Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Matrix or Terminator?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Matrix or Terminator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I'm amazed that someone said T2 wasn't that great of a movie. Matrix was probably better then T1, but T2 is by far superior to both Matrix movies. Overall, the Terminator trilogy is triumphant, unless of course T3 stinks and Matrix 3 is the best movie I've ever seen.

Terminator is the champion!
Old 06-09-03, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terminator series by a whole lot.
Old 06-09-03, 01:01 AM
Banned

I think when I watch T3 Extreme Edition I'll vote for the Terminator franchise
Old 06-09-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Until T3 and Revolutions release, I'm voting Terminator. I think that The Matrix is better than The Terminator, but T2 absolutely blows away Reloaded.
Old 06-09-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Matrix for me. Lord of the Rings is actually much farther down on my list of trilogies. Both Indy and BTTF are ahead of it, and so far the X-Men movies are high up there too.
Indy I could maybe see, but BTTF?!? BTTF3 was a big, honking turd. As trilogies go, I think that BTTF3 was only beaten out by Godfather 3 as the worst final installment of a trilogy EVER.

And I still feel that people are misusing the term trilogy. Just because a franchise is currently at picture 3, doesn't make it a trilogy. I don't think that Indiana Jones is a trilogy any more than Batman or the James Bond flicks were when they hit their third picture. The Matrix was conceived as a trilogy, as was LOTR, as was both Star Wars trilogies. Indiana Jones and the Terminator are clearly open-ended "franchises".
Old 06-09-03, 01:34 PM
Suspended

As of right now, Terminator BY FAR
Old 06-09-03, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Matrix.

If you watch T1 and T2 consecutively, you'll be saying WTF? I mean how the hell do you send back 3 arnolds when two of them are dead. And who made the decision that the first one is evil while the latter two are guardians. Not to mention you'll be saying WTF x2 when you watch T3. The T series is basically all action and no thinking.

Matrix on the other hand is deep + action = the $hit.
Old 06-09-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Peep
Indy I could maybe see, but BTTF?!? BTTF3 was a big, honking turd. As trilogies go, I think that BTTF3 was only beaten out by Godfather 3 as the worst final installment of a trilogy EVER.

And I still feel that people are misusing the term trilogy. Just because a franchise is currently at picture 3, doesn't make it a trilogy. I don't think that Indiana Jones is a trilogy any more than Batman or the James Bond flicks were when they hit their third picture. The Matrix was conceived as a trilogy, as was LOTR, as was both Star Wars trilogies. Indiana Jones and the Terminator are clearly open-ended "franchises".
I sort of disagree with some of your trilogy examples. Especially considering the LOTR movies (ignoring the books for a second) were originally conceived as 2 long movies before New Line got hold of them. And from some previous threads about the liberties Lucas has taken with the original Star Wars trilogy, an argument could probably be made about the nature of those movies. But those are just nitpicking, so you're right though . If we stuck to the definition of a true trilogy, there would be very few comparisons to make as i can only think of a handful of actually planned trilogies.

As for LOTR, i'm just not a big fan of the movies. I've always felt them to be highly overrated in multiple aspects, especially the accolades Peter Jackson has recieved.
Old 06-09-03, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Matrix on the other hand is deep + action = the $hit.
I personally didnt find anything deep about reloaded, just kick ass action.
Old 06-09-03, 03:19 PM

matrix by far,

T1 is a decent movie IMO no better than than T2 was groundbreaking and is up there with the first matrix movie. i'm not even going to see T3 until it hits the $1 theatre with LOTR and the matrix series it lacks luster to me.

i loved the first matrix, went into the theatre without knowing what i was about to see and left amazed. i liked revolutions even more than the original thought i think that's mostly because i haven't seen revolutions yet. i consider reloaded and revolutions to be one movie. i think that the first movie will stand the test of time even if i get bored with reloaded/revolutions. there was just so much info packed into reloaded and so many connections to gnostic religion that it lost the intrest of most people. once you read into it a bit it gets interesting and it makes you realize how much thought went into the matrix movies
Old 06-09-03, 04:40 PM

Why compare those two in the first place? As long as I'm concerned, the first Terminator movie is a good 80's action/sci-fi flick but its sequel was much of a long and boring experience. Yes, the effects were groundbreaking but other than that... I mean, the story was as empty as they can get, Arnold is as moving as a cement truck lost in the desert (don't give me that : "he's a robot so it's normal" crap - we are supposed to feel sadness once he starts skinny dipping in hot metal at the end of the pic but I find my self absolutely unmoved each and every time I had to go through it). And just measure the lenght of that long middle part from the moment they first escape the badass robot till he finds them back. It seems to last for hours. I can't bare to watch this film ever again.

On the other hand, Martrix was kind of good too. Better than most sci-fi movies made nowaday. I got to the sequel without according too much importance to the bad buzz that was printed around and I was pretty pleased. I think it does what it intends to do and it does it good. It's a movie made to ask questions which will only be answered in its conclusion which I am waiting for.

