whole, and could be knocked out with a bad to medicre episode III.
Old 09-19-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Yes I was there for Empire and Jedi. I remember that magic. But the fatal flaw in your logic is to assume that the Star Wars films will be recalled as two separate trilogies in the years ahead.
Don't be so sure to bet against that. I know a lot of people (some around here) who claim that there is NO Superman 3 or 4 or that there ever was a Batman & Robin film. No matter what you say, it'll always be Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy for the majority of the people.
Old 09-19-03, 06:03 PM

I submit, once the cycle is complete with Episode III, it will become the Star Wars sixlogy(or however you'd say a six part series).
Nature Boy, whether they become one sixology, or whatever you want to call it, the fact is the originals have stood the test of time for 25 years. They're not going to suddenly stop standing the test of time, no matter how much it's argued. The impact that these films had are so great that they're going to be remembered long after you and I have left this earth. 25 years of history and the phenomenal impact the films had is not suddenly wiped about by two films that disappointed some people. How you come to that logic I'll never know. Do you honestly believe that in an instant, everything about these films and their history, suddenly disappears. C'mon, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Old 09-19-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nature Boy, whether they become one sixology, or whatever you want to call it, the fact is the originals have stood the test of time for 25 years. They're not going to suddenly stop standing the test of time, no matter how much it's argued. The impact that these films had are so great that they're going to be remembered long after you and I have left this earth. 25 years of history and the phenomenal impact the films had is not suddenly wiped about by two films that disappointed some people. How you come to that logic I'll never know. Do you honestly believe that in an instant, everything about these films and their history, suddenly disappears. C'mon, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Well where am I saying the impact will be diminished? Or eliminated, or anything of the sort? I am saying it will resonate less WITH ME. And by the words of many others, I"m not completely alone on this.

By the way, the film has already lost impact with today's generation. Most reference the Lord of the Rings or the Matrix as their trilogies of choice. In no small part because the last two Episodes haven't done a thing for them, obviously.
Old 09-20-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Well where am I saying the impact will be diminished? Or eliminated, or anything of the sort? I am saying it will resonate less WITH ME. And by the words of many others, I"m not completely alone on this.

By the way, the film has already lost impact with today's generation. Most reference the Lord of the Rings or the Matrix as their trilogies of choice. In no small part because the last two Episodes haven't done a thing for them, obviously.
You may not be alone but I think the point Terell is trying to drive home is that the "Arguemnts" or "Views" you have are not original, and have been beaten to death on these boards. Whether or not you like or dislike the prequels is ok but he has a hard time believing you because you claim you dislike two prequels yet you own them....contradicting isnt it? And to hell with "today's generation" As we sit here typing away somewhere there is an older brother, a mom, dad, or sister talking to there borther, son, or daughter about a trilogy of movies that they enjoyed when they were younger. Who cares if kids or young adults prefer trenchcoats and machine guns to lightsabers and blasters. Who cares what they think because for every two or three of them there are milllions upon millions of people who still enjoy these films. Now Im begging...can we please stay on topic?
Old 09-20-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While you guys argue about grammar and Lucas and the trilogy and the like just wanted to add: Hayden lookes darn good with that semi-mullet.
Old 09-20-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hayden Christensen's next gig:

The Shadoe Stevens Story!
Old 09-20-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-20-03, 11:24 AM

Says who, you? There is absolutely no evidence to that fact. People who talk about movies on message boards and chat rooms make up a significantly small percentage of movie fans. Extremely small. I'd bet more people prefer the original trilogy to the LOTR. But I have no proof of that, just as you have no proof that LOTR is preferred over the original SW trilogy by more people. I seriously doubt that, but we'll see. As for Matrix, don't even bring it into this. It does not come close to Star Wars trilogy in terms of following and popularity, much less LOTR.

As for whether it's lost it's impact, I find that funny considering you and I just wasted 2 pages arguing about Star Wars. Seems to me it hasn't lost it's impact at all. Why do so many people all over the internet waste so much time talking about something that's lost it's impact? Beyond me. If the original SW trilogy outsells LOTR on DVD, then that totally blows your theory out of the water.

As for LOTR, last thing I want to get into is a LOTR vs. SW argument. I will say this. While we can debate the quality of the movies, there is no debate when it comes to impact. The LOTR films doesn't come close to having the kind of impact Star Wars had on the film industry, popular culture, and a generation of people.

In the end Nature Boy, your arguments about SW, especially the originals, is noted. But the evidence suggests you are clearly wrong.

While you guys argue about grammar and Lucas and the trilogy and the like just wanted to add: Hayden lookes darn good with that semi-mullet.
We sort of taken this thread way off argument haven't we.
Old 09-21-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Says who, you? There is absolutely no evidence to that fact. People who talk about movies on message boards and chat rooms make up a significantly small percentage of movie fans. Extremely small. I'd bet more people prefer the original trilogy to the LOTR. But I have no proof of that, just as you have no proof that LOTR is preferred over the original SW trilogy by more people. I seriously doubt that, but we'll see. As for Matrix, don't even bring it into this. It does not come close to Star Wars trilogy in terms of following and popularity, much less LOTR.

