Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sci-Fi Books That Need to Become Movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sci-Fi Books That Need to Become Movies

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
CHTORRRRRRRR!!!!
Old 06-27-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
Is that what they're called? Who's the author?

I really enjoyed those stories, but it seemed like there was just a smidge of a story in each issue and I had to wait forever for the next one. I've always wanted to pick them up.
Those are the book titles. I don't have them with me so I don't remember the author. I think it was ...... Christopher or something.

There acutally was a prequel book as well. "The Day the Tripods Came". I think it was released after the others. It explained how the aliens invaded and how the resistance got started (in the White Mountains). The book is set in the modern time & it says at the end the resistance might take hundreds of years (when the other books are set).
Old 06-27-03, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If made correctly, ENDER'S GAME has the potential to be one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time.
Old 06-28-03, 02:27 AM

Yes, but "Speaker For The Dead" has very little potential, on the other hand... and so does "Xenocide". They are hard to translate visually into something watchable by Joe SixPac. Anyone remember the failure of Soderbergh's "Solaris"?
Old 06-28-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by iggystar
The Xenogenesis series by Octavia Butler.
YES!! All of her books have wonderful cinematic potential.
Old 06-28-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
Anyone remember the failure of Soderbergh's "Solaris"?
I agree Soderbergh’s Solaris was a box office failure and that critics split widely. Personally, I enjoyed it. I found it sad that so few people saw the movie. Box office failures like this make studios reluctant to produce serious sci-fi and entice them to serve up more action oriented fare in its place. Hopefully, Solaris will find new life on DVD.
Old 06-28-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by audrey
Box office failures like this make studios reluctant to produce serious sci-fi and entice them to serve up more action oriented fare in its place. Hopefully, Solaris will find new life on DVD.
Same thing happened to Blade Runner. Audiences expected Indiana Solo and threw a tantrum when they had to think.

In a few years this film will experience a similar renaissance.
Old 06-28-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I think "Eater" by Gregory Benford would make a good movie.
Old 06-29-03, 10:15 PM

I saw Soderbergh's "Solaris", and although I enjoyed it much more than I expected, I still believe that remaking - or having another take at - the same novel is nothing less than criminal, since there are so many good pieces of literature out there. If Soderbergh wanted to work with Stanislaw Lem's novels, by Jove! there's plenty of them left... And Tarkovsky's film was still better, too.

I am amazed at the fact that so many older movies are being remade, and there's so much potential left untapped in literature. Hey, Hollywood! Afraid you're paying too much for author's rights or what? Stop making yet another "In-Laws" and get less crazy about making "Harry Potter" multi-film deals... get to work, cease shooting stuff based on comic books and try to go back to real literature.

Ah, and speaking of classics: while I would LOVE to see "The Fountains of Paradise" or "The City and the Stars" being turned into movies, I'd like to punish everyone involved in slaughtering "Bicentennial Man"...
Old 06-29-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by resinrats
Those are the book titles. I don't have them with me so I don't remember the author. I think it was ...... Christopher or something.

There acutally was a prequel book as well. "The Day the Tripods Came". I think it was released after the others. It explained how the aliens invaded and how the resistance got started (in the White Mountains). The book is set in the modern time & it says at the end the resistance might take hundreds of years (when the other books are set).
John Christopher...