Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is coming

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Director has been chosen

Do we have any fans here? I read a few of the books growing up but the whole series. I'd love to see what they could do with today's technology. The success of Harry Potter and LotR almost guaranteed a remake of this wonderful series.

The question is. How many movies and how much money would be alloted to do this right?

From Upcomingmovies.com

WETA Digital may be the effects company(good)

Last edited by hmurchison; 05-25-03 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm..... "Shrek" Director Andrew Adamson To Helm "The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe"
Old 05-25-03, 07:48 PM

Yeah that's promising having A.A at the Helm.

Given that they want a mid 2004 release they will need to finish the Casting soon.
Old 05-25-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, it's been a long time since I read these books on Narnia. But I think they would be very interesting as movies. Could be a decent franchise, though I wonder if they can do all 7?

Give me my sock back you goat bastard!
Old 05-25-03, 07:55 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Adamson? What's he done other than Shrek? Anything live-action? He seems like an odd choice to direct the launch of a franchise.
Old 05-25-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Animation directors who move on to Live Action generally produce sub-par work (the live-action 101 Dalmation and Stuart Little movies come to mind.)

As always, I will reserve judgement until I see the final product. But beware! If they try to leech out the Christian allegory and mythology from the Narnia series -- and it's one of the most enjoyable series ever written, regardless of your religion -- then I will personally storm the battlements and split their nostrils with a boat-hook.

And Susan got screwed.
Old 05-25-03, 09:38 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
According to the upcomingmovies.com link, John Boorman was considered to direct. That would've been something to get excited about. I wonder why he dropped out.
Old 05-25-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the recent release of the full series in an audio drama format, I was hoping that they would update this series for theaters today. Now, if we could get the original animated version on DVD, I would be a happy, happy guy. It's one of my earliest memories of one of the first movies that really had an impact on me.
Old 05-25-03, 11:23 PM

how was the animated series?

i am anxiously waiting for this series to come to the big screen. the harry potter books are entertaining but I have no interest in the movies. A narnia franchise would very much fill my need for intelligent children's fantasy. If these films are done right.... I envy the kids. They're in for a very special experience. Hopefully.
Old 05-25-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm hoping the movie version will stay faithful to the books, not just in action, but in spirit. That means if Chris Rock is hired to do the voice of Aslan, I will cry.

Honk!
Old 05-26-03, 03:04 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
I could have sworn I saw a live action series/set of movies on PBS years ago when I was a wee lad (80's?).

Read all the books.

Gonna have to see what WETA can do with it.

--HN
Old 05-26-03, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by HN
I could have sworn I saw a live action series/set of movies on PBS years ago when I was a wee lad (80's?).

--HN
Yep. The BBC did live action tv versions of all three books in the late 80's. Weren't bad, but the SFX were about what you'd expect from that era.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0094500
Old 05-26-03, 10:52 PM
Banned

CGI would be a great way to do these, though I agree if they erase the Christian theology from them, dont' even bother.

There was a nice animated version of the first book from the late 70's early 80's, it was very good.

the live action was poor.
Old 05-26-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i remember reading the books as a kid and loving them but i cant remember what they were about.
Old 05-27-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That seems like a poor choice to me. If WB has the sense to hire someone like Alfonso Cuaron to do the next Harry Potter, why can't this studio get someone of his caliber!? Shrek was crap. The script adaptation will hopefully fare better.
Old 05-27-03, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by atari2600
i remember reading the books as a kid and loving them but i cant remember what they were about.
Hehehehe me too. I know I liked it but I just can't remember. Gotta clear out the cobwebs in my brain. All I know is the mere mention of tLtWtW makes me crave Turkish Delight LOL
Old 05-27-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, if there are plans to do all 7 books (I read these books when I was a kid too).....I wish they would consider doing them in chronological order and not the order that the books were written. I see that box sets of the books you can buy now are numbered in chronological order as was not the case with the books I had when I was a kid (I read them in the chronological order anyway).

If they were making the films in chronological order, they should be starting with The Magician's Nephew which was the sixth book written of the seven books. Also, The Horse and His Boy which was written fifth, takes place chronologically after The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, so is the third book chronologically.

I guess they are starting with The Lion since it is probably the most popular book of the 7.....but if this project works out and they plan on making them all....I just wonder which one will they make next.....and will they just leave Magician's nephew out all together? I mean it is a bit confusing to be doing prequels in a children's film franchise.

