Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there any good straight to video movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love movies that i know nothing about. Below, Downward Angle, and Equalibrium were great movies. Can you people help me out, on finding other good movies like these. Since these movies never get any hype or actors you never know which movies are good, and which ones are bad.
Old 06-25-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Drive - starring Mark Dacascos and that guy from "A Different World" is a pretty good Hong Kong type action movie that no one knew about until it grew into a cult hit. Might not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed it and the fight scenes were top notch.

Photographing Fairies - is also another title that I enjoyed. It gets pretty mixed reviews, but I loved the way this film was made. Good cinematography and a nice musical score enhance the drama.

Boondock Saints - pretty sure you've probably heard about this one already. It started as an exclusive at Blockbuster and grew more and more popular by word of mouth (mostly in the college scene). I thought it was only o.k. when I first saw it, but it's growing on me. Very quotable movie.

(Hehe just so you guys know, I was editing my reply when RyoHazuki posted his and I just happened to add Boondock Saints)

Last edited by Shilex; 06-25-03 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-25-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im going to say this before it gets mentioned. Boondock Saints had a short theatrical run. [Myworthlessopinion]Also its a very crappy movie so it doesn't qualify. [Myworthlessopinion]
Old 06-25-03, 11:03 PM

You can close this thread if you want or keep it open since i just found another thread just like this in DVD talk.
Old 06-25-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Dagon was a nice find recently for me. I don't think it was ever released domestically. Either way, pretty much the only place to find new and exciting horror movies is in the direct to video market.
Old 06-26-03, 03:40 AM
Banned

Re: Is there any good straight to video movies?

Originally posted by csim
I love movies that i know nothing about. Below, Downward Angle, and Equalibrium were great movies. Can you people help me out, on finding other good movies like these. Since these movies never get any hype or actors you never know which movies are good, and which ones are bad.
Below and Equilibrium are not straight-to-video movies. Even Downward Angel got a very VERY limited release before appearing on DVD two months later, but that's a lot closer to what you're talking about.

When I think straight-to-video, I think of movies starring Dolph Lundgren, Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Shannon Tweed and Jeff Speakman -- or sequels to movies you barely knew anything about (i.e. Mangler 2, Wishmaster 2). And now we have Sly Stallone's last two efforts skipping the big screen. You can also tell a Charlie Sheen straight-to-video film when he's credited as Charles Sheen. So along those lines, Entertainment Weekly actually gave a positive review to Nature of the Beast, starring Lance Henriksen and Eric Roberts.
Old 06-26-03, 04:01 AM

Dog Soldiers was pretty good and was never released theatrically in the US, though it was in the UK. I'm sure there are a bunch of other good foreign movies that were never released in the US theatrically.
Old 06-26-03, 11:50 AM

I thought "Aladdin and the King of Thieves" from Disney was pretty good, especially for a second sequel to "Aladdin".
Of course, it helped to have Robin Williams back as the Genie.

Redcon1
Old 06-26-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Big Shot: Confessions of a Campus Bookie was a made for FX movie and now on DVD. It was pretty good if you like gambling type movies
Old 06-26-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Ginger Snaps is pretty well known as well and was Direct-to-Video in the USA (Though played wide in Canada and played at a festival or two.) Most people seem to like it a lot as well.. kind of like Carrie with werewolves.