Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Raiders of the Lost Ark: Fan edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone had the good fortune to see this?

In 1981 – I was 9 years old when I saw RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Some of you, though it boggles my brain, were not even born yet. However, to the crowd right now entering our thirties, heading into our mid-thirties and even stepping well into our forties and fifties… June 12, 1981 was one of those – OHMYGOD moments in history. I actually saw RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK at a sneak preview at the Fox Theater here in Austin, Tx 4 days before it opened. That theater is now, oddly, a Mercedes Benz Outlet. I was a maniac before and after that film, but I don’t think I knew a kid that didn’t want to be Indiana Jones.
I was going to central America and South America with my parents to visit temples buried deep in the jungles, and had been for 4 years when I saw that movie. Growing up on serials, it amazed me.
However, in Mississippi – there was a 10 year old boy, also born in 1971 that saw RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and he didn’t idly think… I want to be Indiana Jones… He was determined TO BE INDIANA JONES. His name, Chris Strompolis. He had friends and they all began hatching a plot, “We’ll film a shot-for-shot remake of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK!”
We’re talking 10-11-12 year olds. Kids at the age where they can do anything, dream of anything. We all dream a lot at 10-12… hell, on up through college and until we hit the real world. Some never cease dreaming, few ever really do the dream. Eric Zala, Jayson Lamb and Chris Strompolis shot a shot-for-shot remake of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Close to Seven years later… they finished.
They grew up in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. They learned to sew costumes, blow **** up good, take molds of their heads, drag under motorized vehicles, be hurled through windows, set themselves on fire, set their basement on fire, take over a WWII Submarine, improvise brilliantly another animal for the monkey, blow up a truck, get a shitload of snakes, build a giant boulder, the first kiss, get a girl to strip and put on Marion’s dress while they filmed it in the mirror. They dressed their friends up as Nazis, killed a brother over and over again, made over 40 traditional Arabic costumes, swordfight, beat the **** out of each other, build giant Egyptian statues, con someone out of a Rolls Royce, scour Goodwill’s and Salvation Armies for costumes and props.
This was pre-DV so they had to capture things with BETAMAX recorders, VHS Camcorders… They had substandard equipment, but they got their shots. They weren’t trained actors, but they knew RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.
They started as boys and girls and finished the film as young men and women. They had the hometown screening, they dressed up for it, then Eric Zala, Jayson Lamb and Chris Strompolis went to the four winds. Eric Zala was the director and played Belloq – he went to NYU film school. Jayson Lamb set out to pursue a creative position in film and wound up in Fine Art in College. Chris Strompolis – well he went to become an actor in Hollywood, went to school, studied the craft, got a few bits here and there. Point is, for 7 years these kids shared a dream, and now they were gone.
If Lucas or Spielberg or the folks at Paramount were smart, they’d be contacting Eric Zala and crew to put this thing on an Extra Disc for that RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK DVD set – Along with a little interview thing with the three kids all grown up. Why? Because frankly – this is the dream of what films can do. Motivate kids to learn and make it. To get that first kiss, to make that first facemask, to create Nazi Uniforms and giant boulders. Because, for everyone that saw this thing, they’d remember who they were when they saw this film, that they were Indiana Jones, that they could have the greatest adventure ever. Because this thing is magic. Because it’d make for great stories and interviews and publicity, but most of all because it’d be so damn cool
Link
Old 06-02-03, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No interest at all. Lame.
Old 06-02-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry, Harry, Harry...umm, no.
Old 06-02-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok.. so this is a remake of the film shot for shot and they want us to enjoy the work they put in? I'm sorry, but it seems to be special for only those involved and I am a big fan of the indy series. This is a fan made production, it has no place as an extra disc on the dvd. Their work has no interest to me. I have the film in the other disc, Why the hell would I want to see a badly done remake of it? It seems only special for the folks involved and for good reason. It was their work. I could care less about seeing it.

Also, this wouldn't be a fan edition, this would be a "Eric Zala and crew edition". I have no interest in having the disc set production cost raise because some small crew in god knows where feels that they deserve to be placed on it. Perhaps an extra bonus material talking about the Fandom that was created because of the film with various amounts of interviews from MANY different sources and groups. But to focus on just these schmucks.. it would be too much of a niche extra that I would say 90% of the other folks wouldn't care about.

Why don't the kids just release it online as a free download or something? they shot it on Beta and VHS, but they can digitize that and stream it or something.
Old 06-02-03, 01:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark: Fan edition

Originally posted by Chew
get a girl to strip and put on Marion’s dress while they filmed it in the mirror
Good thing they got it on tape, 'cuz from the sounds of things that's the first and last time these guys will ever see THAT again.

A few more things...
- They started this when they were 12 and finished around the time they were 18-19... wouldn't they have made ridiculous jumps in age throughout the footage? Especially if they shot it non-sequentially.
- It took them 7 years? Granted they had to learn all those tricks, but all the guesswork as far as creative decisions was done.
- I have this same pet peeve with all the Star Wars and Matrix ripoff short fan films out there, but... if you're going to dedicate that much time, energy, and money into something, why not make an original creation?

I wouldn't mind seeing this out of amateur filmmaking curiosity, but this shouldn't be on the official dvd.
Old 06-02-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't post the entire article, because it's quite long. Most of what I cut out talked about how much everyone who has actually seen the movie has loved it, including Mr. Spielberg.