As for whether it's lost it's impact, I find that funny considering you and I just wasted 2 pages arguing about Star Wars. Seems to me it hasn't lost it's impact at all. Why do so many people all over the internet waste so much time talking about something that's lost it's impact? Beyond me. If the original SW trilogy outsells LOTR on DVD, then that totally blows your theory out of the water.

As for LOTR, last thing I want to get into is a LOTR vs. SW argument. I will say this. While we can debate the quality of the movies, there is no debate when it comes to impact. The LOTR films doesn't come close to having the kind of impact Star Wars had on the film industry, popular culture, and a generation of people.

In the end Nature Boy, your arguments about SW, especially the originals, is noted. But the evidence suggests you are clearly wrong.

We sort of taken this thread way off argument haven't we.
My evidence is 100 percent annectdotal, through and through. But I do work as a substitute teacher, so I do have periodic contact with the 12-18 demo, and I can tell you, there is just no "buzz" on Star Wars. Buzz is not an empirically defined element, but just what you can observe when you open your eyes and listen with your ears. Don't misunderstand me, my point was the the PAIN I feel when kids today compare LOTR and the Matrix stuff to Star Wars. I just feel so saddened, and I guess I shouldn't, but I do. I think in my heart, it's because I want to share the joy I felt discovering Star Wars, and these kids have been given no reason to TRULY get behind Star Wars. Hell, there will ALWAYS been teenage fans of star wars, as will the be Trekkies and Deadheads. But the widespread fire wasn't there. Now should it matter so long as I enjoy it? No. But so much of the Star Wars fun was the community of the experience. And on top of it all, the movies themselves haven't sat well with me, but that's another argument for another day.

I mean, as for our debate, it's a small a sample as you can have. Two mid20somethings bantering over this. We're probably at the high end of the last truly devoted fans.

Look, I agree we're chasing out tails here, but for one last sample, go to your multiplex this fall, when the Matrix and LOTR come out. Check the lines for the film or duck your heads in a few theaters and check out how old the audiences are. And then do the same for Episode III, and then tell me about the impact and which films are speaking to which generations.
Old 09-21-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My evidence is 100 percent annectdotal, through and through. But I do work as a substitute teacher, so I do have periodic contact with the 12-18 demo, and I can tell you, there is just no "buzz" on Star Wars. Buzz is not an empirically defined element, but just what you can observe when you open your eyes and listen with your ears. Don't misunderstand me, my point was the the PAIN I feel when kids today compare LOTR and the Matrix stuff to Star Wars. I just feel so saddened, and I guess I shouldn't, but I do.
...so would you say your childhood is being..dare I say....raped?

I mean, as for our debate, it's a small a sample as you can have. Two mid20somethings bantering over this. We're probably at the high end of the last truly devoted fans
Ok this is stupid..but please define for me "truly devoted fan" WTF does that mean?
Old 09-21-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
My evidence is 100 percent annectdotal, through and through. But I do work as a substitute teacher, so I do have periodic contact with the 12-18 demo, and I can tell you, there is just no "buzz" on Star Wars. Buzz is not an empirically defined element, but just what you can observe when you open your eyes and listen with your ears. Don't misunderstand me, my point was the the PAIN I feel when kids today compare LOTR and the Matrix stuff to Star Wars. I just feel so saddened, and I guess I shouldn't, but I do. I think in my heart, it's because I want to share the joy I felt discovering Star Wars, and these kids have been given no reason to TRULY get behind Star Wars.

I'm sorry, but the hype with kids is a flow. they jump on the latest thing and the attention span is no longer then 2-3 months. if you base everything on 12-15 year olds you would invest heavily in Yu-gi-oh cards and jump on the latest crap. LOTR is a hot item right now. Wait till more episode III buzz comes out and you will see the kids flock to that.

Your study as a substitute is also meaningless because you spend what? a week at most with the same kids and then leave. your study is limited.

Matrix, LOTR, all these things are just a hype machine. Which series though is still selling figures like mad? star wars. I see LOTR figures ont he self all the time. Matrix toys aswell. Star wars is time tested and has staying power.

I'm sorry Mr. Sub, but your observations mean nothing more then what your opinion dictates the situation.
Old 10-07-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a newer one:

He doesn't look too happy there. And that scar is more visible in this pic.
Old 10-07-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

damn he looks pissed. I was reading posts about this picture on theforce.net but you have to bew some sort of insider member to see it, thanks for posting it!
Old 10-07-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stupid year and a half wait.
Old 10-07-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by zero
damn he looks pissed.
Yeah, looks like someone got a wad of sand in his mangina.

