Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know what this means? [SPOILERS]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the "source" that the Oracle and the Architect were talking about? Do all programs who enter the source become assimilated into it? If so, what does that mean?
Old 05-20-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the source refers to the main frame or the main computer the Matrix is programmed on.
Old 05-20-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the source refers to the main frame
But Neo did visit the mainframe at the end. Right? He had to pass through a door to get to the "source"....
Old 05-20-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was in the Building the represented were the mainframe was housed in the Matrix. The KeyMaker opened the door to the mainframe and then he went into the door that was the source. So I guess the Source is the Arcitect.
Old 05-20-03, 10:12 PM

Neo never makes it to the source. It's the door to his right in the Architect's room. Neo chooses the door on the left, which leads back to the Matrix and Trinity. The source was his other option.

And yes, it is the machine mainframe. That's one of the things the Oracle acknowledged directly.

But the source was also supposed to be his destiny as The One.

"The function of the One is now to return to the source, allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you carry, reinserting the prime program." -The Architect

But Neo is given a choice and he chooses to save Trinity. And return to the Matrix. The problem is, the Architect told him that failure to return to the source would cause a system crash and kill everyone conected to the Matrix.

Sooo...... What happens next? I don't know.... my mind hurts from thinking about it.
Old 05-20-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pixel8or
Neo never makes it to the source. It's the door to his right in the Architect's room. Neo chooses the door on the left, which leads back to the Matrix and Trinity. The source was his other option.

And yes, it is the machine mainframe. That's one of the things the Oracle acknowledged directly.

But the source was also supposed to be his destiny as The One.

"The function of the One is now to return to the source, allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you carry, reinserting the prime program." -The Architect

But Neo is given a choice and he chooses to save Trinity. And return to the Matrix. The problem is, the Architect told him that failure to return to the source would cause a system crash and kill everyone conected to the Matrix.

Sooo...... What happens next? I don't know.... my mind hurts from thinking about it.
I knew the source was around there somewhere. I guess seeing the movie 3 times didn't help me!
Old 05-20-03, 10:58 PM
Cool New Member

The Source refers to the "Source Code" of the matrix...ala "Open Source" like Linux etc.
Old 05-21-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as computers are concerned, "the source" refers to the source code, which is basically the blueprint for all the coding. Returning to the source would either mean reverting back to the original saved version, or assimilating his mutations into the source so that the problems that spawned them could be programmed out.
Old 05-22-03, 08:17 AM
Cool New Member

I don't think the source referred to the either one of the doors, but to being with the architect in that room, a virtual representation of the source. the screens behind them represented the endless potential combinations, possible outcomes that emanate from the source. Being the source, the room had options represensted by the doors. Neither one of the doors lead to the source. The room was the source.
Old 05-23-03, 06:19 PM

I don't think the source referred to the either one of the doors, but to being with the architect in that room, a virtual representation of the source. the screens behind them represented the endless potential combinations, possible outcomes that emanate from the source. Being the source, the room had options represensted by the doors. Neither one of the doors lead to the source. The room was the source.
"There are two doors, the door to your right leads to the source and the salvation of Zion...." - The Architect