Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Finding Nemo being considered for BEST PICTURE award!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...car-buzz_x.htm

Wow!! I figured it was a shoe-in for Best Animated award, but this is amazing.. Beauty and the Beast is still the only animated movie that was nominated for Best Picture, and with the new Best Animated award I almost figured it would stay that way. But, if Nemo is even being considered for Best Picture with the new Best Animated award in the game, that's some hurdle to jump!!
Old 07-31-03, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's still July, so trying to guess Oscar chances now is pretty pointless. 95% of the movies that will be seriously considered for Best Picture haven't been released yet.
Old 07-31-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Man, I hope not...

That would take a slot that could be occupied by such gems as Charlie's Angels II, Bad Boys II or Tomb Raider II!

Freakin' Hollywood...
Old 07-31-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sea biscuit is gonna trample that lil fish.

j
Old 07-31-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it does, it's deserving. If it doesn't, it's fine cuz they should really give the statue for Best Animated already to those guys.
Old 07-31-03, 12:50 PM
oop

i wouldnt go that far.

good film but not oscar material
Old 07-31-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The article basically means squat. Which isn't to say the film won't be nominated, but people always talk about Oscar contenders at this point of the year, and probably 90% of them never even get nominated since most of the films come from the end of the year.
Old 07-31-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Being "considered" by who? Armchair prognosticators? The article means nothing until we're in January at least.
Old 07-31-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not Oscar material, I mean it's a good fun light hearted movie, but hardly best picture material if you ask me.
Old 07-31-03, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Little cartoon about two crazy fish sticks looking for another fish winning the best picture? Are you nuts? I have a feeling people just like to watch crazy fishes, thus the high box office. Personally, I want my money back, even though I didn't pay for the tickets...
Old 07-31-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why isn't Best Picture somewhat tied to movies that gross the most? I understand that some of the high grossing movies are not the most intellectual, but they seem to be very representative of what people want to see
Old 07-31-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Little cartoon about two crazy fish sticks looking for another fish winning the best picture? Are you nuts? I have a feeling people just like to watch crazy fishes, thus the high box office. Personally, I want my money back, even though I didn't pay for the tickets...
Not to pick on you, but this is the kind of thinking that keeps movies like Hoop Dreams from winning Academy Awards. That was just a movie about two kids playing basketball. I think subject matter is too often weighted above quality.

That being said, I doubt it's going to get a best picture nomination.
Old 07-31-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jbrotheim
why isn't Best Picture somewhat tied to movies that gross the most? I understand that some of the high grossing movies are not the most intellectual, but they seem to be very representative of what people want to see
prolly cause the majority of people always have been and always will be idiots. We dont need to see Godzilla nominated for best picture because it made a lot of $.

j
Old 07-31-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Not to pick on you, but this is the kind of thinking that keeps movies like Hoop Dreams from winning Academy Awards. That was just a movie about two kids playing basketball. I think subject matter is too often weighted above quality.

That being said, I doubt it's going to get a best picture nomination.
You're absolutely right. That is one of the reasons that dreck like A Beautiful Mind wins a Best Picture award over a masterpiece like Fellowship of the Ring.

I also agree with you that Finding Nemo probably won't get a best picture nom. It is much, much too early to be considering oscar contenders. I believe that last year something like 80% of the nominees in all categories were from movies released in the final 3 weeks of the year.
Old 07-31-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally posted by jekbrown
prolly cause the majority of people always have been and always will be idiots. We dont need to see Godzilla nominated for best picture because it made a lot of $.

j
Did it!? I thought it tanked
Old 07-31-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts
sea biscuit is gonna trample that lil fish.
I guarantee you that, by next February, Seabiscuit will be all but forgotten by Academy Voters.

Need proof? See "Road To Perdition" (which got even better reviews, albeit slightly so).

Just because a serious dramatic movie that doesn't totally suck gets released during the moronic summer movie season doesn't mean it's got an automatic lock for Oscar glory.

Even SPR got upstaged, and that was the Ruling Lord God of Summer 1998.

Meanwhile, unless "Brother Bear" turns out to be the most magnificent piece of feature-length animation in the history of the world, "Nemo" has that animation Oscar in the bag.
Old 07-31-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The majority of people go to the movies to be entertained for a couple of hours and get their minds off of other things. They want to laugh or be thrilled, not read into the symbolism of an obscure period piece

Originally posted by jekbrown

j
Old 07-31-03, 03:21 PM
Banned

Actually it is. Forrest Gump and American Beauty were both the highest grossing movies of their respective years and both won Best Picture. The Oscars are nothing more than a showcase for big budget Hollywood films.
Old 07-31-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

good examples... didn't realize American Beauty was the highest grossing

Originally posted by lesterlong
Actually it is. Forrest Gump and American Beauty were both the highest grossing movies of their respective years and both won Best Picture. The Oscars are nothing more than a showcase for big budget Hollywood films.
Old 07-31-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
good examples... didn't realize American Beauty was the highest grossing
It wasn't. Star Wars: Episode I made a little more than AB did.

Anyway, I recall Dreamworks pushing Shrek for Best Picture two years ago also.
Old 07-31-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts
Star Wars: Episode I did a *lot* more than AB did. So did The Sixth Sense, The Matrix, Austin Powers, Toy Story 2, and a handful of other films.

There's no real correlation between BO and Oscar Glory, except when Harvey Weinstein forgets to scrub his gorilla ass.
Old 07-31-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what movies on the horizon are possible Oscar contendees? I always seem to never even hear about the one that wins..
Old 07-31-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Potential Best Picture nominees, just a guess:

Cold Mountain
The Alamo
The Last Samurai
LOTR:ROTK
Old 07-31-03, 05:33 PM

There's buzz for Clint Eastwood's Mystic River, Anthony Minghella's Cold Mountain, The Last Samurai, and something called Return Of The King.
Old 07-31-03, 05:34 PM
Banned

Ok, American Beauty wasn't #1 but Forrest Gump was!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.