Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

All These Comparisons To Ep I are Complete Bosh

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason why people were disappointed w/ Ep I was because it was Lucas still in his 'pandering to seven year olds in the audience' mode.
the action and the effects were fine, it was just need to insert fart jokes and sub-tween friendly creatures that made it insufferable when all was said and done.

TMR is nothing like this.
the people amped up for this , by and large, are action movie drones.
They'll quaff down just about anything bright & shiny as long as its visceral and LOVE it.
and the one thing TMR is, is VISCERAL.

you guys are gonna go ape$&%t over a bunch of the sequences here.
and when its done your gonna wish you had bought tickets to the next showing.

trust me.
if you like Michael Bay movies, you'll LOVE TMR. it is the ULTIMATE 'pause your rationale reasoning and just enjoy' popcorn flick in many a moon...IF EVER!

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-13-03 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-13-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Another reason why Ep1 failed was because of the hype monster that lead to it. I was starting to worry about Reloaded when every product around tries to use the matrix in selling it's products. Also, after the first trilogy, the fans wouldn't have been happy even if jesus walked out of the screen. it was way to long from the original trilogy to the new trilogy that everyone had soo much high hopes and such expectations that no one could fill them. either way... I cant wait till wednesday.
Old 05-13-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosh
Subtween
Quaff

Wow, I just learned three new words.

But more on topic, I'm curious about your Michael Bay comment. I just can't believe that a comparison between The Matrix Reloaded and Michael Bay's movies can be reasonable. Either you didn't like the Reloaded as much as you seemed to, or I just hate Michael Bay much more than you do. Granted, I haven't seen Reloaded yet, but I sure as hell hope it's better than Bay's crapfests.
Old 05-13-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i hear a lot of people on these boards saying they have no problem with Bays movies because they take them for exactly what they are 'dumb popcorn movies'.
if all you need is a framework to provide action set-pieces (and wicked as all hell action set pieces) at regular, predictable intervals-
then TMR will give you that, plus a small side of intellec'chul stimulation.

if you are the kind of person craving a stimulating, thought provoking narrative with action that grows organically out of the story...well, just pull out your dvd of the first movie.

in other words, take the Bay comment as a backhanded compliment.
FWIW, the action here is much more impressive than anything ever seen in one of his cra...er...films

an the point of the thread is just to say, that if people are disappointed in the movie (and i really don't think the majority will be), it won't be a disappointment in the way EP 1 was.
i don't think the W bros. are alienating one audience by pandering to another, in other words.

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-13-03 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-13-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ckolchak

if you are the kind of person craving a stimulating, thought provoking narrative with action that grows organically out of the story...well, just pull out your dvd of the first movie.

in .
I am dying to see Reloaded...but I think people's disappointment with Star Wars Episode 1 was that it didn't capture the spirit of the originals...it changed the formula a bit (dumbing it down) and the audience didn't like that... they wanted something as magical as the first trilogy...

which is why, based on reviews I've read, I think the EP1 to Matrix Reloaded comparison will hold up.... The reason the first Matrix was such a cult hit was because of the mix of Action and Intelligence... it was not only the eye candy, but the ideas the movie posed. People finally had an action movie that had thoughts in it's head... the mix of intellect and action was pretty magical, coming together beautifully... and from what I've heard of Reloaded...this doesn't happen again...which means it doesn't have the same spirit of the first one... ie. EP1 syndrome...

If we wanted The Matrix to be just another Michael Bay type movie, then I'd have no problem with your observation...I love dumb popcorn flicks...but the Matrix was more than that, so the fact that now it may be nothing more than a dumb popcorn flick is extremely disappointing..

I'm still hoping I'll love the HELL out of Reloaded...but my expectations have been significantly lowered...

MATT
Old 05-13-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew it..

