Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do You Purchase Movie Tickets Online or use Ticket Kiosks at the Theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do You Purchase Movie Tickets Online or use Ticket Kiosks at the Theater?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still use the old fashion way, i just stand in line to pick up my tickets. the longest ive waited the past 6 months has been 10 mins the worst but it usually averages around 5 mins. ive used online which is pointless, unless its a popular that will sellout since you have to wait in line anyways. Plus if i do watch a big release i usually show up early and i always get good seats.
Old 07-14-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ticket Window still. They actually should give a discount to folks who purchase online as it should save them money. (Salary, paper, ticket machines/maintenance, etc) If they do, I'll switch to the Online method in a second. Ticket window will still be used for those last minute, spur of the moment movie whims.
Old 07-23-03, 03:32 AM

Call me weird. But I find one of the joy of seeing movies in theatre is the q-ing for tickets

I like it when I go early to the theatre for the most anticipated movies, get to stand at the front of the q-line, be the first one who gets the tickets .. and look at the long q behind me .. wishing them a good luck (especially at the people standing at the back of the line). Hehehe ..

Mostly some local theatres in my place don't open their lobby entrance door not until 30 minutes before the first show. So in some occasion, people will gather around the door, waiting .. and when it finally opens .. they will run like wild horses, racing to be the first who reaches the lockets. It's fun
Old 07-26-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Do You Purchase Movie Tickets Online or use Ticket Kiosks at the Theater?

Ever since I got hooked up with Arch Light Chain of Cinemas, I purchase online with guaranteed seats and excellent Theatre Exprerience
Old 07-26-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 504 Likes on 330 Posts

When I go to the movie theater (only one in this rotten town), they ticket counter is hardly ever open. Since I never get anything at the snack bar I go to the ticket kiosk.

Also, this will sound nerdy, but I save all my movie stubs and the ticket kiosks generally print better quality tickets then the normal counter. This has been my experience in theaters across several provinces.
Old 07-26-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 313 Posts

I buy them online when there is a good deal/coupon floating around or when I want to get tickets to a film I really want to see.

I buy them at the theater when I have no fear of the film selling out or if I'm seeing the film on a whim.
Old 07-26-12, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

Online. And if the particular theater does not have online printing then I just order them and pick them up at the theater kiosk. Reserved seating is a must, though.
Old 07-26-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Online "convenience charge" = no sale

Like Ticketmaster they have it backassward. It's not "convenient" for me to waste my ink/paper($) and time ordering/printing tickets. However, it's damn convenient to have smaller lines in the lobby so people have more time to spend at the snack bar(and possibly fewer cashiers). They can shove that extra dollar per ticket.

Now the kiosk? That, I'll do.
Old 07-26-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If not...why not?

I know this isn't a new concept. But having used a kiosk the other day to see "pirates" and the AMC's website the week before to see another movie there was great satisfaction in -NOT-having to stand with the masses to purchase tickets.

Why aren't more people doing this? I hate to put young movie workers out of work but it's the coolest thing.

I purchase online to skip the lines etc, I think people might not all be on board because there is a extra fee in purchasing online.
Old 07-26-12, 07:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I use the kiosk. They charge a fee to buy online.
Incorrect! This is not what I do at all. I buy tickets online because my theater has reserved seats.

I'm still pissy about the "convenience charge" but I noticed the other day that they don't charge it if you use a gift card. So I think I'm going to buy some gift cards and use those to buy tickets.
Old 07-26-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 243 Posts

I avoid buying tickets online because of the convenience fee.
Old 07-26-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah online fees are bullshit. I seem to recall having fees even at the kiosks but seems like that stopped.

One thing I like about using the kiosks is they can show what the theater number is. For a place like Cantera in the west burbs here, I know theaters 14-17 are the big rooms so I can choose accordingly.
Old 07-26-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The only time I buy tickets online is for big movies on the weekend of release. IMAX tickets for Dark Knight Rises for instance was sold out days in advance for the entire weekend.

