Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Edited?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Edited?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen this scene, but I read this thread, and now I can't remember if I've ever seen it. It seems like I have, but I know I haven't, and I've seen it on TV (10 or so times) video and DVD (albeit about 100 times since 1988). I doubt very much it was ever there.
Old 07-14-03, 01:10 AM

Just checked the laser disc

FYI: The "imagined" undressed scene is NOT on the laser disc.

Cameron goes catatonic over the mileage on his dad’s car [side 2 at 22m-25s]
Cameron wakes up ("Ferris Bueller, you're my hero!) [side 2 at 25m-42s]
Sloane asks the question (“Did you see me change out of my clothes by the Jacuzzi?”) [side 2 at 30m-00s]

There is a quick cut from Sloane comforting Cameron lying on a wall (while Ferris is doing a soliloquy), to Sloane and Ferris in the pool while Cameron sits poolside. Everyone is in their underwear. There is no scene of anyone changing clothes before getting in the pool.

At least, that’s what’s on the laser disc.

(Off topic: I enjoyed Mia Sara in Timecop.)
Old 07-14-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
I have seen this movie countless times and have NEVER see the aforementioned scene. Ever.
Old 07-14-03, 10:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I saw this film opening night in the theaters, and the next night as well. This scene did NOT appear in the original theatrical version.
Old 07-14-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we have established two things:

1) The scene is not in the theatrical cut.

2) It is probable that the scene is in a "padded" TV cut.

I've never watched it on TV, so can neither confirm nor deny this, but I do know that a contemporary John Hughes film, Sixteen Candles, DOES indeed have padded TV scenes which are not part of the theatrical cut. It is therefore likely that FBDO may have them as well.
Old 07-14-03, 12:25 PM
Banned

BUT...apparently someone who saw it in the movies said they DID see it.

Yeah...and I thought I saw the Octopus scene in Goonies in the movies. Uh huh
Old 07-14-03, 04:40 PM
Banned

If this was ever in a padded TV cut (which I doubt it ever was) somebody would have it on tape. If someone can produce a still from this scene I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong, but until then there's absolutely no evidence to support that this scene ever existed. Memories are inaccurate, especially when the events in this supposed scene are mentioned in the movie, which could definitely cause a false memory. Until someone can prove this scene exists, it doesn't, CASE CLOSED.
Old 07-14-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Originally posted by GuruAskew
If this was ever in a padded TV cut (which I doubt it ever was) somebody would have it on tape. If someone can produce a still from this scene I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong, but until then there's absolutely no evidence to support that this scene ever existed. Memories are inaccurate, especially when the events in this supposed scene are mentioned in the movie, which could definitely cause a false memory. Until someone can prove this scene exists, it doesn't, CASE CLOSED.
If Chewbacca doesn't live on Endor, then you must acquit.
Old 07-14-03, 05:19 PM

More grist for the mill:

Taken from a movie trivia site:

"In the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I am sure there were scenes present in the theatre that were removed for the home video version could you verify that for me please? There was a scene at Sloan's place where they will be disrobing to go swimming. Sloan wants to remove her clothing but there is no where to be covered and Cameron is sitting on a chair supposedly catatonic. So she waves her hand in front of his face tries to get a reaction to see if he's all there before she proceeds to shed her outermost layer of clothing. Cameron's eyes move and look at her and then go back to staring forward. So that later when he has come out of his state of catonia and Sloan asks if he saw her changing in the back this has more potency. Am I imaging that this happened or was this a director's cut?? - Karen

Comment: You are right, this scene is in the movie. In fact I have seen this movie a couple of times (German TV-version, though) and this scene has always been a part. - LibbyDoe"

link: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~frog1/trivia/triv-ef.htm
Old 07-14-03, 05:38 PM
Banned

So, if I say "You are right, there is a scene in the movie where Ferris, Sloane and Cameron all eat ice cream" is that proof? Until someone brings forth an image or clip, it's just a false memory. If someon offers such proof, I'm wrong. Until then, I'm right. There's absolutely no actual evidence of this scene existing! Now that's what I call a sticky situation.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 07-14-03 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-14-03, 06:02 PM

