Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whale Rider: Anyone hear anything about this?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Whale Rider: Anyone hear anything about this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why is slow moving often equated with bad?

You just have to be in the right mood.
Old 11-21-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth it for Pai's speech alone.
Old 11-22-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I liked it.

Check out Once Were Warriors for a far less idyllic, but equally engaging, view of the Maori culture in the modern age.
Old 11-22-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CharlesC
Worth it for Pai's speech alone.
Old 11-24-03, 03:41 PM

Just saw it, and I wasn't that impressed. For the most part, it was an entertaining story of love and rejection between a girl and her grandfather. But it just didn't come together in the end. The acting was outstanding, no doubt. My gripe is with the story.
Spoiler:
Pai being the one that finally finds her grandfather's necklace ?
. Too contrived. The goofiest part of the story, however is...
Spoiler:
Pai sitting on top of the whale somehow convinces the whale to try and get back in the ocean ?
She actually rides a whale ?
. Come on. Don't try so hard, writer. Furthermore,
Spoiler:
Didn't she drown while riding on the whale? She stayed underwater for an extended period of time and finally let go of the whale in a lifeless way as if she was dead. How did she end up in the hospital room ? Alive? If she wasn't dead, did she swim back to shore, or did someone pick her up in a boat? Can I get some answers?
. Just seems like a good movie ruined by poor writing in the end. Keisha Hughes was adorable though. Grade: C +
Old 11-24-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
Just saw it, and I wasn't that impressed. For the most part, it was an entertaining story of love and rejection between a girl and her grandfather. But it just didn't come together in the end. The acting was outstanding, no doubt. My gripe is with the story.
Spoiler:
Pai being the one that finally finds her grandfather's necklace ?
. Too contrived. The goofiest part of the story, however is...
Spoiler:
Pai sitting on top of the whale somehow convinces the whale to try and get back in the ocean ?
She actually rides a whale ?
. Come on. Don't try so hard, writer. Furthermore,
Spoiler:
Didn't she drown while riding on the whale? She stayed underwater for an extended period of time and finally let go of the whale in a lifeless way as if she was dead. How did she end up in the hospital room ? Alive? If she wasn't dead, did she swim back to shore, or did someone pick her up in a boat? Can I get some answers?
. Just seems like a good movie ruined by poor writing in the end. Keisha Hughes was adorable though. Grade: C +
Ok, whereas I might have some trouble with this excellent film, none of the three above bugged me. My commens:

Spoiler:
Not contrived. Hey - she wasn't allowed to go and the boys didn't find it. She had her uncle take her out to the same place. She PLANNED to get it. It wasn't a coincidence. She was trying to prove herself. She knew already she was the best swimmer/breather of the whole bunch.

Spoiler:
Hey , *I've* ridden a whale. Well, sort of, while scuba diving. So, having her ride one wasn't a big deal for me.

Spoiler:
yeah, she "drowned"... that bugged me too. But there IS the lines: "go get the boats!!!" when they realize she is out there. the grandfather doesn't go, but a lot of the maori went out after her. they picked up her drowned body, and probably someone there did know cpr.... they aren't dumb. and still, she almost died...

Maybe that helps. Maybe not. But still a good movie.
Old 11-25-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very good but not the masterpiece that some are calling it......