Still expecting a lot of fun though.
Old 05-13-03, 12:41 PM
Banned

trust me.
if you like Michael Bay movies, you'll LOVE TMR. it is the ULTIMATE 'pause your rationale reasoning and just enjoy' popcorn flick in many a moon...IF EVER

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great, it sucks.
Old 05-13-03, 12:41 PM

I think too many people are expecting the movie to completely recapture the mystery and intrigue of the first. This is, of course, impossible because the mystery surrounding the matrix has been uncovered. A major part of the appeal of the first one was the feeling of "what the hell is going on here?". I just don't see why anyone would expect the same from Reloaded. Instead, people need to go into the movie realizing that it is a continuation of the story. Part 1 set up the rules of the matrix, part 2 will explore them. Just as the last act of part 1 was pure action, Reloaded will continue in a similar manner. When I first heard about an upcoming sequel to The Matrix, the first thought on my mind was "awesome, now we can really see the kick ass **** that these guys can do in the matrix." In other words, I feel that a more action-oriented sequel is 100% appropriate considering what has already been explained in the first movie. We know what we need to know, now let's see these guys go to work. I can't wait.
Old 05-13-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by caiman
I think too many people are expecting the movie to completely recapture the mystery and intrigue of the first. This is, of course, impossible because the mystery surrounding the matrix has been uncovered. A major part of the appeal of the first one was the feeling of "what the hell is going on here?". I just don't see why anyone would expect the same from Reloaded. Instead, people need to go into the movie realizing that it is a continuation of the story. Part 1 set up the rules of the matrix, part 2 will explore them. Just as the last act of part 1 was pure action, Reloaded will continue in a similar manner. When I first heard about an upcoming sequel to The Matrix, the first thought on my mind was "awesome, now we can really see the kick ass **** that these guys can do in the matrix." In other words, I feel that a more action-oriented sequel is 100% appropriate considering what has already been explained in the first movie. We know what we need to know, now let's see these guys go to work. I can't wait.
i agree somewhat. however, part of the chram of the first one for me was the story as well. what i want out of the second one (in addition to the kick ass action that i believe the first one led up to), is an explination of zion, some background of the new characters and their importance to the overall story of neo's quest to free the humans, etc... i think it will deliver... i'm prety stocked for the new installment.
Old 05-13-03, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by huh?
i agree somewhat. however, part of the chram of the first one for me was the story as well. what i want out of the second one (in addition to the kick ass action that i believe the first one led up to), is an explination of zion, some background of the new characters and their importance to the overall story of neo's quest to free the humans, etc... i think it will deliver... i'm prety stocked for the new installment.
Yeah I agree with all this. I wasn't meaning to imply that I expect no story. Just that it will be the action that is the central focus this time more than the story. Yeah, I definately want to learn more about the workings of the matrix, more about the characters (the new ones and the returning ones), and of course more about Zion. If the movie was pure action and no plot whatsoever, we would be back to the Michael Bay comparison, but I really don't think this will be the case.
Old 05-13-03, 01:26 PM
Suspended

What about all the reviews that say the Zion scenes are tedious and laughably bad at times? If they didn't make them great, what was the point?
Old 05-13-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TMR is nothing like this.
Well, I've read many of the reviews, and even the positive reviews are mostly mixed. But they all point to the same things. The Zion stuff if bad. Some of the acting is pretty bland and stiff ina lot of places. I saw the clip of Morpheus' speech in Zion, and it was cheesy as hell, and his delivery was stiff. The action while cool, is often repetitive. The long philisophical ramblings are a convoluted mess. Also, many of the reviews seem to be in agreement that the first hour is so boring and drags to a halt, that you could walk into the film an hour in and you'd miss nothing.

We'll see if they're right. I normally don't give credit to Harry Knowles and his reviews, but Quint backed him up in his reviews as well. If half of what he says is true, then I have a feeling I'm not going to be pleased.

But I'll be there on Friday, and I'm going in with an open mind. But I don't like what I'm hearing.