Then there is this new Terminator movie which is made for the sole purpose of bringing more money even without the input of the original creator of what became a franchise. You can't blame them for it but you can certainly not go and watch this movie which from the trailer I've seen will probably a rehash of the last one.
Old 06-09-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Terminator of course. Not even a competition. Matrix is just the "in" thing right now.
Old 06-09-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Matrix over Terminator (but just a little)

T2 way over Matrix 2

If I had a choice, I would take T over M.
Old 06-09-03, 09:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Terminator is great, but it's really just a slasher movie wrapped in sci-fi time travel clothing.

T2 is one of the best sci-fi action flicks of all time... it manages to expand on the original to an amazing degree. The effects are worlds beyond the first film, but it still feels like a natural extension and not a retroactive tack-on.

The Matrix is the perfect trilogy opener. It gives us a lot of wonder, but doesn't give it all away, leaving you wanting more. The story is full of depth and is quite thought-provoking. It makes the most of its unique premise.

Matrix Reloaded is a nice looking but ultimately empty action film. It's story is really just a string of cause-and-effect action pieces that exist pretty much just to set up Revolutions. Unlike the first Matrix, the 'intellectual' material seems false, as if they made it convoluted to appear deep. It's not much use judging this until Revolutions comes out, because it's really just half a movie.

I'm giving the slight edge to Terminator. I have T2 and the first Matrix about equal, Terminator 1 a bit further down, and Reloaded a bit below that.
Old 06-09-03, 09:52 PM

I would say T2 all the way since that was and still is my best movie of all time!!! Not much fun of the T1
However Matrix is still amazing though
Old 06-10-03, 11:50 AM

Terminator BY FAR

friggin the entire matrix's antagonist is ripped off of Terminator. Humans Vs Machines oh no!
Old 06-10-03, 11:51 AM

Plus, not a SINGLE CHARACTER in the matrix series is as memorable as :

Ahnold Schwazennegar!
Old 06-10-03, 12:57 PM

every other movie that will come out this year has something we've seen before.

come on Chim, we've seen it all in one form or another. There are a ton of movies dealing with the advancement of machines and the danger to mankind they bring
Old 06-10-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Chim
Plus, not a SINGLE CHARACTER in the matrix series is as memorable as :

Ahnold Schwazennegar!
Arnold was memorable to me even before Terminator 2. T2 just reinforced it. I think Keanu Reeves as Neo was pretty memorable to me, as was Larry Fishburne's Morpheus and Carrie Anne Moss's Trinity. When i see Arnold, i think of Arnold, when i see Moss i know i'll think Trinity Plus, Keanu's "woah" as almost up there with "i'll be back"
Old 06-10-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
It's neck and neck.

The Matrix is on par with T1 and T2,

whereas Matrix 2 was a let-down.

From the looks of it, T3 will also be a let-down as well.
Old 06-11-03, 01:14 AM

Really hard... but it depends on what you're looking for in terms of storyline continuity, characters, etc. The Terminator movies always reminded me of the Alien series, but different--i.e. apple vs. applepears. Comparing Terminator with the Matrix is like comparing apples and oranges. Why bother though? I say, "who gives a crap" and enjoy the hell out of both. Terminator 3 is coming out July 2nd and Matrix Revolutions is what, November? So there's plenty of time to savour T3/the trilogy (as a whole) for all it's worth.

I have high hopes for T3 since they've had plenty of time to really work the plotline/continuity, etc. Considering the Matrix though... Reloaded wasn't at all up to par and *that* was filmed in a LOTR-style, all-at-once period; if the sequel is a taste of what inanity is to come, *whatever deity* help us all. I'd much rather look forward to the LOTR: ROTK and leave it at that for satisfying trilogies.
Old 06-11-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Id choose The Matrix films. I love the Terminator films, but im into the Matirx feel alot more. Im way more excited about The Matrix Revolutions than i am about T3 which looks like total crap! One things for sure though, T2 has to be one of the best sequels ever!
Old 06-11-03, 08:06 AM

Close, close, close. As of now this is dead even. I guess the 3rd installment of these films will tip the scales one way or the other.
Old 06-11-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

T1 beats the Matrix by a bit. When you look at it, the Matrix rips off the Terminator so bad its not even funny....

Man vs. Machines Created By Man......

Agents Are Terminators (Instead of absorbing bullets, they can just dodge most of them)

I don't think T3 will do much for the series though..so the Matrix trilogy as a whole may beat the Terminator Trilogy (There may be a fourth - who knows?)

People are going to say Matrix because its fresher...
Old 06-11-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it was just Matrix vs T1 or T2, I'd probably give my nod to Matrix. But as trilogies.. as long as T3 doesn't have a 30 minute robot rave..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.