Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are the majority of people in Zion.....

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black or Latino? Not trying to start anything that deals with race, I don't mind it, I'm just curious. I thought there would be a healthy mix of all types of people but hardly saw any white people or Asians. I saw the rave scene again and noticed a lot of Latina's grinding it up. Anyone else notice this?
Old 05-28-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps they were all preparing for the impending war instead of dancing like idiots.. wonder what the great W brothers are trying to say, hmm..?
Old 05-28-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Perhaps they were all preparing for the impending war instead of dancing like idiots.. wonder what the great W brothers are trying to say, hmm..?
Ha....you know you could take the footage of the rave scene and it would make a pretty good Smirnoff Ice commercial. Well, minus the nippleage.
Old 05-28-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
Ha....you know you could take the footage of the rave scene and it would make a pretty good Smirnoff Ice commercial. Well, minus the nippleage.
Or a commercial for any generic MTV product/show.

MTV's The Real World Zion!!
Old 05-28-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Re: Why are the majority of people in Zion.....

Originally posted by Mopower
Black or Latino? Not trying to start anything that deals with race, I don't mind it, I'm just curious. I thought there would be a healthy mix of all types of people but hardly saw any white people or Asians. I saw the rave scene again and noticed a lot of Latina's grinding it up. Anyone else notice this?
BLacks and Hispanics just don't take to the programing of the matrix.
Old 05-28-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Once you go black, you never go back...into the Matrix!
Old 05-28-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hypothesis I've heard is that it's a lot easier to accept the Matrix when you're not living a low-socioeconomic lifestyle.
Old 05-28-03, 11:48 AM

Three Theories

1. Maybe it has to do with the last "The One." Maybe the last One was from Miami or something, and he had lots of different friends from different backgrounds. Then, when its time to rebuild Zion, he goes to pick his 23 people, so he picks the kind of people he was either friends with, or simply people he could relate to.

2. Maybe it was the opposite of #1. Maybe the last One was some sort of white supremacist who HATED life in the "real" world, so he decided to send a bunch of "spics and niggas" (in his words, not mine) to a world that he considered hellish.

3. Maybe the W. Bros were trying to show that in the future, there will be more interracial relationships, essentially destroying pure white and pure black races. If you notice, many of the "blacks" were anything but black, they looked like they had some black and some white in them.

Just silly theories, but its fun to speculate.
Old 05-28-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh.. that makes sense. Would you want to wake up if you were rolling in bling?
Old 05-28-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whites make up only a tiny percentage of the world population—Zion reflects the world, not the United States. Also, dark skin is a dominate trait; overtime inter-racial breeding will produce darker skinned offspring.
Old 05-28-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because it looks cooler. It's the Wachowski's aesthetic in general.
Old 05-28-03, 01:40 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
audrey, i agree with you. while african americans and latinos may be minorities in the US, world populations may be somewhat equal. Zion looks strange to us because there seem to be an equal number of whites/blacks/latinos/asians. we are simply not used to this, thus it looks like there are A LOT of blacks/latinos.
Old 05-28-03, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Moldy Potato
2. Maybe it was the opposite of #1. Maybe the last One was some sort of white supremacist who HATED life in the "real" world, so he decided to send a bunch of "spics and niggas" (in his words, not mine) to a world that he considered hellish.
also, it's nice of you to try to hide your blatant racism behind "his words, not mine."
Old 05-28-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by audrey
Whites make up only a tiny percentage of the world population—Zion reflects the world, not the United States. Also, dark skin is a dominate trait; overtime inter-racial breeding will produce darker skinned offspring.
So do blacks and latinos. (if those words are appropriate in the first place)

Half the world's population can be found in 2 countries, China and India. Not white, but not dark, either.

On the movie:
Maybe they just got all the extras from LA and that's who showed up.
Old 05-28-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by audrey
I disagree - it is completely unknown how long it has been since "man scorched the sky" as Morpheus explains to Neo in the 1st film.

The depth of color and skin pigmentation are also partly based on sun exposure. In theory these people, regardless of race have had no sun exposure for generations. Shouldn't they all look more like each other that standing out as much like black, white, asian, hispanic, etc?
Old 05-28-03, 04:45 PM
Cool New Member

Gee, I don't know...I always think that everytime I see "Friends", only backwards: WHERE ARE all the Latinos and blacks? Now that I think about it, how come all the roman soldiers speak English in "Gladiator"? How can you make a movie set in Africa (Disney's Tarzan) without showing black people? How come we still can't show an Asian person in a mainstream movie kissing someone outside their "race" (Romeo Must Die). I guess each of us notices different things according to our own background, eh?

Old 05-28-03, 04:47 PM

3 observations:

1) Almost no whites in the Rave scene because everyone knows they can't dance anyway.

2) How come the Matrix world has mostly white people and Zion has mostly ethnics.

3) Could NEO be short for Neo-Nazi? If so the ethnics won't be happy about that.
Old 05-28-03, 05:30 PM

To make up for us getting shafted in Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Somebody owed us payback!

People don't take this thread personally. The one thing that makes us "Human" is humor.

Had Zion been all White the "Rave" would have become a Moshpit...hence destroying Zion without the Machines raising a finger ...teehee

Last edited by hmurchison; 05-28-03 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 05:35 PM

Dude, learn to spell. Or at least proof read your post.
Old 05-28-03, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Jamers
Dude, learn to spell. Or at least proof read your post.

Sorry Jamers. I'm a poor typist
Old 05-28-03, 05:43 PM

No problem. Due to my extremely high intelligence, I knew what you meant. :-)
Old 05-28-03, 08:08 PM
Cool New Member

To make up for us getting shafted in Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Somebody owed us payback!
Well, the guy responsible for that is dead: J.R.R Tolkein. To add blacks and hispanics to that movie would have changed the story he wrote. You did not get "Shafted", the story was filmed as close to the original books as possible.

But my idea about the "rave" scene is this: When they were hiring extras, everytime a white dude or chick entered the room they were told to "dance like this", and they said "No way!!!! I thought Zion was a cave, not a jungle!!!"
Old 05-29-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Brucifer
they were told to "dance like this", and they said "No way!!!! I thought Zion was a cave, not a jungle!!!"
Excuse you? A jungle? Ok, I see this thread is going downhill fast.
Old 05-29-03, 11:42 AM

i agree iggy, i am amazed at the stuff being posted on this thread. trying to hide their racism behind "i'm just joking"
Old 05-29-03, 11:58 AM

as if there aren't enough different races in LOTR.........it's about all races(elves,men,dwarfs,hobbits,ents........etc) coming together to defeat evil. if you think that's racist you're a moron

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.