Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

American Splendor

Old 08-03-03, 07:38 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Splendor

Just got back from a special screeing of American Splendor, the autobiographical film about underground comic writer / file clerk Harvey Pekar.

What can I say - it captures very well the chaotic life of Pekar and much of it is verbatim from his comics. At the same time, the film is very self-aware, featuring Pekar himself along with friends and family alongside their screen counterparts. So, you can see immediately how close the acting is to reality and the humor is genuine yet touching. You laugh at the jokes but realize at some level it is/isn't funny because its real.

BTW, the film won the Grand Jury prize at Sundance and the critics prize at Cannes, so no doubt the critics will treat it very well when the limited release starts later this month.

After the film there was a Q&A with Pekar himself - I will spoiler this if you'd prefer not to know anything at all about the film. In fact most of it will only make sense after you watch the film anyway.

Spoiler:

Pekar answered questions along with his wife Joyce and his daughter Danielle. They talked of being at Cannes which coincided with their 20th wedding anniversary. Other topics included Letterman (no call yet on a new appearance) but Pekar will be on Charlie Rose soon. However, Letterman was very forthcoming in allowing the usage of the footage from his show, but of course the final appearance was omitted.
Pekar kept a hands-off approach when dealing with the film-makers (which they appreciated) and he still hasn't read the script. He did choose some of the music and wrote liner notes for the upcoming soundtrack release.
The subject of Danielle's contact with her biological parents was quickly termed 'off-limits' by Joyce.
Joyce talked of the legal troubles her comics are having both in the U.S. and British courts - they've been banned or recycled (read burned).
Joyce also assured viewers she was being ironic in her comments about 'Revenge of the Nerds' but Hope Davis chose to play it straight in the film version.

9/10
Old 08-03-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. The real Harvey vs. actor Harvey sounds interesting. I wanna see how well it's pulled off.

Does Crumb have a big role in the film? I've seen the trailer for this a couple of times and that actor playing him drives me nuts, the impression seems so forced.
Old 08-03-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
I'm sooooo there!
Old 08-03-03, 08:55 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Does Crumb have a big role in the film? I've seen the trailer for this a couple of times and that actor playing him drives me nuts, the impression seems so forced.

Crumb was only in the film in I think 4 scenes, so not a very big role - and someone did ask Pekar in the Q&A about the portrayal of Crumb in the film. Pekar replied that the film captured the relationship between Crumb & Pekar, if not an accurate portrayal of Crumb himself.
Old 08-03-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This looks great. Can't wait to see it.

Paul Giamatti seems to have found his place in a lot
of these smaller more character-driven roles.
Old 08-03-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
SO many great indie movies coming out within the next few weeks. "The Secret Lives of Dentists", "The Magdalene Sisters", "Casa De Los Babys" (by John Sayles), "13", "Lost in Translation" (the new Sophia Coppola film with Bill Murray). To name a few. Although I've really enjoyed the movies this summer, it's nice to look forward one's that'll make you think
Old 08-03-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't wait to see this. I've been in the VA where Pekar works and I'm surprised it didn't turn him into more a negative/down person.
Old 08-06-03, 12:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
This was even better than I what I had hoped for, original, completely different, briliantly acted film, that offers a wide range of emotions and great inventive film styles and techniques.
Spoiler:
The scene where Paul Giamatti steps out of characters and becomes himself, is utterly surreal, and unexpected - wow!

Finally the first 2003 film that really really impressed me.
Old 08-06-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking forward to this more than anything in the immediate movie future.

