Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solaris (2002) -- why was this film so despised?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Solaris (2002) -- why was this film so despised?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
While the remake is of interest and should be seen it is no where near as good as the 1972 Solaris and anyone who has gone ahead and watched the new version without seeing the '72 version has robbed themselves of one of a great film experience. The '03 version is like reading the Cliff's Notes and now you'll never be able to view the '72 version with eyes unclouded by the remake. That's sad.
That's not necessarily true. Tarkovsky's film is such a meditative piece, especially in comparison to Soderbergh's, that it achieves a life of its own that transcends Lem's narrative. You might know the "story" after seeing Soderbergh's Solaris, but that in no way diminishes the experience that is watching Tarkovsky's masterpiece.

I like curvy black girls.
Old 08-24-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
I always thought this argument was a bunch of crap, no personal offense, as it gets used daily on this site with about every new film by just about everyone.

we ALL dismiss things without seeing them, otherwise we would want to see every film ever made, and few of us, if any, have the time, the money, or the opportunity to do that.

so the Solaris remake gets scratched off my list of films I would like to see because it's a remake of an already great film (or a re-interpretation of a novel that already has a great film, whichever way you want to look at it). There are other things I would rather do with my time and money. EVERYONE makes similar eliminations in what movies they want to see. People use the "don't dismiss it until you see it" defense to defend movies they liked all the time. I just find it pointless and silly......and hypocritical since it is something we all do....whether it be knowing a film was directed by a director you don't like, stars an acotr you despise, got horrid reviews from critics you trust, or was despised by someone you know who has similar tastes to yours. We decide what we want to see based on what we are more probable to like (at least non-masochists do). It's difficult for me to imagine a version of Solaris better than Tarkovsky's, so I know before seeing it that I will most likely be disappointed.....so why should I see it?
But you're not talking about the same thing, really. You're talking about making a reasoned judgment call based on things you already know about a movie, I suppose my words were meant to refer to instant kneejerk reactions without knowing anything. I'm talking about the people who, upon hearing the simple words "Hollywood is remaking Solaris," reply, "It's going to suck." That is NOT a reasoned judgment call, that's someone dismissing it blind. And I'll point this out: remakes fall victim to this far more easily than most movies, because the title itself presents a known quantity, or so people think. The reality is that the people might know the story, but they'll have no idea whatsoever about how the story will be presented.
Old 09-01-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
I thought it was boring... can't really explain it. Things just seemed to take forever to happen.
Finally saw this last night. Tried on Saturday but kept dozing off. The concept was interesting but the execution just didn't do it for me.
Old 09-06-03, 10:52 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I sat there the whole time tonight trying to figure out if I was watching Solaris, or Somewhere In Time... at least by the end of the movie I figured out I was watching the later.

Didn't really do anything for me. While I won;t say I hated it, I didn't really like it either.

The camera work was elegant. Clooney was great, I really felt for him there for awhile.

But I have a question... and I guess I'll use a spoiler tag:

Spoiler:
Who was she talking too and what was he looking at after he saw her, but before he took those two pills and then she was ontop of him again? I tried to pause it and get a good look, but I couldn't tell what it was...
Old 09-11-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I watched this last night, and it just did not do it for me. I thought the pacing was painfully slow. I can handle slow, but this just seemed to drag.
I do have a couple of questions though.
Spoiler:
What happen to the troops that were sent in?

Was that his twin brother, or himself?
Old 09-11-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
I do have a couple of questions though.
Spoiler:
What happen to the troops that were sent in?

Was that his twin brother, or himself?
Spoiler:
IIRC what happened to the troops is not explained. I assume the planet destroyed them before they reached the station.

It is the simulation of his twin brother.
Old 09-11-03, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The corpse is the real Snow. His visitor was a manifistation of himself. This version of Snow killed the real Snow. The Snow we meet (the one Clooney meets) is really the duplicate manifestation Snow.