Old 10-07-03, 02:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
jeez, throw him a guitar and some spandex and he could become a member of the band The Darkness
Old 10-07-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Here's a newer one:

He doesn't look too happy there. And that scar is more visible in this pic.

"Who ate all the F*#&$ Pringles!?!?!?!?!? Ben? Master Yoda?

Gawd dammit! I'm so angry I'm going to shave all my hair, put on a heavy black plastic outfit with a loud obnoxious ventilator, and use a voice box that makes me sound like a well spoken black man with a deep voice!!!!"
Old 10-07-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Let me chime in and say that for me to hold SW as dear as it once was to me, I have to look at it as OT and PT. While I do love LOTR and Matrix, SW:OT will always hold that special place because of its inspiration on me as a kid.
Right now, LOTR provides me with the story as an adult that the OT did as a kid. Will LOTR surpass the PT as greatness IMO? Already has. Will it surpass the SW story as a whole? Maybe. Will it ever surpass the OT? Nope.

In terms of the pic, why do they(whoever writes movies) always feel the need to illustrate someone is going bad by giving them long hair?
Old 10-07-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Evil does not have time for a haircut.
Old 10-07-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Let me chime in and say that for me to hold SW as dear as it once was to me, I have to look at it as OT and PT. While I do love LOTR and Matrix, SW:OT will always hold that special place because of its inspiration on me as a kid.
Right now, LOTR provides me with the story as an adult that the OT did as a kid. Will LOTR surpass the PT as greatness IMO? Already has. Will it surpass the SW story as a whole? Maybe. Will it ever surpass the OT? Nope.

In terms of the pic, why do they(whoever writes movies) always feel the need to illustrate someone is going bad by giving them long hair?

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Evil does not have time for a haircut.
Old 10-07-03, 04:55 PM

that just show's that he's become a jedi night(lost the short hair and braid) OB1 grew his hair out he's not evil
Old 10-08-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

not to mention the irony of folks hating how things are changed. take for example fett. he is dead. he died in a sarlac pit. end of story. I can't see why the fans felt it was alright and dandy to go back and eat it up when the comics claimed he was alive and survived the pit. it's not canon to the story, but hey, the fans wanted to change things around because they liked the character. But once the director wants to change the film around, in some aspects to please the fans.. bam! pretty much cursed at because his new vision didn't meet the fans vision. blah.

I have to disagree that he is dead, at least "onscreen". I don't hold EU to be canon at all so I do agree with your statements about the further tales of Fett being poodoo.

When Lucas killed Darth Maul off it was done in a way so that people wouldn't keep speculating if he was coming back, ala Boba Fett. I believe Lucas wrote Fett's death to be more mysterious so that people would talk about it. IMO, Fett's life and death in the OT is ingenious work from Lucas since he is only a background character.

Consider this. In the OT we knew nothing of his past. We didn't know anything about his apearance, race or even what he did with all his credits from being the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy. Why did he wear tha armor? Hell, we didn't even find out then why he was the most feared BH in the galaxy! We also never found out how he finished his victims.(Disintegration? Never shown!) Vader even seemed to respect him for unknown reasons. In the same light we didn't even get a clear cut death scene for him. Lucas kept everything on Fett covered up so people could speculate. Lucas knew the character was popular after ESB(Stated before) and it did influence how he handled the "death" scene. From ROTJ and the official database.

"According to lore, the stomach pit of the Sarlacc keeps its prey alive for a thousand years, slowly dissolving its meal into needed nutrients, while the hapless victim is kept alive in searing, endless agony."

So for all we know Mr.Fett could still be down their suffering in the beasts stomach. No where in ROTJ did we see Boba Fett fall dead. Now most Fett fans use the arguement that he could have escaped the Sarlacc with his armor and his jetpack. No where in ROTJ is it shown that he did or didn't have the means to escape. Also from the official database.

"With a sickly belch from the desert creature, it seemed as if Fett's career as the galaxy's most notorious bounty hunter was brought to an end."

My opinion is that it didn't matter if he was able to escape the Sarlacc or not. For Lucas, the character was no longer needed in the story and it was a great way of getting him out of the way.

In terms of ATOC, perhaps Fett was put into the film for no other reason than to appeal to the fans. If not, Lucas saved Fett's story all these years to be told in the PT. Either way, it is important to remember Lucas has never allowed Boba Fett to take a position as a "major" character in any of the films.

* The funny thing about the whole Fett topic is that Lucas never admitted that the character had died in the pit until ATOC came out. Back in the 80s he didn't say anything about it at all. Could that be because throughout the 80s and early 90s he changed his mind daily regarding episodes 7,8,9? If he really thought the character should stay dead at the time why ok the further use of the character in the EU?

Last edited by DarthMaul420; 10-08-03 at 09:24 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.