Growing up in Cleveland this is going to resonate with me on so many levels--I used to see Pekar walking up and down Lee Rd. and in the comic shop near my high school I used to frequent. Truly a one-of-a-kind guy and talent.
Old 08-06-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read a good bit of the script when auditioning for this a couple of years ago and thought it was extremely well-written. I'll be interested to see it.
Old 08-06-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This movie looks very interesting. I first saw Pekar years ago on Late Night w/ David Letterman pushing the release of American Splendor (the comic) The guy was wound so tight and was so high strung you'd think it was a setup interview Dave had done (he used to a few joke interviews back in the old days.) No matter what Dave said it seemed to annoy/aggravate/offend Pekar more and more. He had him on again a few months later (I think this time to make fun of him after seeing how he acted on the last interview) but Pekar was 100% relaxed and it was a complete 180 degree difference than his previous demeanor. Dave didn't like that as he wasn't as fun, mainly just a bit grumpy, and I don't think he ever had him back on again. Since then I've been interested in this guy.

I've always wondered which show he was on drugs (or both, or neither) and how he thought the interview went. I think his main problem was that at the time he was a fairly anti-social person who was suddenly thrust out into the (smalltime) limelight of book promotion.
Old 08-06-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by renaldow
I've always wondered which show he was on drugs (or both, or neither) and how he thought the interview went. I think his main problem was that at the time he was a fairly anti-social person who was suddenly thrust out into the (smalltime) limelight of book promotion.
Are you a reader of Pekar's comic books? If you're interested be put out a new series of American Splendor published by Dark Horse around 1997 or 98 I think. One of them covers Harvey going back to appear on Letterman.
Old 08-07-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you a reader of Pekar's comic books? If you're interested be put out a new series of American Splendor published by Dark Horse around 1997 or 98 I think. One of them covers Harvey going back to appear on Letterman.
Thanks, I didn't realize that. I'll have to check it out.
Old 08-08-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts
This movie somehow slipped under my radar, but now that I'm aware of it I can't wait to see it. I enjoyed reading the comic and fondly remember Pekar's first infamous appearance on Letterman way back when. The film opens in Toronto on the 15th.
Old 08-09-03, 01:26 AM

This week's EW has SIX full pages of a Pekar comic called "My Movie Year," good stuff!
Old 08-09-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JamesBrian
This week's EW has SIX full pages of a Pekar comic called "My Movie Year," good stuff!
WOW. For the first time in my life I am going to buy a copy of Entertainment Weekly.
Old 08-10-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was just about to post that. Read it a few minutes ago.
Old 08-10-03, 02:13 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not familiar with Pekar, but this looks interesting. One thing though: given the title, how is it that Mena Suvari isn't in this?
Old 08-10-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went looking for this last night but couldn't find it. Is it the EW with Queer Eye For The Straight Guy on the cover or something else?
Old 08-10-03, 10:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I went looking for this last night but couldn't find it. Is it the EW with Queer Eye For The Straight Guy on the cover or something else?
It's issue #723, August 15th

with "One Shocking Summer" the Box Office Roundup issue
Old 08-11-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Pekar, Brabner, the directors and Hope Davis were on "Fresh Air" on NPR last week. If anyone is interested the interviews are archived at http://freshair.npr.org/
Old 08-15-03, 11:14 PM
Registered

American Splendor is an extremely well crafted indie film. It has so many places where it could have been gimicky and does the right thing at each of them. It's extremly well acted, innovatively put together and breaks new ground in the bio pic space by intergrating reality and fiction.

The main character is however completely unsympathetic and the film can be quite depressing.

Walking out of the film I knew I had seen one of the best movies of 2003, but it wasn't all that enjoyable.... if that makes sense.

- G
Old 08-17-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Check for a cameo by a friend of mine-Eytan Mirsky.

He's supposed to be playing music in a bar. He's also done some great songs for "Happiness" and "The Tao of Steve".
Old 08-18-03, 12:32 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Check for a cameo by a friend of mine-Eytan Mirsky.

He's supposed to be playing music in a bar. He's also done some great songs for "Happiness" and "The Tao of Steve".
Are you sure it was a bar? I think his number was on a stage....
Old 08-18-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrN
Are you sure it was a bar? I think his number was on a stage....
I haven't seen the movie yet, but when he was here for filming we went out to dinner and I thought he said bar-just knew he was playing music in the clip. He figured it would end up being cut out of the flick.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.