GuruAskew, I'm not advocating either position because I don't recall seeing it. As I said, I just offered more grist for the mill. What I offered is additional circumstantial evidence, not direct evidence, that the scene may have been added to a t.v. version. Recall that the response comment stated that she had seen the scene in the German t.v. version. You want direct evidence, i.e. evidence that requires no inference, before you are convinced. Nothing less than a clip of the scene itself will do for you. That's fine. It makes no diff to me whether you are convinced or not. I myself am not fully convinced, but it sure is interesting that there have been so many identical UFO sightings of what would be a relatively inconsequential scene. If someone finds the clip, I will be disappointed if you do not jump back from your computer like Joaquin in Signs.
Old 07-14-03, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I have the clip! But my..uhh...VCR isn't working...
Old 07-14-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
I have the clip! But my..uhh...VCR isn't working...
It's sabotage I tell you!!

Quick, get that tape to a secure location. Make sure you're not being followed. Trust no one!

What we need is someone with a vcr and capture card so we have irrefutable proof that this scene exists. Of course, there's still people who doubt my footage of bigfoot.
Old 07-14-03, 09:07 PM

I never saw the movie in the theaters, but I can say 95% surely that I have seen that seen on the TV version (most likely aired on Comedy Central).

Edit: I just searched TVGuide.com, and maybe we can put an end to this Saturday night:
Sat 26 1:15 AM Ferris Bueller's Day Off 33 TBS
Sat 26 3:15 PM Ferris Bueller's Day Off 33 TBS

I will try to tape it, and post screenshots.

Last edited by Dacoops3; 07-14-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-14-03, 09:10 PM

I also remember seeing it before, but it's not on my dvd. Which is absurd.
Old 07-14-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Was there a Ferris Bueller special on in the last few years? I remember the scene exactly as it was a described, complete with the eye shifting. Sloan was totally hot. I will see what I can find on the net.
Old 07-14-03, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
It may have been seen by a few during a special presentation of it. I remember a few years back they did a Ferris Bueler Uncut. Maybe thats where some of us saw the extra footage?
Old 07-14-03, 11:13 PM

>>Like Fast Times at Ridgemont High...tons added in for TV.
Old 07-14-03, 11:14 PM
Banned

The reason people "remember" this scene is because it's explained to you within the movie. Now, there's no doubt that what supposedly exists in this phantom scene actually occurs during the events of the film, but it's never actually portrayed onscreen. It's revealed to the audience after the fact through dialogue. Plus, as I said before, a huge chunk of the audience of this film became fixated with Mia Sara and if a scene exisited of her in any state of undress it would be heavily documented online. It's not, there isn't even a single image to support it's existence, so I'm inclined to believe that it never existed.
Old 07-15-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damnit...im confused...and im not on drugs! what is going on. im pretty sure that i have seen that scene before. however, i have once thought i was moses trying to part the red sea (the red sea was a freeway)!
Old 07-15-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bye the way...that last post was a joke...i never did that
Old 07-15-03, 09:44 AM

Here are some screenshots of the hot tub sequence...

http://www.80s.com/saveferris/scenes/17.html

I think an undressing scene is false memory prone because...

1. Sloan suggests that it happened

2. She is shown in her underwear briefly.

3. There is a moment when Cameron glances out the side of his eyes a couple of times during the "Ferris Bueller, you're my hero" part.

Leave it to our brains to fill in the gaps.
Old 07-15-03, 09:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm reminded of The Sixth Sense. A friend of mine was CERTAIN that he saw

Spoiler:
Bruce Willis talking to Toni Collette. Of course, all you actually see is them sitting together in the same room.

He claimed this as a major plot hole, so we went and saw the movie again as a bet (the winner would buy the ticket of the other person). Of course, I was right...but he wouldn't pay up and insisted that the scene must have been trimmed in the week or so between showings.
Old 03-27-05, 10:10 AM

Is there any news of a 20 year anniversary edition?
Old 03-27-05, 10:53 AM
SvenL

20 year anniversary edition?

Thanks for making me feel really old.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.