I like using the Kiosk when I go to theaters though; everyone seems to ignore them when they're often quicker to buy your ticket rather then waiting in line.
Old 07-26-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I go to the window most of the time. The only time I really order them online is for midnight screenings or special events. Otherwise, I normally go to the movies when people aren't there, so lines are no issue.
Old 07-26-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The only time I buy tickets online is for big movies on the weekend of release. IMAX tickets for Dark Knight Rises for instance was sold out days in advance for the entire weekend.

I like using the Kiosk when I go to theaters though; everyone seems to ignore them when they're often quicker to buy your ticket rather then waiting in line.
this is the correct answer
Old 07-26-12, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only ticket's I've ever bought online were for TDK and TDKR. Both in IMAX. Everything else I go to the booth or the kiosk. The booth on Thursdays cuz if i show them my school ID it's $3.50 otherwise..kiosk.
Old 07-27-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm an AMC Stubs member, so no online fees when I buy for their theater. Even so, I only really buy online for midnight showings or if I think there's a good chance it will be sold out.
Old 07-27-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sort of resent having to pay a fee to be locked into a movie. Things happen and I just assume buy the ticked at the theater and save the fee. We've done the online thing a few times because we have friends that insist we do this when we go out because they're fearful they'll be a line and that the film will sell out. (Not one showing had much of line or has been even close to selling out.) If there was no fee I'd be more tempted to use it for weekend shows. It would certainly be less tempting if more folks used it and then there was a line to get your tickets.
Old 07-27-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Things happen and [I'd just as soon] buy the [ticket] at the theater and save the fee.
fixed.
Old 07-27-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my first online ticket to make sure I had a seat for Dark Knight Rises (turns out that wasn't necessary), and I was just baffled as to why anyone would use the service with any regularity. I get the midnight showing thing, but the fee was enough to ensure I would never use the service again outside of the most extreme of circumstances.

But I love me some kiosks. I can't recall the last time I bought a ticket from the window.
Old 07-27-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

Last time I bought online was because I had a groupon (or similar) for $6 off each for two Fandango tickets. It was for The Avengers.

Living in NYC, theaters selling out are a definite possibility, so buying tickets in advance makes more sense than in other locations. For Dark Knight Rises, I was near the theater when we decided to go see it, so we used the kiosk to buy tickets for a later showing (basically the only one not yet sold out), went home for a while, then went back out for the show.
Old 07-27-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

I've done it on-line a few times, but these days it's ticket window only. It already costs a lot that way, but costs more when you buy it with a credit card.

I remember buying a ticket on-line for a morning show of TRANSFORMERS 3 in 3-D IMAX only to get there and finding that it was for the wrong showing in the wrong theater, so I had to go to the customer service desk to get the credit card charge canceled and buy a new ticket for the right show. (Neither show was even close to selling out, so it was a wasted effort to begin with.) When I got my credit card statement, I found I was billed twice; the original credit charge had not been rescinded.

Most expensive ticket price ever.
Old 07-27-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Living in NYC, theaters selling out are a definite possibility, so buying tickets in advance makes more sense than in other locations. For Dark Knight Rises, I was near the theater when we decided to go see it, so we used the kiosk to buy tickets for a later showing (basically the only one not yet sold out), went home for a while, then went back out for the show.
This is what I always do now. I have theaters within 3 blocks of me so I always run in, hit up the kiosk and buy tickets for a later show.
Old 07-27-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never use the kiosk or buy online. We pre-buy our tickets through Costco, which saves us a couple of bucks per ticket, and there is no way to use those toward an online or kiosk purchase that I am aware of.
Old 07-27-12, 02:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

We never go to see new releases when they first come out ($8.50/$9.00 vs. $2.00 in a couple of weeks) so lines aren't a problem. Ticket kiosks only here. -kd5-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.