Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Freddy vs Jason ..(* Official thread* )

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's try and keep all the talk in this thread (I hate reading twenty threads for one movie). The film comes out tommorw - so post your reviews after you see it..You know, all the good stuff.

Alright - tommorw is August the 15th, which means a ten year wait will finally be over. New Line will release 'Freddy vs Jason' to a lot of eager horror fans. So, who is goin' to see it? And who do you think will win? Or better yet - is this even a good idea to mix the two characters?

Personally, I will go see it tommorw, as I'm a fan of both the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th series (more so with Elm Street). New Line has been extremely hush-hush on the ending, down to editing the last bit of the film for screeners, so that it can't be leaked who wins / doesn't win / etc. My opinion is neither of them will win. New Line can't exactly make a winner out of a child molestor / murderer (Freddy) and Jason's character is simply to brutal . The only way they could make Jason the winner is by making him a more sympathetic character and doin' so would really hurt the franchise, so I doubt that happens also. Then there is also rumors of another guest star appearing (New Line does own the rights to Leatherface / Chucky). I doubt that happens also.

Oh and the offical web-site is.
http://www.freddyvsjason.com/
(Duh!)

They have some pretty decent wallpapers and the trailer for download.
Old 08-14-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of either franchise, but I'm going to see it just to support the interresting crossover.
Old 08-14-03, 12:25 PM

You never know about Chucky. Afterall Ronny Yu did do Bride of Chucky.
Old 08-14-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm so glad we now have an Official thread. I was wondering if the other 5 threads on the subject would be just to confussing for folks to follow and discuss in...
Old 08-14-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to try to make up some excuse to get out of work early tomorrow. Screw T3 and all the other big budget stuff thats coming out this summer, this is the film that i've been waiting for since the summer began(well really for the last ten years) I remember it was the summer before my senior year in high school when Jason goes to Hell came out. My best friend and I went and saw it on opening day(exactly 10 years ago yesterday). Who knew that 10 years and 2 days later we'd actually get to see Freddy and Jason go at it. There is a pretty good article in the new Fango about all the script and story ideas that FVSJ went though since 94. But watch out for the official Freddy VS. Jason magazine if you don't like find everything that happens in a film before you see it.
Old 08-14-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just felt that jolt's screecap thread had to be in this thread
Old 08-14-03, 03:59 PM

I think what they should do is have 2 or 3 different endings, and have different theaters play different endings randomly. But not let anyone know about this ahead of time. Then when people go to discuss it, it will be "can you believe Jason won?" "Huh? Jason didn't win, Freddy did!" Then everyone will have to go see it a second time.

Ok that's a really lame idea.

Anyway, I'm going first thing tomorrow to see this. I'll be sure to post my thoughts when I get back. I'm really not expecting this to be a "good" movie. But I know it's gonna be a fun experience.

FYI, currently on Rotten Tomatoes it has fresh 6 rotten 10. I really wouldn't expect it to be much better than that.
Old 08-14-03, 08:06 PM

I saw it.
Ronnie Yu is a sadistic human being.
Old 08-15-03, 12:35 AM

I saw it on Wed night at like 1230...I loed it. I thought to myself the whole time "wow...they actually made it good and interesting...". I thoroughly enjoyed it...and can't wait for the sequel (and the DVD with 4 alternate endings...)
Old 08-15-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie rocks. It is THE BLOODIEST horror film i've ever seen in a movie theater. It's the bloodiest of either series, that's for sure. Blood is practically gushing in the theater aisles there is so much. All the kills are classic...Freddy has some amazingly awesome one liners.....As is expected, the acting from the teens sucks, but of course they get what they deserve....and you'll enjoy every minute of it. I'm seeing it again this weekend.
Old 08-15-03, 03:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I want to know is who won?
Old 08-15-03, 06:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Spoiler:
Neither actually win. Freddy beats Jason up, then Jason beats Freddy up, then the teens soak both in gasoline and light them on fire. Then they drown in Crystal Lake. Freddy gets out and is about to cleave the kids with Jason's knife, then Jason impales Freddy on his own disembodied arm (the one with the claws). They both sink into the lake. One of the teens beheads Freddy before he sinks. The kids leave, then later, Jason gets out of the lake, gripping Freddy's disembodied head. As he walks toward the camera, Freddy's head comes alive and winks at the screen. The end.

