Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

From Justin To Kelly - Reviews are in

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first review is in, and it's surprisingly good :

Justin and Kelly improve on Frankie and Annette

Annette and Frankie they aren't. And that's a good thing.

"From Justin to Kelly," the post "American Idol" concoction starring Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini, is 40 years removed from the similarly contrived "Beach Party" films with former Mouseketeer Annette Funicello and teen heartthrob Frankie Avalon.

It's also about 40 times better, which isn't a glowing recommendation. Re-watching "Beach Party" turns out to be worse than a third-degree sunburn, particulary when Annette sings "Treat Him Nicely" while gazing at her mirror image. The film also is rife with icky grownups. Didn't Robert Cummings, Dorothy Malone, Morey Amsterdam and Harvey Lembeck have any other options?

"From Justin to Kelly" -boys meet girls on spring break in Miami- works 12 listenable tunes into its connect-the-dots plot. Adults aren't a factor, leaving ample time for Clarkson and Guarini to earn a few credits toward their junior thespian degrees under the capable direction of Robert Iscove ("She's All That" and ABC's Emmy-nominated remake of "Cinderella").

Clarkson, pride of Burleson, Texas, is first seen singing in a dive Texas bar. Her level-headed character, Kelly Taylor, quickly joins best pals Alexa (Katherine Bailess) and Kaya (Anika Noni Rose) on a fun 'n' sun trip to the beach. Meanwhile, Justin Bell (Guarini) also is good to go with a "Pennslyvania Posse" that includes con artist Brandon (Greg Siff) and nerdy Eddie (Brian Dietzen).

It's only a matter of time - perhaps ten minutes- before Kelly and Justin lock eyes on the beach. But sexy Alexa's Alexis-style foul play keeps their lips at bay until the film's homestretch. "Anytime you need love, baby, I'm on your side," Justin finally sings to Texas' No. 1 Kelly girl. Backatcha, Curly.

Rated PG and actually tamer than that, the film's frequent musical breaks might leave lots of teenage boys wondering how their girlfriends got them into this instead of "The Hulk." "From Justin to Kelly" is hardly "West Side Story," but it could be considered a cousin twice removed. Gotta sing, gotta dance- most winningly in an energetic opening production number called "The Bounce."

It's all smoothly packaged and presented by 19 Entertainment, the UK based company that brought "American Idol" to these shores.

**1/2 out of ****

Ed Bark at the Dallas Morning News
Old 06-19-03, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That reviewer is inherently retarded because he doesn't like the Beach Party movies. Those movies rocked.

They were independent productions and were arguing to a new generation to have fun for fun's sake. From J to K is a corporate shill movie designed to sell products to an increasingly brain dead target demographic.
Old 06-19-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sure hope its decent (hey, my pick at a movie to see is either charlies angels 2 or t3.)
Old 06-19-03, 02:04 PM
Banned

Pants : J2K is made to make money but also to entertain the audience. See it and you will see.

Anyway I'm sure Hulk or any other of this summer's big blockbusters aren't made only for money lol
Old 06-19-03, 02:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds good. I've been looking forward to this one. A musical has been nominated for Best Picture for the last two years, so there's no reason to think that 2003 will be any different.
Old 06-19-03, 02:06 PM
Banned

Groucho : You will always be funny
Old 06-19-03, 02:08 PM
Banned

mcbg1- Are you a masochist or something? Why did you start this thread? You're going to get killed
Old 06-19-03, 02:13 PM
Banned

I don't care because I just want people to post the Reviews in here, good or bad , so people can decide for themselves what they think of the movie without being influenced by brainless comments from people who haven't seen the movie * cough * Pants and Groucho for example hehe *cough*
Old 06-19-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Call me old-fashioned. I like my pinup cutieboy-hunk popstars to be recognizeably one race or another.
Old 06-19-03, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by adamblast
Call me old-fashioned. I like my pinup cutieboy-hunk popstars to be recognizeably one race or another.
As long as they've got a brown hole.
Old 06-19-03, 02:21 PM

Why so down on me? I said I'm looking forward to it and even hinted that it might be an Oscar contender!
Old 06-19-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
That reviewer is inherently retarded because he doesn't like the Beach Party movies. Those movies rocked.

They were independent productions and were arguing to a new generation to have fun for fun's sake. From J to K is a corporate shill movie designed to sell products to an increasingly brain dead target demographic.
I agree with the second part.
Old 06-19-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mcbg1
without being influenced by brainless comments from people who haven't seen the movie * cough * Pants and Groucho for example hehe *cough*
I thought both were rather witty.

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I sure hope its decent (hey, my pick at a movie to see is either charlies angels 2 or t3.)
That's when you stay home and watch a DVD.
Old 06-19-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pants
As long as they've got a brown hole.
I sure hope that wasn't a Justin Guarini anal sex joke! omg! stfu!

Justin Timberlake anal sex jokes, on the other hand, are totally kewl.
Old 06-19-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
leaving the ridiculously snide "J & K are much better than Frankie & Annette" comment aside, this reviewer totally blew ANY credibility he might've had with this ditty --

""From Justin to Kelly" is hardly "West Side Story," but it could be considered a cousin twice removed."

That is inherently wrong on SO MANY levels..

BTW...I ask again, if her characters name is Kelly Taylor...and her "friends call her "Kelly"", what do people who AREN'T her friends call her?
Old 06-19-03, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
BTW...I ask again, if her characters name is Kelly Taylor...and her "friends call her "Kelly"", what do people who AREN'T her friends call her?
mcbg1
Old 06-19-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 06-19-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kelly Clarkson was on The Daily Show last night and when she was asked if the movie was any good she said it was "good for 8 year olds."
Old 06-19-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Miss Jackson if they're nasty . . .
Old 06-19-03, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by pjflyer
Kelly Clarkson was on The Daily Show last night and when she was asked if the movie was any good she said it was "good for 8 year olds."
I hate to correct you, but what she actually said was was "good for retarded 8 year olds." Which is about the level I'm on, so its all good.
Old 06-19-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Morey Amsterdam was a genius.
Old 06-19-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by pjflyer
Uh oh...is the plausable deniablity beginning..? According to mcbg1's past ramblings...er...postings, Kelly took her time with her album to make sure it's what she wanted to release and NOT some prepackaged pop product [say that three times fast..]. So, if this movie tanks, will she come out and say she was contractually obligated to do the movie even though she wasn't comfortable with the script?
Old 06-19-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I will at least say this about the movie - it's impossible for me to see trailers for it and not think of mcbg1. It's as if "From Justin to Kelly" and mcbg1 now share a symbiotic relationship in my mind.
Old 06-19-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Her name in the movie is "Kelly Taylor"? As Jenny Garth in Beverly Hills 90210 Kelly Taylor? They couldn't have come up with another last name?
Old 06-19-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Her name in the movie is "Kelly Taylor"? As Jenny Garth in Beverly Hills 90210 Kelly Taylor? They couldn't have come up with another last name?
It's an homage. A nod toward today's classics of modern literature.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.