Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gibson decides to add subtitles to "The Passion"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gibson decides to add subtitles to "The Passion"

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 07:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
Since you always see a person on MTV giving the devil sign with their hand.
Are you that guy who's been in a coma since 1984?
Old 07-03-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by cupcake jesus
I liked Scorsese's take, but am excited to see Gibson's. From what I've seen/read about him, he's a devout Catholic, which makes me wonder if the film will be overbearingly dogmatic. The reviewer said that it's very Marian, whose role in the Catholic Church, in my experience, seems equal to Christ, which, as a Lutheran, I really take issue with. I'd like if he stuck to the Gospels, but wonder which one will direct the narrative. Anyone know if he's combined them? I'm sure that it will be, either way, breathtaking or guffaw-starting, fascinating.
I am a life-long Catholic, and in my experience, Mary's role in the Church is nowhere even close to being equal to the role of Christ. We honor her as the mother of Christ and that's about it - in my experience.
Old 07-03-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Are you that guy who's been in a coma since 1984?

Please stop, it's too early in the morning for this.
Old 07-03-03, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cupcake jesus
I liked Scorsese's take, but am excited to see Gibson's. From what I've seen/read about him, he's a devout Catholic, which makes me wonder if the film will be overbearingly dogmatic. The reviewer said that it's very Marian, whose role in the Catholic Church, in my experience, seems equal to Christ, which, as a Lutheran, I really take issue with. I'd like if he stuck to the Gospels, but wonder which one will direct the narrative. Anyone know if he's combined them? I'm sure that it will be, either way, breathtaking or guffaw-starting, fascinating.

I'm glad that Gibson's including subtitles, even though without, the film may be more powerful. Maybe removable subtitles on the DVD?

As a fellow Lutheran, if you even thought that Mary was equal or even remotley even to the role of Christ in the RCC, you have alot of learning to do.

And us Lutherans and Catholics are very, very similar today.
Old 07-03-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,151 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458
As a fellow Lutheran, if you even thought that Mary was equal or even remotley even to the role of Christ in the RCC, you have alot of learning to do.

And us Lutherans and Catholics are very, very similar today.

I was brought up in Lutheran schools and I don't remember any special attention to Mary other than the "Mother of Jesus".
Old 07-03-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Maybe Gibson screened it and found it to not be easy to follow, visually, as he had once thought.
Old 07-03-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'm at a loss to understand why Gibson would even consider not using sub's.
Old 07-03-03, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by audrey
I guess I'm at a loss to understand why Gibson would even consider not using sub's.
Old 07-04-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I SAW THE PASSION
By Barbara Nicolosi

---

It is the greatest movie about Jesus ever made.
For me, it'll have to be pretty amazing to top Pasolini's sublime The Gospel According To Saint Matthew.

All this subtitle brouhaha raises an interesting question: would you prefer burned-in subs or player-generated ones that you can turn off on the eventual DVD release of the film? Personally, I'm not sure, but 99% of the time all of us here seem to be advocates of burned-in subs (corresponding to the way the film was presented in theaters). Perhaps a two-disc edition would be in order?
Old 07-04-03, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
All this subtitle brouhaha raises an interesting question: would you prefer burned-in subs or player-generated ones that you can turn off on the eventual DVD release of the film? Personally, I'm not sure, but 99% of the time all of us here seem to be advocates of burned-in subs (corresponding to the way the film was presented in theaters).
Generally, advocates of burned-in subs (such as myself), are talking about title cards indicating location and such. For language subtitles, it's a different story. Although in this case its a language nobody speaks. Still, I think removable subtitles is the way to go here.

One thing I found interesting is that although Gibson went through a lot of trouble to be historically accurate in terms of the language the actors are speaking, the crucifixion itself is nothing like how history suggests it would have been. Compare to The Last Temptation of Christ, where careful attention was made to do the crucifixion based on available historical evidence...but the characters all talk in Noo Yawk accents! "Youse guys better worship the Lord, ya know?"
Old 07-05-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wm lopez
I wonder why they never made a movie about Satan?
If they made it, and told it like he is in the Bible that would convert some people to christianity.
Because you would get the young MTV crowd going to see it, and they would get a different outlook than what they think he is like.
Since you always see a person on MTV giving the devil sign with their hand.
oddly enough, are you aware of how INFREQUENTLY that Satan is actually mentioned or explained in The Bible. It's amazing when you actually do some research on the subject. I took a class in college on Demons and Devils in Western Religion and I think Satan is mentioned about 4 times in The Bible (maybe 5), and two of them are really vague mentionings. Most of Christianity's modern conceptions of Satan are from secondary sources such as John Milton and such. For example, nowhere in Genesis is it mentioned that the serpent was Satan or anything other than a serpent.......but since John Milton, almost all Christians will swear it's in there or say that is what they were taught. I consider my self an agnostic (although was raised like any other good Christian kid, I no longer support any organized religion) but I find relgious issues really interesting, and stuff like this extremely fascinating.
Old 07-06-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
One thing I found interesting is that although Gibson went through a lot of trouble to be historically accurate in terms of the language the actors are speaking, the crucifixion itself is nothing like how history suggests it would have been.
I'm not knowledged on the subject (thank God I'm an atheist ), so what, exactly, are you referring to?

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 07-06-03 at 08:28 AM.