Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MPAA says text messaging to blame for poor ticket sales

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

MPAA says text messaging to blame for poor ticket sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We blame text messaging for not being able to sell the crap that we are usually able to sell because these stupid kids keep on text messaging they're friends that our movies suck. What right do they have to say our movies suck? It's not like they are our customers or anything. Darn kids! *shakes fist*
Old 08-20-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Unnecessary sequels (Charlies Angels 2, T3 even though I liked it), same actor/actress in movies (I'm tired of seeing Colin Farrell in everything this past year), hyped movies that fail (Hulk), lack of good scripts/stories is to blame (Gigli, a lesbian hitman falls in love with a male hitman because he's like a woman. That movie will do more damage to Ben and J-Lo's relationship than any hooker Ben ends up with). Ticket prices raising every year, not to mention astronomical prices for food/drinks at theaters.

Not text messaging.

Last year Hollywood blamed DVDs for lack of box office revenue.

Just sad.
Old 08-20-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by chrisih8u
Thats odd. The only solution I came up with was to eliminate the internet.
kill all those who text message?

no but seriously, this is BS. blaming text messaging?
Old 08-20-03, 01:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
Does anyone even use text messaging?
A female friend of mine has free text messaging on her cell phone and she uses it incessantly. All of her stories somehow involve text messaging, and when I saw Bjork with her, she sent and received at least 5.

So yes, people do use text messaging.
Old 08-20-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kewl. people are txt messaging finally in america. i'm sure many of you do not understand it now. but it really is a great thing. it's great to be able to send a message at any time, without disturbing the person beside you or having to wake up or disturb the person you are texting.
Old 08-20-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

disturbing people is great though. the best part about it is them being disturbed. oh man i love that (because its not me being disturbed).
Old 08-20-03, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, i'd rather teens send text messages than talk through the entire damn movie.

As for the "text messaging excuse"?

LAME.

I didnt see text messaging hurt "Pirates of the Caribbean"
Old 08-20-03, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In my opinion - it is due to the fact they have a big "blockbuster" every damn Friday over this summer and almost all of them was sequel's of some sort. I know personally, I wanted to go see 'The Hulk', 'Charlies Angels 2' and 'Swat, but I can't bring myself to drive all the way back to the cinema yet again this summer. They overcrowded the market.
Old 08-20-03, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
I see: you only watch foreign and independent cinema then.

While I agree that Hollywood's finger-pointing and lame excuses are pointless and silly, I still love how people complain incessantly about how "evil and horrific" Hollywood is... on a message board where upon membership is predicated by a love... of movies.

Fascinating. I'm going to join the message boards of The American Conservative and spend my time there spouting Marxist theory.
I never said that, but yes most films i watch are more on the independent or foreign side. So in reality i guess i'm a hypocrite because i do enjoy a lot of films that are hollywood produced. I'm just really bored of the same old crap. I never said they are "evil or horrific" but I do think they are full of crap 90% of the time. I'm sorry that i'm tired of Charlie Angels 5 and other films that are based on television shows that no one watched to begin with.
By saying i hate hollywood my main point is that I hate most of the companies(like miramax) and there spokespeople that spout out stupid statements like the ones that this thread was based on.
Old 08-20-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Word of mouth has been around much longer than the internet or text messaging. Basically, you make a crappy movie the word gets out quicker. Stop making bad movies is the solution.
Old 08-20-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it is a new era for the movies. Now with the internet a person has almost instant access to millions of people. Opinions on movies and other things can and do spread like wildfire.

Like somebody said earlier there is only one solution for the MPAA, and RIAA. Eliminate the internet at all costs.
Old 08-20-03, 10:07 AM

Yes, yes, the MPAA is the Great Satan and all that. But you know what? They're not mentioned in the article at all. It was just some random guy at Miramax who blamed text messaging.

I guess RANDOM GUY AT MIRAMAX BLAMES TEXT MESSAGING doesn't make for a snappy thread title, though.
Old 08-20-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't call the Chief Operating Officer 'some random guy' but yeah, definitely wouldn't call him the MPAA either

Faster word of mouth kills sales quicker? Possibly. But the COO is an idiot for believing that's the main problem. I have known a handful of people who say, "I've heard it's a bad movie" and then will have nothing to do with it like you'll get the plague from it or something. Most people will go see a movie that looks interesting to them though, no matter what people say about it.

Gigli could be the best movie ever made, but I don't think many people would see it because Lopez and Affleck are on TV, in print, and on the radio every day, multiple times. Too much press really is a bad thing, people get sick of you no matter what source is talking about you. They aren't going to go fork over $10 to see you for 90 mins after you've been rammed down their throat continually for weeks on end.

I'm sure an underwhelming economy mixed with underwhelming movies had nothing to do with the box office returns.
Old 08-20-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if I should trust The Independent, anyway.
Old 08-20-03, 11:26 AM

Funny how Pirates of the Carribbean and Finding Nemo did so well. Perhaps because they were original stories. I usually wait til I get home to tell my friends that a movie sucked. It's my houses fault.
Old 08-20-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's great.. what will they think of next?
Old 08-20-03, 12:19 PM

That does it. I'm boycotting all bad movies from now on. That will teach Hollywood a lesson!
Old 08-20-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's things like this that make me laugh--and it really shows a lot of what's wrong with the Hollywood system. A flop is NEVER the movies(or actors, directors, etc.)fault. It's always some outside influence. Look at Paramount's reasoning behind the failure of Tomb Raider--they blamed the terrible sales of the new Tomb Raider videogame. Now this--text messaging. I can't wait to hear the next excuse for a big budget film's failure.
Old 08-20-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

makes sense to me. They will have to change their marketing techniques. No longer will they be able to over market a bad film to make up its opening weekend numbers.
Old 08-20-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts
The DVD thing made sense. I think it is a combination of:

1. Rising ticket prices - some people (like me) think about the seven bucks it costs to see a movie a lot more then they used to.

2. The DVD comes out in a few months anways so why see it in the theatres (although Nemo proves that this isn't always the case)

3. Word of mouth does spread more rapidly so combined with rising ticket prices people research before they see a movie.

4. More and more people are investing money in HT systems to rival theatres.
Old 08-20-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did they ever think there putting out bad movies?they put out some good quality flicks and the people will go out and see a movie,basically there saying there not makeing money on crap movies anymore,this is a good thing because hollywood will have to just put out good movies.
Old 08-20-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I hate wasting $15 to see crap. I had stop going to the theater and started buying the DVD, and if it sucked just get rid of it and recoup some $$. This year I have been to 5 differnet movies (3 through free passes) and I have not been disapointed, okay a little with the Hulk but I did not hate it like so many others. I saw Nemo twice and want to go see PotC again. I will more than likely see 2 more in the theater this year and it is only because they are good stories (hopefully) and they should be worth my time.