Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors suffering from the "Julia Roberts Syndrome"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actors suffering from the "Julia Roberts Syndrome"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 12:14 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
It seems like Denzel Washington always plays a righteous, highly motivated, preachy heroic figure

Have you seen Training Days? He was a wicked crooked cop in that movie man. The guy can act.

I'll put in Jackie Chan and Jet Li.
Old 06-03-03, 12:40 PM

How can you guys forget the almighty...

JEFF GOLDBLUM?
Old 06-03-03, 01:02 PM

I know many could disagree, but
Mike Myers

All of the make-up in all of the AP movies are not enough to hide the fact that he has no comedic range and he is just a different variation of So I Married and Axe Murderer and Wayne's World.

The Cat and the Hat just frightens me. It just looks like a very poor imitation of the grinch, with his usual mannerisms.
Old 06-03-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mike Myers, I agree somewhat.

But most of the SNL graduates are pretty much static actors.... like Adam Sandler (only exception I can think of is his performance in Punch Drunk Love), Rob Snieder, David Spade, etc

Ben Affleck, basically plays as Ben Affleck in every movie I have seen him in...

Jackie Chan, mostly, except for 1 movie (forgot the name) and Jet Li, and Stephen Chow too...

I guess you can throw Jim Carrey in there, since his non-Jim Carrey films all bomb (although, I enjoy the Majestic alot).
Old 06-03-03, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

Another vote for Robin Williams. There are rare exceptions (like One Hour Photo). But usually the only difference I see is Robin Williams acting in different clothes. The whole warm-hearted, closed-lipped smiling routine is old with him. Bicentennial Man, Patch Adams, Jack, Mrs Doubtfire (sorry...still just Robin Williams in different clothes!)

I also agree with the original poster's Julia Roberts Syndrome description.
Old 06-03-03, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Lastblade
Mike Myers, I agree somewhat.

But most of the SNL graduates are pretty much static actors.... like Adam Sandler (only exception I can think of is his performance in Punch Drunk Love), Rob Snieder, David Spade, etc

Ben Affleck, basically plays as Ben Affleck in every movie I have seen him in...

Jackie Chan, mostly, except for 1 movie (forgot the name) and Jet Li, and Stephen Chow too...

I guess you can throw Jim Carrey in there, since his non-Jim Carrey films all bomb (although, I enjoy the Majestic alot).

Well...with Jim Carrey you are basically saying that once he tried to have range the public didnt except it, so the opposite effect of the Julia Roberts syndrome as his very cookie cutter comedic performance in Bruce Almighty garnered vast monetary success.

I liked Truman Show alot by the way, thought he did a very good job. Also Cable Guy rocked, which is kind of his standard performance but much deeper then that with the darkness that he added. Chris Farley was supposed to play that role originally and I cant see him adding as much depth to the role as Jim Carrey did, although that is not saying much as Chris Farley I think defines the Julia Roberts syndrome more than Julia Roberts herself.
Old 06-03-03, 08:30 PM

The majority of Parker Posey's roles are very similar. I will admit that she occasionally plays it down and doesn't overdo it, but most of the time she plays that same hyper catty chick.
Old 06-04-03, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
Huh? Parker Posey in "Waiting for Guffman" is nothing like Parker Posey in "Best in Show".
Parker Posey in A Mighty Wind is exactly like Parker Posey in Best in Show, however.

Wait a minute. Yeah. Huh? The only case to be said for Parker posey repeating herself is her in Best in Show and in Will and Grace. Maybe. I haven't seen waiting for guffman. But yeah. Dude. Parker not a julia roberts AT ALL.
Old 06-06-03, 09:30 PM

Take a quick tour through IMDB, howzabout? She's been in more movies than the Christopher Guest ones.

Let's see...

Dazed and Confused
Kicking and Screaming
Doom Generation
Daytrippers
SubUrbia
House of Yes
Clockwatchers
You've Got Mail
Josey and the Pussycats

These are just ones I've seen. Granted, in Josey and the Pussycats, she nailed it and it was awesome, but these are the movies I've seen she's in where she play "the Parker Posey" character. Have you maybe not seen any of these? I left out maybe 3... Personal Velocity (she's half herself), Scream 3 (haven't seen it, but I'm under the impression she's herself), Basquiat (she was in that? sheesh, need to see it again anyway), and I'm given to understand Party Girl would be int he same vein.
Old 06-07-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I think about it, Catherine Keener or Joan Cusack may have this thing down.

But I have a question. Do we dislike the Julia Roberts syndrome yet enjoy the james Bond series?

obviously the comparison isn't one to one, but the same character has been on screen TWENTY times now with only the rare change to a new actor to keep it visually appealing.

i like the julia roberts syndrome. i want the julia roberts syndrome. i like knowing that if catherine keener or joan cusack are in a movie, i will get to see a sarcastic, cynical bitch or a fairly off-kilter woman whose next move can't possibly be guessed.

all of these people have shown their range in one way or another. to think they might be simply being themselves while playing a role is ridiculous. i mean really, how many of us have a good relationship with an actor?

but back to the point, i'm quite happy catherine and joan and julia tend to do the same stuff. because i like them, i like their character and like knowing that i'm going to enjoy whatever movie they might be in. aside from being a little short, it was great knowing i'd enjoy walking and talking just by knowing catherine, liev schreiber and anne heche are in it. i likey them all. and likey the movie i did.

embrace the JR syndrome.
Old 06-07-03, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts
I've always thought Kevin Costner was like that.

tasha
Old 06-09-03, 02:45 AM

Catherine Keener - DEFINITE VICTIM of this disease.
Old 06-09-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by pdinosaur
Parker Posey in A Mighty Wind is exactly like Parker Posey in Best in Show, however.

I disagree. In "A Mighty Wind" she was quite perky but obviously had some kind of troubled past. In "Best In Show", she was a brittle, self-obsessed yuppie.
Old 06-09-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
My family thinks brad has no range. He always plays the "look at me, and my great body" guy.
Surely, you jest. I'm not even a Brad Pitt fan, but have you seen Kalifornia? Two of the best performances of all time, IMO (Pitt and Juliette Lewis). Also, the aforementioned 12 Monkeys, Snatch...come on...Snatch! You could barely tell it was him. Se7en...Fight Club...none of these roles are interchangeable if you ask me.
Old 06-09-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
My big ones have already been named:

Jim Carrey (other than TTS, all his characters are interchangable from movie to movie, I mean think of Batman: Forever, was that not Ace Ventura in tights?)
Adam Sandler (ditto for this non funny loser)
Denzel Washington

I can't believe no one has mentioned the mighty Meg Ryan. Queen of romantic comedy. I still like her though.

I think the thread title should be changed to "1 trick ponies"

And I cannot believe Edward Norton's name was even brought up in this thread. Some people need to go back and watch all his movies again.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 06-09-03 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-09-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for the look at my brad pitt body thing, i refer you to true romance. and of course, growing pains.