This sums it up best:

I feel this is the best damn fan film I’ve ever seen. The love and passion and sacrifice is on every single frame of this thing. And tonight as they received their STANDING OVATION for 4 solid minutes....
And, that was the main reason it sounded interesting to me. That doesn't mean I want it included in the set, however.
Old 06-02-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I would like to see it out of curiousity, but I don't think it should be on the disc itself.
Old 06-02-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But will it have an insert?
Old 06-02-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I saw a trailer for this at the Draft House before Bruce last two weekends ago.
Old 06-02-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed at all the negativity here. This is not some sort of hack job where they just cut out the Jar Jar footage and dub in lines for Maul where he brags about "bringing the fo-schizzle on those Jedi, and opening up a can of whoop ass on them".

This is a true act of love, one even Spielberg liked. When I read this article this morning I thought more people would be interested in seeing something like this, something done out of true love for a project, rather than a mindless studio remake done just for the dollars. And the length of time spent on it just shows their passion even more. We have trouble keeping threads going past a week here, they spent years making this.

I would love to see this as a supplement on the DVD set. If it's as bare as we're thinking it is, any little thing will help.
Old 06-02-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some friends of mine saw this screened theatrically and said it was excellent. I'd like to see it sometime.
Old 06-03-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd love to see it too. Of course it has no place in the upcoming DVD release, but it's obvious these guys were absolutely passionate about making the film, and that alone warrants a viewing in my book. Stuff like "the kiss" being that young guy's first one warms my heart (coincidentally, my first kiss was also captured on tape - though not by my request).
Old 06-03-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milo bloom
Wow, I'm amazed at all the negativity here. This is not some sort of hack job where they just cut out the Jar Jar footage and dub in lines for Maul where he brags about "bringing the fo-schizzle on those Jedi, and opening up a can of whoop ass on them".

This is a true act of love, one even Spielberg liked. When I read this article this morning I thought more people would be interested in seeing something like this, something done out of true love for a project, rather than a mindless studio remake done just for the dollars. And the length of time spent on it just shows their passion even more. We have trouble keeping threads going past a week here, they spent years making this.

I would love to see this as a supplement on the DVD set. If it's as bare as we're thinking it is, any little thing will help.
Thanks, I was beginning to feel a little lonely in here
Old 06-03-03, 06:47 AM

Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark: Fan edition

this is the dream of what films can do. Motivate kids to learn and make it. To get that first kiss, to make that first facemask, to create Nazi Uniforms and giant boulders.
Oh, the wonders of child's dream to make Nazi uniforms. It brings a tear to my eye.
Old 06-03-03, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom

No, it's a 10 year waste of time on something that's not even original. When I was a youngin', way back in 1980 or so, I rounded up every action figure I could get my paws on, grabbed my mom's 8mm camera, and went to town. Yeah, it was a lousy film, but it was MY lousy film and not some obsessive fan boy derivative knock off.

This "film" has no business whatsoever being with a hundred miles of the DVD set.
Old 06-03-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone has any information about where to get a copy of this film, please, please, please let us know.

I'm dying to see the whole film - just from seeing a few random still shots.
Old 06-03-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I have to admit - my curiosity is well past being peaked.

I want to see it.......

Does it belong on the official Indy release? Sure, why not? It can't be any worse than some of the lightweight puff pieces that litter most DVD supplementals.
Old 06-03-03, 11:38 AM

Can't be any worse than putting LEGO Holy Grail on a DVD.
Old 06-03-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by MartyMcSuperfly
No, it's a 10 year waste of time on something that's not even original. When I was a youngin', way back in 1980 or so, I rounded up every action figure I could get my paws on, grabbed my mom's 8mm camera, and went to town. Yeah, it was a lousy film, but it was MY lousy film and not some obsessive fan boy derivative knock off.

This "film" has no business whatsoever being with a hundred miles of the DVD set.
Hmm, I agree the story's not exactly original, but the sheer audacity of tackling something originally done by two of the biggest heavyweights in film, and doing it in your backyard has got to count for something.

I never filmed them, but I recall my friends and I using our Star Wars figures to do "stories". Sometimes we reenacted the movies, sometimes we did our tales, the point was we were becoming one with something we felt a lot of passion for.

I have to reiterate that this would be the perfect DVD supplement. How often do we bemoan the fact that most extras on DVDs are just "back patting, talking head" fluff pieces. Here is something that is honest. These kids loved this film so much, they made it themselves.
Old 06-03-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would watch this extra well before I ever watched a "Making Of" or "Behind The Scenes" type deal.
Old 06-03-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Numanoid
I would watch this extra well before I ever watched a "Making Of" or "Behind The Scenes" type deal.
For most flicks, yes. Not for Raiders.

As has been mentioned here already, let 'em put it out on DVD...hell, they could do what Joe Harris did with the Tooth Fairy film..
Old 06-03-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My first reaction was: "Boy, are they lucky they didn't get sued by the Lucasfilm lawyer juggernauts!"

I would love to see this film.
Old 06-03-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
My eyes bleed every time I have to read something on AICN.
Old 06-03-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[Jackskeleton speaking] Frankly, I lent my friend a tie fighter model only and he made a ten part story about that single tie fighter... Would I like to see that on a dvd along with the release of SW? Hell no. the matter is this, If Lucas film would like to do a special about the fandom behind it and have them in it in some way, then it would be cool. Sort of like how the extra feature in EVIL DEAD: Book of the dead highlighted the whole convention and fandom scene. If they just showed that one fat Sailor Saturn throughout the whole thing then it would have been annoying. Just like I feel that if they just highlighted this one project itwould have been annoying. Highlight a large part of the whole fandom.[/jackskeleton]
Old 06-04-03, 01:20 AM

There sure is a lot of negative feedback about this movie that no one here has seen. I would love to see the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.