While this may be better than any of the Friday the 13th movies (sorry, was never a fan), it isn't as good as most of the Nightmare on Elm St. movies. Especially since Wes Craven's New Nightmare once again took Freddy down darker routes, it was a shame to see him return to the more commercialized, "funny guy" Freddy that he has been since around Nightmare 4. Even worse than that, there were very few inventive kills (in fact, Jason's kills are often more interesting than Freddy's). I did like the way the stoner got used and killed, that was eerily effective. If only the rest of the movie had been as creative. I was most hoping for some really great stuff when Freddy and Jason fought in the dream world, but alas, Freddy just tosses Jason around a bit.

That being said, the movie is fun. I'm nitpicking when I look back on it, but when you see it in the theater, it's cool stuff. Jason especially is more lively and active than he has been in his own series (although this movie has piqued my interest enough to give the series a second chance).

Bottom line: If you're a Jason fan, you'll love this movie. He's at his best here. If you're a Freddy fan, you might feel disappointment at the lack of imagination and seeming backwards evolution of the character, but you'll be so happy to have him back on the big screen that for the running time of the film, it won't matter.

Also, was it just me or did Bob Shaye (head of New Line) make a cameo appearance as the principal of the school? I think I spotted him after Will sees Lori again at the school, and Will's friend frightens her with stories about Freddy.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-15-03 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-15-03, 08:15 AM

Goin' to see this film here around 11:00 am. Woohoo!
I envy you people who got to see the sceeners...etc
Old 08-15-03, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

I loved this movie!!! It was real gory, funny, and I like how the ending leaves room for the sequel.

Yeah, I saw that too. Shaye was the principal of the school.
Old 08-15-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jason had soulful eyes, oh yes he did!

Edited to add:

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Also, was it just me or did Bob Shaye (head of New Line) make a cameo appearance as the principal of the school?
Indeed he did.
Old 08-15-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow! F vs. J was what i thought F vs. J was going to be. Blood, violence, and F vs. J. I'm glad it had an interesting story, which made you eagerly anticipate the battle. Jason was the best he has ever been; props to Ken-sorry Hodder. Freddy was EVIL, the way he should have always been. Ups to New Line for the body count and blood. I'm very pleased with it.
Grade: B+

So, who do you think actually won?
Old 08-15-03, 03:19 PM

well even though freddy was kicking jason butt damn near all threw the movie jason IMO really one.

yall cant tell me when freddy used jason as a pinball game wasnt classic?
Old 08-15-03, 03:49 PM

Just got back from seeing it. It was just like I thought it would be, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. My only real complaint is that I had very little interest in what was happening with any character who wasn't Jason or Freddy. I would have liked a little more screen time for Jason/Freddy, and a little less for the annoying teenagers who can't act. For instance, the backstory with the two guys from the mental institution didn't interest me very much. And none of the other characters interested me either, but it was great to see most of them die
Spoiler:
Especially the irritating black girl. She couldn't act to save her life and I wanted her to die much sooner than she did. When that glorious moment finally came, I wanted to stand up and cheer

This is definitely one of the gorier Friday/Nightmare movies. The battles near the end were just brutal, and most of the death scenes were pretty bloody. One reason I disliked Jason X was the lack of creativity in the deaths. Fortunately Freddy vs Jason had some nice ones. My personal favorite was
Spoiler:
the flaming machete through the chest.

As for who won:
Spoiler:
I think it is very accurate to say that Jason won. The little wink from Freddy was a nice touch to set up a sequel, but when one character is carrying the head of another character, I think it's safe to say that there was indeed a clear winner.

Last edited by caiman; 08-15-03 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-15-03, 03:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
As for who won:
Spoiler:
I think it is very accurate to say that Jason won. The little wink from Freddy was a nice touch to set up a sequel, but when one character is carrying the head of another character, I think it's safe to say that there was indeed a clear winner.
Not to try to get off on a technicality (which I am about to do), but
Spoiler:
I think the point of these movies is that Freddy and Jason are both eternal evils. The fact that Freddy winks at the end MIGHT be something to set up a sequel, but it's also something to say to the audience: Freddy ain't dying! And the fact that he's headless doesn't entirely matter, because as soon as he gets back in the dream world, he's back to normal. Remember: his physical body was killed by the parents of Elm St.

The point is, the only death these monsters could really have is lack of good box office.
Old 08-15-03, 04:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As for who won:
Spoiler:
I agree, although
Spoiler:
I think they'll use the fact that the girl actually beheaded Freddy as a rationale for a rematch. I also think they were hinting at the idea that Jason may start "taking orders" from Freddy's head, much as he did with his mother's head in Friday the 13th Part II.
Old 08-15-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Fun fun fun time at this movie. I thought this was one of the better Nightmare movies since part 3. I liked the way Freddy was potrayed. He seemed to be much toned down from the wackiness he displayed in parts 4-7.

