Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

reproduction in the matrix?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 04:25 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mind wasn't in the gutter when I thought of this, but I was wondering how people reproduce when strapped down to machines. Since The Matrix is a simulated program, people aren't actually having babies (they only think they are), so when they do end up having a kid in the simulated world, where does he/she come from? He / she is obviously an offspring of the two parents in the simulation, but how about in the real world? He has to exist in the real world as well, strapped to a machine, so where did he come from?
Old 05-21-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My thoughts on this are that the human breings GROWN in the fields have no minds, and are assigned a mind inside of the matrix everytime a new human is born.
Old 05-21-03, 04:41 PM

it's possible that when the growing process begins in the fields each baby is assigned a place to go, like a folder somewhere in the matrix. once they are ready, they are put in a pod and "born in the matrix" pregnancy could be the time it takes the baby to get ready for it's pod. this would also give the human mind time to adjust to the idea of a child.

it might freak a few people out if they all of a sudden have a kid
Old 05-21-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I thought of this too
my idea is that when 2 people in the matrix have a kid dna samples are taken from each to make the kid in the real world
Old 05-21-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love in the matrix is already pre-determind. the pod next to you would be the person you would be shacking up with and the fluids are distributed to create life.
Old 05-21-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my idea is that when 2 people in the matrix have a kid dna samples are taken from each to make the kid in the real world
Good theory. It makes sense... this they wouldn't have to bother with genetic manipulation and/or mutations - and it would explain why people still resemble their relatives!
Old 05-21-03, 08:06 PM

My shot on this is that the machines are inserting the exact amount of people needed into the matrix to allow for a birth to correctly take place (They have 9 friggin' months to plan out which batches (crops) will be assigned to whichever set of individuals) so when a baby is "born" into the matrix they simply connect an appropriate child into the matrix.

The only problem that poses is that once you are freed from the matrix you may not look like what you looked like in the matrix, so RSI (Residiual Self-Image) will own you!

In the matrix you may be a huge blonde body builder but in reality you may be a skinny brown haired 135lb twirp!!

but that can work for you too...

You could be a Fat-ass No-Haired slob in the matrix, you come out a skinny brown-haired 135lb twirp!!
Old 05-21-03, 08:38 PM

So I take it that Gay and Lesbian couples would not be allowed to exist in the Matrix. Hey, I want in. Just kidding.
Old 05-21-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only problem that poses is that once you are freed from the matrix you may not look like what you looked like in the matrix, so RSI (Residiual Self-Image) will own you!
But we already know this isn't true. Right? Neo came out looking exactly the same.
Old 05-21-03, 11:33 PM

I agree the whole poing of the RSI is that you look the same in the matrix as you do in the real world. Minus the plugs ofcourse.
Old 05-22-03, 01:44 AM

but how could you if you were created in a field of others, and not actually by your birth parents...
Old 05-22-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought about this, too. Then stopped, because I really don't think there is an adequate explanation. It's just one of those things I take with a grain of salt.
Old 05-22-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why would babies have to be "real?" They could just as easily be a simulation/program and the parents would never be the wiser.
Old 05-22-03, 03:14 PM

I think corvin actually hit it on the dot...

You are not supposed to be thinking this hard about this movie as you will discover many plot holes...