Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ruination of a Movie: T3 (Major f'n spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ruination of a Movie: T3 (Major f'n spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-03, 11:24 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"We need a T3 forum."

I'm with Chad....If Appitomy of Dissapointment - Matrix:Reloaded Got a forum...Terminator 3(Which Rocked!) Deserves one.
Old 07-02-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a question about fate. If Judgment Day was fated to happen who is fated to win the war? Clearly John appears to be expendable or was that the event that would have changed the tide back in the machines favor?

I guess we'll have to wait until T4: Straight to Video. Or maybe a good novelization.
Old 07-02-03, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does John appear expendible? Why does TX have him as the 'Primary Target' and why also does Arnie say that his mission is to protect them BOTH. Just because he has an add-on to his mission this time doesn't mean that John becomes less important. That's like saying after you have your second child your firstborn isn't as valuable.
Old 07-02-03, 08:17 AM

Why would T4 be straight to video Lurtker1999? If T3 makes big bucks, which Im sure it will. T4 will be released in theaters.
Old 07-02-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
How does John appear expendible? Why does TX have him as the 'Primary Target' and why also does Arnie say that his mission is to protect them BOTH. Just because he has an add-on to his mission this time doesn't mean that John becomes less important. That's like saying after you have your second child your firstborn isn't as valuable.
Remember, John is dead in the timeline as it happens in T3. Katherine Brewster sends the terminator back in time to save past-John but that says nothing about whether future-John will survive. They're only both supposed to survive until a future point in time after Judgment Day.

If you take the underlying message of T3 that you cannot change the future (i.e. Judgment Day) but only delay its coming John will die. He may die to the terminator sent to assassinate him as mentioned in the movie or knowing this, he may die in the future to an unknown threat.

So either the resistance collapses on John's death or it continues to fight. I'd prefer to think it continues to fight. Therefore John is by some standards expendable.
Old 07-02-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
Why would T4 be straight to video Lurker1999? If T3 makes big bucks, which Im sure it will. T4 will be released in theaters.
For the same reason I doubt a 4th Indiana Jones movie will ever happen, the age of the actors. Some will argue that Linda Hamilton made the terminator series worth watching. She's gone but T3 is more than watchable. That's because of Arnold and the image of the leather-clad terminator he's built over the first two movies.

Without Arnold a 4th movie in the series isn't going to happen or fly. Arnold is the glue holding the 3rd movie together. People are coming to see "The Terminator" not "updated substitute Terminator" in a 4th movie.

Plus I'd rather not think of the consequences of overstaying one's welcome. Just think of Rocky 4, Nightmare on Elmstreet 4, Friday the 13th 4, Lethal Weapon 4. (I'll give you that Star Trek 4 was ok.)
Old 07-02-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lurker1999
If you take the underlying message of T3 that you cannot change the future (i.e. Judgment Day) but only delay its coming John will die. He may die to the terminator sent to assassinate him as mentioned in the movie or knowing this, he may die in the future to an unknown threat.
But death is a pretty simple work-around. If we believe that fate can be delayed, like Judgement Day was, then John could die at the age of 90 by slipping in the shower. Everyone dies.
Old 07-02-03, 11:20 AM

Well Lurker1999, Arnold already said he would love to do a T4. He even said go see T3, the more successful T3 is the faster they can start on T4. Arnold said he isnt even close to retiring. He would definatly do T4.
Old 07-02-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, we can all say that anyone who said the movie would not fly was wrong.

3 1/2 stars out of 4

T2 was awesome, T3 was also awesome.

They need to start filming T4 now!
Old 07-05-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So either the resistance collapses on John's death or it continues to fight. I'd prefer to think it continues to fight. Therefore John is by some standards expendable.
I'm sure he'll be on the look out for the Terminator on the date the Terminator told him. Then he'll die of the "other threat" (natural causes) as arnold says... "all humans die inevitably" or something like that. He also said that their children are important to the resistance.
Old 07-05-03, 05:39 PM
Banned

T4, whats the point

Dont get me wrong with the title of the subject cuz I love The Terminator movies and even love the video games but why a T4 shouldnt be done is mentioned right in the T3. I just came back from watching T3 and best movie of the year IMHO but.....
SPOILER!! in T3 tells us.

SPOLIER BELOW!!!!

Spoiler:
They have already spolied a ending right in the T3 movie for a T4 which is probley the future war but we already know the ending of T4 because The Terminator mentions, if you live (John Conner), you win the war against the machines but thats not his exact words but people who saw T3 will know what I'm talking about.

My question is, how will they put Arnold in a T4 movie if they do deicide to make 1?.

