Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What do you think about the MiaM theory?
All signs point to MiaM
34.15%
MiaM is a cop-out, lame idea
51.22%
I'd rather not have an opinion until Revolutions is released
12.20%
What is a MiaM?
2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

MiaM Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
MiaM Poll

So after reading all the different arguments for and against, lets see it by the numbers.
Old 06-09-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lame, lame, lame, lame, lame. Super uber lame.

That'd be about as lame as a 30 minute rave scene. Maybe lamer.
Old 06-09-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lame idea.
Old 06-09-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Lame idea, not to mention with the teaser poster saying that things will come to an end.. Having a matrix in matrix really be carried out doesn't seem like any sort of END.
Old 06-10-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd just like to point out that the options "All signs point to MiaM" and "MiaM is a cop-out, lame idea" are not exactly contradictory. I might think that all signs point to MiaM, but that doesn't mean I think it's a cool idea.
Old 06-10-03, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
All signs point to a Matrix in a Matrix, and it's a lame idea.

I guess you can split my vote.

-- Jough
Old 06-10-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Lame idea, not to mention with the teaser poster saying that things will come to an end.. Having a matrix in matrix really be carried out doesn't seem like any sort of END.
with the amount of money they are making do you think the execs really want this to end.

maybe the trilogy will end.

I do think matrix movies might continue.
Old 06-10-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the cast and crew(directors, etc.) have the ball in their cornor and they have stated many times that the third ends it. I think WB would like more, but it wont happen, other then in the form of the matrix MMORPG game after revolutions.
Old 06-10-03, 12:49 PM

where is the "there's no way it's MiaM" choice? a little biased are we?
Old 06-10-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to take sides, I totally agree with Jough above. But why does MIAM mean it can't end?

Why can't (in 2.5 movie hours) Neo figure out that it is a MIAM, find his way out and save the world? We're assuming he can do the save the world part even if it isn't a MIAM, and he appears to have already figured out it is a MIAM, so the only extra is finding his way out.

I don't know that I like it as it is obvious, but it's certainly possible by the "rules" of Hollywood.
Old 06-10-03, 01:00 PM

because there is no way NEO could, in the real word(weather that's where Zion is or not), stop a bunch of machines by himself
Old 06-10-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is that answering my (rhetorical) question? Cause I'm not understanding that reply since I'm agreeing that MIAM is most likely with out current knowledge/understanding.
Old 06-10-03, 01:33 PM

you asked if it is MiaM why it would be lame, that's one reason why that would be a lame way to end the movie. i said nothing about it being MiaM in that post. i think there is no way based on what the actors have said in interview
Old 06-10-03, 01:34 PM
Retired

Cop out. Lame idea IMO. It would just be cheesy. Plus, it would be too obvious for a "twist" thus making it even lamer.
Old 06-10-03, 01:36 PM

Lame as hell, but I'm not going to make a permanent opinion till Revolutions is out.
Old 06-10-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, now I'm more confused.

Daytrip, I know you don't hold with the MIAM idea. Ok. But why do you say "because there is no way NEO could, in the real word(weather that's where Zion is or not), stop a bunch of machines by himself"? [sic]

That implies that MIAM is the answer, which doesn't match with your other comments. That's why I didn't understand that post.

Not that it matters.

Oh, and I didn't ask why is it lame, I asked why can't it end even if MIAM is true. People seem to think little of the imagination of film writers. Look at the Highlander series, you can do absolutely anything. And yes, it can be lame.
Old 06-10-03, 02:26 PM

ok we misread each other, it could end with a MiaM but it could not end with neo and humanity victorious. if it is a MiaM and neo realizes this and gets out of both there is no way he by himself(since no one else knows about the second matrix) can stop the machines if there even are machines it brings up way to many more questions
Old 06-10-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Daytrip
ok we misread each other, it could end with a MiaM but it could not end with neo and humanity victorious. if it is a MiaM and neo realizes this and gets out of both there is no way he by himself(since no one else knows about the second matrix) can stop the machines if there even are machines it brings up way to many more questions
You don't know that. If it is a MiaM, we have no idea what the real outside world looks like, so we don't know whether there are other people already "awake" or not, or what Neo might be able to do once he gets there, with or without help. You can't assume, if is a MiaM, that the real world will look anything like what the people in Zion "see." All of that could be an elaborate diversion created by the Architect, and may not resemble reality at all.

In other words, we don't even know how many machines there might be in reality, if the perceived reality is a MiaM.

The way I see it, the scenario of Neo acquiring some mystical powers from the Matrix (a computer simulation) that work against the machines in the real worlds seems a bit more lame than a MiaM theory.

BTW, this is one of the reasons that I think Reloaded is a better movie than some people give it credit for. I haven't seen this much fascinating debate since the "I am your father" line was presented in Empire Strike Back!
Old 06-10-03, 03:47 PM
Needs to provide a working email

IMHO the MiaM idea is as bad as the "wake up in the end because it was all a bad dream" method.
Old 06-10-03, 04:42 PM

you're right, i don't know that, no one does but that's a lot of stuff to cram into one movie. they have to explain what happened to neo, let neo fight smith, go to the oracle, explain how trinity goes to rescue neo, show the sentinals attack zion(you see the mech thing fighting in the trailer for M3), resolve that fight, destroy the machines or visa versa. that doesn't leave much for neo to realize the two matrix thing, wake himself from both, introduce and explain new characters, and end the movie in some way. i just don't see it happening