Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Sayles Best Movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What is John Sayles Best Film?
Return of the Secaucus Seven
0%
Baby It's You
2.13%
Brother From Another Planet
2.13%
Matewan
17.02%
Eight Men Out
17.02%
City of Hope
8.51%
Passion Fish
2.13%
Lone Star
44.68%
The Secret of Roan Inish
4.26%
Sunshine State
2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

John Sayles Best Movie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: John Sayles Best Movie?

Did he speak at all about Django Lives!, the project with Franco Nero that he is writing (and was at one point directing)?
Old 06-08-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I met him at SXSW when he screened Men With Guns. He really was a very nice guy, easy to talk to. Surprising bit he said was that he knew zero English when he wrote the movie. He learned as he wrote it.

Favorite of mine is Lone Star.
Wait, do you mean he knew zero Spanish? Because as far as I know he grew up speaking English.
Old 06-08-17, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

If only Alligator could have been an option, but he only had a hand in the screenplay. I just realized that I have seen more John Sayles films than I thought I have, Brother From Another Planet (for a film class), Lone Star (for a film class), and The Secret Of Roan Inish (in the theater). That is actually a lot for me, especially from one acclaimed director as I am not mr independent film guy. The Secret Of Roan Inish is just wonderfully sublime.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 06-09-17 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 05:13 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Surprising bit he said was that he knew zero English when he wrote the movie. He learned as he wrote it.
Do you mean zero Spanish?
Old 06-09-17, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I generally enjoy Sayles films to different degrees, though the last few I had to catch on DVD. I remember "Men With Guns" as being an excruciating slog in the theater (just an absolute bore, though perhaps it was a combination of the length and the subtitles), while "Lone Star" was one of those rare films where I really enjoyed the journey it went on and genuinely satisfied with it's conclusion.

It's been a surprise and a disappointment that "City of Hope" has never found a place on home video, presented in it's proper OAR.
Old 06-09-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Did he speak at all about Django Lives!, the project with Franco Nero that he is writing (and was at one point directing)?
He didn't mention that one specifically. He mostly talked about the movie we had just seen, but he did mention that that's how he usually finances his own movies: by writing screenplays for other people.

He did talk a lot about how difficult it is for him to shoot his movies on such a low budget, while still working with professional actors. He said Go for Sisters cost about 1 million, and he shot the whole thing in 19 days, I think he said. He had problems keeping the crew together, because he wasn't paying much--he said there was a lot of turnover and some continuity problems. He said it's often a case that better-known actors just like the part and want to work with him, and he's gotten good at adjusting his shooting schedule to accommodate them so they're not waiting around the set for days and days.

He also mentioned how Edward James Olmos loves working at the really fast pace of Sayles's style of low-budget film making, and was a great mentor for the younger actors who weren't used to it.

It was interesting how he said he doesn't let actors ad-lib or change the dialogue when it comes time to film. He said he wrote it that way for a reason, and that's what he wants them to say. Sometimes if a line ends up being a tongue-twister for the actor or something, they'll work out the new line together a week or so ahead of time--but he doesn't let them do it at the last minute.

It was interesting hearing his approach.
Old 06-09-17, 08:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Wait, do you mean he knew zero Spanish? Because as far as I know he grew up speaking English.
Originally Posted by dex14
Do you mean zero Spanish?
Crap typo, sorry. Yes, meant to say he knew zero Espaņol when he wrote the screenplay. I remember when he was talking about it, he wrote the script when he had a free moment, like when cooking dinner. He had a Spanish dictionary and his script next to one another writing it that way.
Old 06-09-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap typo, sorry. Yes, meant to say he knew zero Espaņol when he wrote the screenplay. I remember when he was talking about it, he wrote the script when he had a free moment, like when cooking dinner. He had a Spanish dictionary and his script next to one another writing it that way.
Yeah, his ear for the tone and speech of other cultures is really amazing. In this movie, the main characters were all black and latino, and a good deal of the movie is set in Mexico.

One other funny comment--someone in the crowd asked him why he had trouble getting funding when he had such an established career and was so well-known. He said "Well--that's not always a good thing. To some degree, I'm "well-known" for making movies that are NOT going to generate millions of dollars in profit."
Old 06-09-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

he did mention that that's how he usually finances his own movies: by writing screenplays for other people.
He is one of the highest paid screenwriter/script doctors in the business.
Old 06-09-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He is one of the highest paid screenwriter/script doctors in the business.
Ridley Scott should give him a call.
Old 06-09-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I met him at SXSW when he screened Men With Guns. He really was a very nice guy, easy to talk to. Surprising bit he said was that he knew zero English when he wrote the movie. He learned as he wrote it.

Favorite of mine is Lone Star.
I was at that screening as well! I remember him talking about the language barrier.
Old 06-09-17, 12:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ha, nice! I was the projectionist for the screening.
Old 06-09-17, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HistoryProf
Caoimhin! That was my choice as well....you think we'll ever see a decent dvd of it though? It's one of the most pathetic releases out there..... Artisan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I periodically email Criterion re: their "request a title" appeal asking for Matewan. Hey, it worked for One-Eyed Jacks.

Be great to see a nice transfer along with essay(s), bonus features, etc.

Films that don't exist on DVD or only in bad transfers or public domain (Matewan, Two Women, The Big Sky) deserve to be rescued and given their due.
Old 06-09-17, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love Criterion to release City Of Hope. It's such an underrated film.