Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Romero's LAND OF THE DEAD

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting that a couple of places are now calling this "Land of the Living Dead". I wonder if they changed the title?
Old 12-20-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
A blurb from a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly:

While Hollywood's been filling its till lately from zombie flicks like 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead, somehow George Romero wound up the Forgotten Man. Romero, the director behind 1968's Night of the Living Dead and 1978's original Dawn of the Dead, hasn't made a zombie film since 1985. But suddenly the genre's graying creator is back in Hollywood vogue. ''It's a shame that it took people riffing on his films for a studio to give him another crack at it,'' says Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright. Not that Romero's holding grudges. Recently, Wright and Shaun star Simon Pegg made a kiss-the-ring pilgrimage to the Toronto set of Romero's latest blood-and-entrail opus, Land of the Dead (October 2005), where Romero put them to work as undead extras. The next night, standing next to a zombie with a leash around its neck, Romero was instructing a makeup artist how to freshen up a gash on its scalp. Taking it in like an eager pupil, Wright whispered, ''See what I mean? He's the master!''
That's pretty cool that they are zombies. I wonder if anyone else of note is going to be a zombie in this movie.
Old 12-21-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved the Pittsburgh-themed fan posters.

It's sad to see Pittsburgh references on the Toronto sets (such as Uniontown), knowing that it was too expensive for him to film it in the same city as the first three. The cost of making a film here has sky-rocketed and there's been hardly a big budget film here since The Mothman Prophecies and Wonder Boys. I've heard unions here have priced Hollywood out of what was once-considered a cheap to film in market for a lot of small to mid-budget films.
Old 04-11-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to BoxofficeMojo, this movie has been bumped up from October, to June 24th! Woo-hoo, if that's true.

Now, if this is true, then a trailer should be here within weeks. I really hope this is true.
Old 04-11-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That's some of the sweetest news I've heard all day
Old 04-11-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whooooopeeee!
Old 04-11-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeeeeeeehawwwww!!!!!
Old 04-12-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's also posted on Universal's website, so i'd say it's official. Woo-hoo!
Old 04-12-05, 12:26 AM

Yea!!!!!
Old 04-12-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the reshoots for this film just got approved?
Old 04-12-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, lot's of film's re-shoot stuff last minute. The new ending for final destination was filmed about 6 weeks before the film's release.

It's probably very minor stuff they are re-shooting. That is nearly 3 months away, so it's no big deal.
Old 04-12-05, 01:53 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Gees...Bumped up 3-4 months? Awesome!
Old 04-12-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the news is true, this is great news for the fans. This is easily one of my most anticipated films of the year.

However, if the news in true, this could be terrible news for the film itself. The film, despite how low budget it is, shouldn't be released in the hectic summer. If Universal wants to get the most out of the film in a theatrical release, October was the way to go. HOWEVER, if the film does get a June release, Universal will most likely have the DVD out in time for Halloween.
Old 04-12-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

dvd for halloween sounds about right....could be fun. i'll see it
Old 04-12-05, 03:23 AM
Banned

I really hope they don't pull off some silly "UNRATED SPECIAL EDITION WITH SCENES TOO HOT FOR TV!" type of thing when the DVD comes out.
Old 04-12-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spamcola
I really hope they don't pull off some silly "UNRATED SPECIAL EDITION WITH SCENES TOO HOT FOR TV!" type of thing when the DVD comes out.
They have to. Romero is not an R-rated filmmaker. He specifically shot so he could release an unrated DVD. Expect lots of gore on the DVD.
Old 04-12-05, 08:50 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DOOM was moved to October, so something had to fill a summer slot. Universal looked to the film with the highest exploitability and the lowest budget.
Old 04-12-05, 09:12 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Hell yeah!
Old 04-12-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 176 Posts
Oh yeah! Zombies in summer and probably a DVD by Halloween.
Old 04-12-05, 11:42 AM

While this is great news for us Romero and Horror film fans...I hope and pray that this is not a big mistake on Universal's part.
They now have just over two months to promote this film to people who have no idea that the film was made. They need to advertise the hell out it rather quickly.
And I hope Romero is finished with the film and that he is the one who completes the film. It would really suck if some other tinker was brought in to shoot reshoots and last minute edits. They could even mess with George's original ending. This moving up of the release date really kind of scares me.
"Batman Begin's" opens the week before on the 17th. "Bewitched" and "Herbie - Fully Loaded" open on the 24th also. While these are not the films most horror fans would flock to...people with familes may spend their weekly theater money on the family fare films. And the next week on July 1st comes "War of the Worlds" and the zombie film "Undead". The weeks after this are loaded with big title releases.
I just hope that "Land of the Dead" is not swallowed up and lost in the summer shuffle.
As much as I can't wait to see it, I wish the October date would have stuck.
Old 04-16-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 133 Posts
Anybody know if there are more pics available anywhere? I'm just getting a little excited before the trailer
Old 04-16-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
They have to. Romero is not an R-rated filmmaker. He specifically shot so he could release an unrated DVD. Expect lots of gore on the DVD.
Yeah, this will definately be a film that gets a special DVD release, as has been stated. How could he possibly make a film that is near the gore levels of the last two films and get a R rating...he couldn't. This is a good alternative though.

As for the date change, I'm happy about it. Universal must have some confidence in the film to release it then. It could play well as counterprogramming. This date mimics the release of 28 Days Later and could be trying to emulate the success that film had. If this makes 50 million it'll be considered a hit, so it's not like they're trying to reach the numbers of the big tentpoles flicks.

Can't wait.
Old 04-17-05, 11:03 AM
Banned

WOw ..I hope so an Carpenter back to his true roots as a class horror director(music)dum....dum.dum...dum........dum.dum.dum...an so on ...the music score in his films have you at the knife edge not the film ,lol

28 Days Later ....

I really recommend this film ...(with the wonderful Chris Eccleston /Dr Who )I hear they are doing a Yank big budget next film , "28 weeks later" set in U$
Old 04-17-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by charley-farley
WOw ..I hope so an Carpenter back to his true roots as a class horror director(music)dum....dum.dum...dum........dum.dum.dum...an so on ...the music score in his films have you at the knife edge not the film ,lol
Ummm... yeah.

Old 04-17-05, 03:44 PM
Banned

bboisvert

can't understand your post ..lol

imagine a REALLY GREAT zombie film with that carpenter score

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.