I think alot of people are disappointed with the ending of T3 because The Rise of The Machines and because they hate the thought of all those women and children dying.

I actually like the ending because the good guys didnt actaully win in T3 and all those nukes going off just made a totally different ending from any movie in a while.

Last edited by KillaBeez; 07-05-03 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-05-03, 06:43 PM

Re: T4, whats the point

Originally posted by KillaBeez
My question is, how will they put Arnold in a T4 movie if they do deicide to make 1?.
They can have the future war and we get to see the terminators evolution from the rubber skinned onces to the Arnold ones. Ending with Arnold and Reese being sent back in time.
Old 07-05-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
I wouldlike to see them exploit the possibilities surrounding the deleted scene in T1 where we see all those different models of the T-800 series (the ones that don't look like Arnold).
Old 07-05-03, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
Well Lurker1999, Arnold already said he would love to do a T4. He even said go see T3, the more successful T3 is the faster they can start on T4. Arnold said he isnt even close to retiring. He would definatly do T4.
I read an article where Arnold says he was done with Terminator. Of course, anything can be posted on the internet...

Stahl and Danes do have options for T4 though.
Old 07-05-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I think this might be one of the biggest "F you!" to the public. In T2, the ending ment that you control your own future.. in this one, it looks like you can't change the future, just how you get there.
...so you believe that at the end of T2 the threat of Judgement Day was gone? I don't think so, and based on her actions, I don't think Sarah believed that either.
Old 07-05-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That's fine if "You don't think so". but it's a james cameron film. he always goes for the image of hope in his films and in the end of the film there was a dark road ahead of them. signifying that the future is dark and now unknown. The end of T2 was pretty much a closure picture. I was surprised that they made a t3 at first, I'm glad that they pulled it off well but you can't say that T2 left it with an open ending for folks to believe that the war of the machines was going to come to past.
Old 07-05-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
In several of the supplemental materials in the Ultimate Edition of T2 Cameron states that he wanted an open ending since he made such a point throughout the film that future was not set and could always be changed and he admitted that he wanted to leave it open for a sequel. Of course it seems he later changed his mind since he didn't contribute anything to the making of T3.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-06-03 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-05-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there any chance Cameron would be involved in T4?
Old 07-05-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As I stated in another thread, according to the August issue of Muscle and Fitness magazine (don't laugh, Arnold is featured in this mag quite often as he and Joe Weider go back many years) Arnold told them he is already in negotiations for T4. If he doesn't run for Gov, I think he will do it.

As for Cameron, there is no way he would do T4 unless T3 is a major flop. His ego would not allow following up a successful T3 but it would allow him coming back to "save" the franchise. I think if T3 fails, the only way T4 gets made is with Cameron's involvement.

Last edited by moocher; 07-06-03 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-06-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The ending of T2 is up for debate - it could happen, it may not happen. Its hopeful in the sense that at the end of Terminator, the audience knew the war would happen. T2 left open the possibility that it would not happen.

Even in the future coda ending that was deleted from T2, Sarah mentions that John is fighting Skynet by being a senator.
Old 07-07-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For the same reason I doubt a 4th Indiana Jones movie will ever happen, the age of the actors. Some will argue that Linda Hamilton made the terminator series worth watching. She's gone but T3 is more than watchable. That's because of Arnold and the image of the leather-clad terminator he's built over the first two movies.

Without Arnold a 4th movie in the series isn't going to happen or fly. Arnold is the glue holding the 3rd movie together. People are coming to see "The Terminator" not "updated substitute Terminator" in a 4th movie.

Plus I'd rather not think of the consequences of overstaying one's welcome. Just think of Rocky 4, Nightmare on Elmstreet 4, Friday the 13th 4, Lethal Weapon 4. (I'll give you that Star Trek 4 was ok.)
I'll thank you to refrain from insulting the Rocky franchise If you must insist, please keep the insults to Rocky V and Tommy Gunn.

But I think that you're correct about T4, I don't see how they can fit Arnold into T4 without it appearing forced and corny, but I don't know how compelling a movie it can be without classic Arnold destruction.

birrman54
Old 07-07-03, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Arnold needs to comeback in part 4 as a badass mean Terminator like he was in part 1.
Old 07-07-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^yep, but I think Arnie's too ingrained in the public's mind as the good guy now and it would "test" bad. How about a good AND a bad Arnie terminator in the same movie???
Old 07-07-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by matome
^^yep, but I think Arnie's too ingrained in the public's mind as the good guy now and it would "test" bad. How about a good AND a bad Arnie terminator in the same movie???
you just blew my mind