I won't put spoilers because that paragraph doesn't make a lick of senses
Old 09-12-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Spoiler:
I knew it was not the real Snow, but I did not know if it was a manifestation of himself or a twin brother, since he said it was his brother.
I think Snow said the troops made it to the station, and that they were the ones to kill the other guy in the infirmary.
Old 09-12-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts
Originally posted by shill66
I'm talking about the people who, upon hearing the simple words "Hollywood is remaking Solaris," reply, "It's going to suck." That is NOT a reasoned judgment call, that's someone dismissing it blind.
You're dismissing it based on the fact that 99% of remakes suck. I would call that a reasoned judgment.
Old 10-12-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I finally saw this today, and I loved it. My only complaint is that it was too short! There were several instances where I would have held a shot a few seconds longer, or added a few more lines to really increase the mood. I haven't listened to the commentary yet, but did Soderbergh originally have a longer cut of this? I know it didn't do well at the box office, but I would have expected Fox to try to make it up with a little nicer DVD.

I've never read the book or seen the original, but I think this version was a very thoughtful and beautiful movie. I'm not sure about the Clooney bashing either. Now that you mention it, he does seem to always be playing Clooney, but I think Clooney has many facets that are allowed to shine in different ways in different films.

As much as I respect Savant, I also have to disagree. It's movies like this that are closer to true Scifi than the usual exploding ships and horny aliens stuff we usually get. Good science fiction makes tells a regular story, but the setting makes you consider it in a way you might not have before.

Definitely underrated flick. I will try to pick up the original asap.
Old 10-12-03, 02:12 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it too. I rented Solyaris, but that one didnt work for me. The Soderbergh version is better, IMO. I intend to buy it one of these days.
Old 10-12-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

umm,maybe because it was a SNOOZE-FEST...
Old 10-12-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by slateef
umm,maybe because it was a SNOOZE-FEST...
How very articulate.

"Only the boring are bored."
Old 12-12-05, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Who was she talking too and what was he looking at after he saw her, but before he took those two pills and then she was ontop of him again? I tried to pause it and get a good look, but I couldn't tell what it was...
I took it that she was talking to Gordon. She was telling her things to convince her that it was alright to use the device on her. The second part I'm not sure....it looked like a hole that had been blown through the wall or something. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a real or a halucination.
Old 12-12-05, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Grimm1
I took it that she was talking to Gordon. She was telling her things to convince her that it was alright to use the device on her. The second part I'm not sure....it looked like a hole that had been blown through the wall or something. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a real or a halucination.
2 years later.
Old 12-12-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jake77444
2 years later.
Isn't that that point of having the discussion in threads on a forum? The movie is still worth discussing and what has been discussed before is available for those who want to begin or continue discussing it. If the poster would have started a new thread, we'd be hearing "duplicate thread" or "do a search" comments.
Old 12-12-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Grimm1
The blown up door is a continuity error that started with the cutting of a a scene where the tears the door apart. It just ends up in the frame, whoops. See the extra features for more information, and a LOT more about what the director's and Clooney's interpretation of what really happened.
Old 12-13-05, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't remember too many details, but I did like the Clooney version of Solaris. Maybe I need to watch it again. I have great respect for those of you who can watch the original. I've seen it, and I had to split my viewing into 2 nights, because I found it so mind-numbingly boring. Probably the most painful experience I've ever had watching a movie, yet I was determined I would finish it.
Old 12-13-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this movie for what it was. It is a love story in space, but what I love about it is the tragedy. It's about a guy who's haunted by one stupid mistake and has to endure the suffering of having loved someone and also causing her death. It's just a beautiful story that's also beautiful to look at. I never felt it was boring. I guess it can seem slow due to the film's feel, but it's only 90 minutes. Not at all long.
Old 12-14-05, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
I loved the movie and the soundtrack.
Old 12-14-05, 09:44 AM

The only trailers I saw for the movie portrayed it as a "romance" or sci-fi thriller. People came to this movie expecting something else, and I think the deceptive marketing of the movie attracted the wrong audience (though I agree with others commenting here that there probably wasn't much of an audience in this country for a movie like this), and produced a lot of blow-back.

That said, I liked the movie, though not as much as the original. The Soderberg version is a good example of how Hollywood dumbs down a movie for an American audience. Other good examples of dumbing down that come to mind are: Obre los Ojos versus Vanilla Sky, and Dominion: Exorcist Prequel, versus the dumbed-down and pumped-up Exorcist: The Beginning. All three of these movie pairs are worth watching if for nothing more than insight into just how low the intellectual bar is set for the multiplex audience.
Old 12-14-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll just say that to this day I'm still not allowed to pick the movie when going with my circle of friends because I chose Solaris when it was released. Half of our group walked out halfway through.