Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hour Good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hour Good?

I am thinking of buying The Hour so I am wondering what is your opinions of this movie before I make a decision to buy it or not? Thanks!!
Old 07-03-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you are talking about the hours, then skip it, its a crappy oscar nominated movie that nearly put me to sleep with Nichole winning an oscar with a fake nose.
Old 07-03-03, 09:23 PM

WHAT?!?!?!?!

CRAPPY???????

"The Hours" is one of the BEST movies I've ever seen! Buy it ASAP!
Old 07-03-03, 10:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Crappy... no. The best... also no.

Whether or not you'll enjoy depends on if...

1. You enjoy movies that deal with interesting themes, but do not offer interesting plot.
2. You enjoy "downer" movies filled with sadness.
3. You can stomach watching shallow, artsy characters suffer through often hopeless ordeals.

I felt this film was full of great artistic achievements... performances, editing, and direction were strong. Unfortunately the whoel didn't equal the sum of its parts. I found most of the characters unappealing... namely Nicole Kidman and Meryl Streep's characters. I found it difficult to sympathize with either. Julianne Moore's part of the film, however, was wonderful. I would've loved if this was the whole movie, her story. I could feel her plight in a way I couldn't with the other characters.
Old 07-03-03, 10:58 PM

"The Hours" was a hugely over-rated, pretentious bore with an agenda. Also, what is the real message this film sends? To me, it seems to be saying that when things start to get rough for an individual, then deserting your child or suicide are viable options. This movie is feminist pap with a dangerously warped agenda. Nicole Kidman is an actress I admire immensely, but I don't think she deserved the Oscar for this performance (which is really a supporting part, not lead). The Best Actress Oscar should have gone to Julianne Moore in "Far from Heaven," in my opinion.
Old 07-04-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hours was not too bad. But there are a lot of better movies out there. So if you have other movies you want to buy, buy that first!
Old 07-04-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
"The Hours" was one of the better movies of last year. Of course, if you want to see explosions and knife fights, you might want to look somewhere else.
Old 07-04-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To paraphrase Roger Ebert, I hated, hated, hated, hated, hated The Hours! There was not one single redeeming aspect of this....thing. It's 2 hours of miserable a-holes who either have a death wish or gay urges. I hated every single character in it and was practically cheering when someone would off themselves(my only regret is they didn't do it sooner).

I'm not exaggerating when I say The Hours is on my Top 5 All-Time worst movies list. And to give you an idea of the caliber of motion picture you'll find on that list, my Top 3 are Ghost in the Machine, Highlander II, and Crapman & Robin.
Old 07-04-03, 01:45 PM

The Hours is wonderfully acted and interesting to watch. This film succeeds at weaving the lives of three separate depressed women into one cohesive story. Depression is sad and incredibly hard to live with, and this film captured the desperation of these women perfectly.Julianne Moore was fantastic as a deeply depressed mother, and an imperfect human being. I don't see how anyone can believe that this film suggested that her character leaving her family was somehow noble. There is no glossing over her leaving her family, and the conclusion of the film shows a deep contrast between Moore's character and Meryl Streep's character. Grade: B+

Also, the costumes were perfect. Especially the dress Toni Collete wore in her brief scene.

Last edited by Supreme Sean; 07-04-03 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of the best films of last year.

Of course, people who never read Virginia Woolf before will not really appreciate it as much. The film is a complex examination of many issues - the right to die by one's own accord (which is connected to euthanasia), repession of gays through the ages, and the fundamental effect of art and literature (an, thusly, media) upon people's psyche.
Old 07-04-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hour, Good
Old 07-04-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

25th Hour also Good.
Old 07-04-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is Rush Hour.
Old 07-04-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moving to reviews & reccomendations.
Old 07-04-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it, but not a film that has huge replay value to me. i still bought the dvd though.