A few random thoughts: I'm not a big Friday fan so I guess I don't really care, but why on earth could Kane Hodder have not played Jason. What was so different about this guy?

Why didn't they go all out and actually cast Jay Mewes for the stoner guy? The actor was certainly challenging.

Having some sleezy gratuitous nudity back was teriffic. But couldn't they have found woman with less obvious boob jobs?

I have never heard more expository dialouge in a movie in my life. Was there a single scene with the kids that wasn't of them explaining the plot?

Freddy Vs. Jason matched my expectations. Very enjoyable afternoon for me.
Old 08-15-03, 06:59 PM

I loved it. Plenty of T&A right off the bat, just like a good Jason movie should have.

I liked Freddy's attitude, he came across as more sadistic in this movie, something he lost in the old series. I think his appearance sucked a little, not as cool as New Nightmare.

I could not believe the amount of blood. Every slash of the machette was a squirter. At one point Jason was killing so many, so fast, that I could not believe my eyes, and that the MPAA gave this a R.

Jason was great, and the sound was awesome. I loved the way you could here Jason coming before you even saw him.

Was that the "Ginger Snaps" chick?

I can not wait for the dvd!!

OH, and the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" trailer. Can't effing wait.
Old 08-15-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I think what they should do is have 2 or 3 different endings, and have different theaters play different endings randomly. But not let anyone know about this ahead of time. Then when people go to discuss it, it will be "can you believe Jason won?" "Huh? Jason didn't win, Freddy did!" Then everyone will have to go see it a second time.

Ok that's a really lame idea.
No it's not. It worked for Clue. Ok...maybe not.
Originally posted by Seantn
This movie rocks. It is THE BLOODIEST horror film i've ever seen in a movie theater. It's the bloodiest of either series, that's for sure. Blood is practically gushing in the theater aisles there is so much.
It's not the bloodiest i've seen, but I was wondering why there were at least 15 kids UNDER the age of 10 at my showing two hours ago... I realize that people complain about this on the regular here [and a screaming kid annoys me too], but c'mon this is NOT kiddie fare. And while the idiot parents are to blame, the theatre should take some responsibility too. If you have a "parent" attempting to buy a ticket to FvJ or the like, while holding a two year old, the response should be NO SALE.
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
A few random thoughts: I'm not a big Friday fan so I guess I don't really care, but why on earth could Kane Hodder have not played Jason. What was so different about this guy?

Having some sleezy gratuitous nudity back was teriffic. But couldn't they have found woman with less obvious boob jobs?
My god! I know some on here won't be bothered by it, but damn almighty! I'm thinking half the budget was spent on silicone. The only person who might've had real breasts [besides the boys] was Kelly Rowland. And I agree about Kane, but it didn't bother me that much. What DID bother me [for some reason] were the random hairs on the back of Jason's head.

And as for Kelly Rowland...Man, I was hoping she'd be eviscerated.
Spoiler:
I thought she'd pull a "star" trip and demand that she not be part of the carnage. THANK GOD they killed her. [though, not as slow and painful as I wanted -- Jason could've broken character and said "And THIS is for subjecting us to your crappy songs BITCH!" while hacking her to bits..] She probably agreed to being a victim since she was able to "taunt" Jason right before he killed her.

Besides that, it was a good time. I'm sure if I think about it more [which i'll probably do] I could come up with more positives/negatives.
Old 08-15-03, 07:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

After watching this. It made me want another Friday movie. IMHO Jason made this movie. Though the audience I was in gravitated more towards Freddy.
Old 08-15-03, 07:28 PM
Banned

I thought it was incredibly entertaining. I took my brother to see it and the damn natzis wouldnt give him a ticket. But for some reason it was okay to let in some sort of Child Day care of like 30 kids sitting in the front. I have theatre policies these days.
When the hell did they make a new law you have to have a liscenese for every ticket you want to buy? I'm glad they finally put some tits in a horror movie for at change. I wanted to see the main chicks tits really bad and that was the only let down. O well maybe in the next one

By the way I think Kelly Rowland did a very good job for being her first movie. I didn't find her annoying at all.

I do agree that Freddy seemed to have lost alot of the crizima that I liked from the previous films. Maybe I was expecting to much.

I would give this 4 out of 5 stars tho if you like the other ones you will love this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.