FYI...the chronological order of the books, and the years they were published/written:

1. The Magician's Nephew (1955)
2. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (1950)
3. The Horse and His Boy (1954)
4. Prince Caspian (1951)
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
6. The Silver Chair (1953)
7. The Last Battle (1956)
Old 05-27-03, 09:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
Well, if there are plans to do all 7 books (I read these books when I was a kid too).....I wish they would consider doing them in chronological order and not the order that the books were written.
I disagree. The books were meant to be read in the order they were written, so they should film the movies in the same order. Having The Magician's Nephew come first complete destroys the wonder and discovery of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, IMHO.
Old 05-27-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Panda Phil
Yep. The BBC did live action tv versions of all three books in the late 80's. Weren't bad, but the SFX were about what you'd expect from that era.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0094500
well, they did 4 of the books (in 3 films).....not "all three" since there are seven books total.

I have never seen the BBC adaptations but have always been really really curious about it. The dvds were a bit pricey so I have always held off on them.....how is the acting and the adaptation?? I don't care too much about the FX as long as Aslan doesn't look like a talking puppet and the story remains faithful to the books........

Last edited by garmonbozia; 05-27-03 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-27-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I disagree. The books were meant to be read in the order they were written, so they should film the movies in the same order. Having The Magician's Nephew come first complete destroys the wonder and discovery of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, IMHO.
Yes, I can see your point of view. When I read the books I had read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe first in school......and then I bought the set and read them in chronological order on my own. The problem with a film franchise is what do you do with The Magician's Nephew then? I see it just being ignored.

Do you think having The Horse and His Boy come after Lion to be problematic? I think it makes absolutely no sense to read it in the order it was written.....IIRC, and it has been almost 15 years since I have read the books......The Horse and His Boy goes back and deals with characters that have been out of the storyline in previous books, so it is grossly out of place chronologically. Can't see any benefit in reading that one in the order written.....

Yet even the BBC tv prodcution did the first three books written and disregarded A Horse and His Boy...
they just did TLtWatW, Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the DT (combined in one film), and The Silver Chair.

Also, according to the review on bn.com, C.S. Lewis himself thought they should be read in chronological order, which probably explains why they are sold in that order now....

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...66238501&itm=1

When The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe appeared on the literary scene in 1950, it helped to define the genre of fantasy for children and adolescents and opened the door for authors like J. K. Rowling (the "Harry Potter" series), Gail Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted and The Princess Tales), and Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials Trilogy). The books that followed all took up either the adventures of the five main characters from the first book—Peter, Susan, Edward and Lucy, who became the Kings and Queens of Narnia and the mysterious lion, Aslan, everlasting ruler of all Narnia—or followed events occurring in the "otherworld" of Narnia itself. This current compilation arranges the seven books of Narnia in the order C. S. Lewis thought they should be read. Thus, in The Magician's Nephew (1955), we learn of the origins of Narnia. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (1950), The Horse and His Boy (1954), Prince Caspian (1951), The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952), and The Silver Chair (1953) provide further adventures for the main characters and their friends. The final book, The Last Battle (1956), chronicles the end of Narnia. The adventures themselves are compelling for younger readers, and those who come to Narnia as older "participants" may find themselves analyzing the Christian allegory that Lewis infused throughout the texts. However, in light of concerns about gender or ethnic representations, some readers may have concerns about the stereotypical manner in which a number of characters are constructed. And those students who have found fantasy because of Harry Potter may find The Chronicles of Narnia, at a surface level, less compelling. But Narnia still invites readersof all ages to its shores, and trip is well worth the time.

Last edited by garmonbozia; 05-27-03 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-27-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually remember enjoying the one shown on PBS quite a bit when i was little. I still have the books i bought from elementary school, although i'm missing 2 of the 7
Old 05-27-03, 10:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
man, the old animated version used to scare the crap out of me when i was younger...

Spoiler:
when the witch (or whatever she was, it's been a while) was chasing them in the snow... also, i felt so bad for the lion...
Old 05-27-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't know there ever was an animated version made....

I found 2 different listings on IMDB.....which one are people talking about?

This animated series from 1967? http://us.imdb.com/Title?0224907

Or this animated tv film from 1979? http://us.imdb.com/Title?0079474
Old 05-27-03, 01:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
i'm talking about the tv movie, not the series. That's as far as my knowledge of narni goes. I never read the books.

but i did laugh like crazy when south park did an Aslan spoof.
Old 05-27-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
The BBC productions are relatively faithful adaptations, but not the highest budgeted productions ever done.

I had some problems with the cast, though. They got the singular most hideous young actress to portray Lucy. The total age difference between Peter and Edmund looked to be roughtly about 3 or 4 minutes. The actress who portrayed Jadis/The White Witch hammed it up so much the BBC received complaints from the UJA. And Aslan was a big stuffed animal.

Still, enjoyable in a nicely nostalgic sort of way.

As far as feature films, I say go the CG animated route. I salivate at the thought of watching the creation of Narnia out of the darkness or the Woods between the Worlds from The Magician's Nephew.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.