Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I don't mind the 3rd and 4th movies, although they don't hold a candle to the first two. The only thing that bothers me is the continual shoehorning in of Sigourney Weaver. It isn't necessary to have her in every movie, and I'd be content to never see her again.
Amen .... let's go with new material instead of recycling Aliens!
Old 03-01-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently re-watched both Alien 3 And Resurrection.

I liked Alien 3 more than I remembered liking it. That being said I still didn't think it was great. It was enjoyable. I watched the theatrical cut; I saw the Assembly years ago and hardly remember it. I like the idea of going back to basics and having to fight one alien and being under-equipped for the task. It looked cool and had some good ideas but ultimately I think it was a failure.

Alien Resurrection was a turd. I didn't like it when I first saw it years ago and I still didn't like it. It had me rolling my eyes multiple times. And holy crap Ron Perlman is absolutely god-awful. Weaver as well. She hammed it up the entire movie and it's just awful. I thought she did a really great job in Alien 3 as far as acting goes. The dialogue in this flick is just atrocious. This movie felt like a failed video game idea turned into a movie.

I don't even consider the abominations of the Alien Vs. Predator movies when I think about the franchise. Honestly, I had forgotten about them when I opened the thread. They feel more like terrible Predator movies to me than anything else.

All that being said, I await to see what is being done with Alien 5. The first two flicks in the franchise are among my absolute favorites. Since I was a little kid I've wanted to see an Alien movie pick up where Aliens left off, Newt and Hicks in tow. The news of the new film picking up where the second film has me more excited than I should be. We'll see.
Old 03-01-15, 05:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
When people bash Resurrection, the only thing I see them point to is the hybrid/baby finale. Yes, I admit that one part sucked. Story wise it made sense, but the execution was terrible. However what else can you give me? It was still leaps and bounds above the skull**cking Prometheus did.
I agree that Resurrection is better than Prometheus (an opinion that was heavily attacked when I posted it in the Prometheus discussion thread years ago), but I still think Resurrection is a poor aliens film. There's virtually no tension in the movie, and I couldn't care less about those characters. Ripley becomes this wholly detached, bland thing. Alien 3, for all of its faults, had characters that you could connect to on some level, and Ripley still gave a shit. Also if I recall, the movie lingers on shots of the aliens so there's virtually no mystery left to them.
Old 03-01-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Apparently this'll be an Avengers crossover.

Old 03-01-15, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You really love those images, Rocshemp.

They are fun to see.
Old 03-01-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Alien Resurrection is fine as a Jean-Pierre Jeunet film. I hated it when I first watched it. After seeing his other films (at the time, it was probably Amelie and City of Lost Children), I revisited it and could view it in a different way. Still, a strange direction to take. What did Fox expect?
It was odd. I have no idea why a guy who directed whimsical French art house movies seemed like Fox's choice to direct a sci-fi action film. Plus, from what I understand, he hardly spoke any English at the time, so directing must've been difficult.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I agree that Resurrection is better than Prometheus (an opinion that was heavily attacked when I posted it in the Prometheus discussion thread years ago), but I still think Resurrection is a poor aliens film. There's virtually no tension in the movie, and I couldn't care less about those characters. Ripley becomes this wholly detached, bland thing. Alien 3, for all of its faults, had characters that you could connect to on some level, and Ripley still gave a shit. Also if I recall, the movie lingers on shots of the aliens so there's virtually no mystery left to them.
I think part of that is just the technical limitations. There used to be a limit to what you could do with practical effects and budgets at the time. Now CG lets you show pretty much anything you want, and the mystique of the monster we barley see in the shadows is gone now, replaced with banal CG creatures.

Originally Posted by RocShemp

I'm going to regret asking this, I just know it, but where are you getting all of these?
Old 03-01-15, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From here, or some other site that gets from it from there.
Old 03-01-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm going to regret asking this, I just know it, but where are you getting all of these?
Found them on FaceBook.
Old 03-01-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

That reminds me of Twisted Toyfare Theater, just only one image instead of a series that tells a funny story.
Old 03-02-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Spoiler:
They'll be lots of man on man action.
Old 03-02-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, now I'm trying to imagine a Hulk Xenomorph. But how likely would it be? Couldn't Hulk just rip the Facehugger off? Unless it caught him as Banner and "impregnated" him before he transformed into Hulk (who would then rip off the Xenomorph). Then we'd get a Xenomorph that could Hulk out.
Old 03-02-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Funny, the gaming site Kotaku just linked to these today.

They're from this guy - https://www.facebook.com/hrjoephotog...=page_internal

And his Instagram - https://instagram.com/hrjoe_photography/
Old 03-02-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

"gaming" is a loose term for Kotaku these days.
Old 03-02-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
"gaming" is a loose term for Kotaku these days.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic about their content or quality, but disagree either way.
Old 03-02-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Used to go to their site regularly, then it became a straight up japanese and geek culture blog instead (nerd gawker), was disappointing. More so with Joystiq now defunct.
Old 03-02-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Completely disagree that it's "straight up" those things, but that's a conversation for elsewhere
Old 03-02-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pssh whose going to come into another comic book movie thread anyway. Oh wait this is Alien 5. What the hell?

I am curious to see what they do with this franchise.
Old 03-02-15, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, now I'm trying to imagine a Hulk Xenomorph. But how likely would it be? Couldn't Hulk just rip the Facehugger off? Unless it caught him as Banner and "impregnated" him before he transformed into Hulk (who would then rip off the Xenomorph). Then we'd get a Xenomorph that could Hulk out.
I wonder if an Alien could even burst out of Hulk's chest. Aliens are strong, but I kind of doubt they would be that strong.
Old 03-02-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I wonder if an Alien could even burst out of Hulk's chest. Aliens are strong, but I kind of doubt they would be that strong.
But if it takes his attributes (as Xenomorphs have been shown to do with their hosts), this scene could very well happen.

Old 03-02-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This thread has gotten derailed a bit I would say, but it still might be more entertaining than a new Alien movie.
Old 03-03-15, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Almost everyone who's seen the assembly cut of Alien 3 has a much higher opinion of the movie because of it.
I agree with this. The assembly cut makes a terrible movie into a mediocre one.

The added scenes better explain some things, but they don't make up for inmates that all run together.

But the movie loses all credibility by having its entire premise hinge upon a giant, unexplainable plothole. You have a multi-million dollar movie passing off crap writing that is barely tolerable in a cheap, cable movie.
Old 03-03-15, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

What's the movies plot hole?
Old 03-03-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
What's the movies plot hole?
Where the hell did the egg come from? The queen tore herself loose from her egg sack when she chased after Ripley, and it's preposterous to assume she just happened to grab an egg to take with her, just in case she got a chance to infect someone later on. Even if she did, and even if Ripley didn't give the dropship a thorough decontamination before going into hypersleep, all the eggs we've seen are motion sensitive -- they don't open unless there's a potential host nearby. It makes no sense for an egg to release a facehugger on a spaceship where everyone's in hypersleep -- how would it know it's not in some deserted derelict a la the Space Jockey's ship from the first film?
Old 03-03-15, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Where the hell did the egg come from?
Old 03-03-15, 11:02 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Where the hell did the egg come from?
Before the fucking chicken

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.