What about all the reviews that say the Zion scenes are tedious and laughably bad at times? If they didn't make them great, what was the point?
I've read the same thing in at least 7 reviews. Heck, iv'e read that in the burly brawl that:

Spoiler:
Neo just flys away and leaves the Agent Smiths just standing there. The whole scene was pointless and did nothing for any of the characters

If that's the case, why didn't he just do that in the first place. I hope they're wrong about this film. I rarely let reviews tempt me on a film, but I've never been a huge Matrix fan. I'm going regardless.

Oh well........

Last edited by Terrell; 05-13-03 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-13-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I like Michael Bay movies as long as he doesn't try to do anything that should be treated seriously in popcorn style, like Pearl Harbor.

That said, I am really lowering my expectations for TMR in the thought provoking department.
Old 05-13-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i apologize for not being clearer.

i wasn't equating TMR with a Bay flick because i thought TMR was 'brain-dead'.
i was equating the two because after i watch a Bay film, if i try to think about the 'story' it actually hurts my head-
and at some point, or several points,
an involuntary groan will escape.
you'll see after tomorrow.

just revel in the action and eye-candy- when all is said and done, you will look back fondly on that part of it

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-13-03 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-13-03, 03:53 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mdc3000
I am dying to see Reloaded...but I think people's disappointment with Star Wars Episode 1 was that it didn't capture the spirit of the originals...it changed the formula a bit (dumbing it down) and the audience didn't like that... they wanted something as magical as the first trilogy...

which is why, based on reviews I've read, I think the EP1 to Matrix Reloaded comparison will hold up.... The reason the first Matrix was such a cult hit was because of the mix of Action and Intelligence... it was not only the eye candy, but the ideas the movie posed. People finally had an action movie that had thoughts in it's head... the mix of intellect and action was pretty magical, coming together beautifully... and from what I've heard of Reloaded...this doesn't happen again...which means it doesn't have the same spirit of the first one... ie. EP1 syndrome...

If we wanted The Matrix to be just another Michael Bay type movie, then I'd have no problem with your observation...I love dumb popcorn flicks...but the Matrix was more than that, so the fact that now it may be nothing more than a dumb popcorn flick is extremely disappointing..

I'm still hoping I'll love the HELL out of Reloaded...but my expectations have been significantly lowered...

MATT
Unfortunately, I feel the same way.
Old 05-13-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
It still amazes me people say that Episode 1 failed. It is the third highest grossing picture ever made.
Old 05-13-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BigDaddy
It still amazes me people say that Episode 1 failed. It is the third highest grossing picture ever made.
*Insert obligatory "B.O. numbers do not make a good/successful movie" post* here.
Old 05-13-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Episode I didn't fail financially, and neither did II, for that matter. It was on other levels, like story and depth, that they failed.
Old 05-13-03, 11:37 PM

I'm planning on eating lots of brownies before I go. Hopefully, that will make whatever memories I have of the premiere showing good memories. Or fragments of memories.
Old 05-14-03, 01:25 AM
Registered

I can understand why people would like Matrix Reloaded with EP I. Both films have to live up to gargantuan expectations, arguably niether film could possiably live up to the expectations.

This being said (and I've only seen Matrix Reloaded once) I'd imagine people who are disapointed that Reloaded is not the film to end all films, who may also have been disapointed at EP 1 might enjoy the film more a second time around knowing that it is what it is.
Old 05-14-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: All These Comparisons To Ep I are Complete Bosh

trust me. if you like Michael Bay movies, you'll LOVE TMR.
So, Michael Bay is the standard to which audiences will like or dislike TMR?

I really hope it's not THAT bad...
Old 05-14-03, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i expalined above in what fashion i was invoking the name of Bay.
when the fan (boys) tear themselves away from their PS2s to run back and see this, i don't think they will be going (back a second time) to hear the turgid dialectics, or banal zen bon-mots, or bask in the sci-fi channel asthetic of Zion.
like a Bay film, regardless of the film-makers higher minded pretensions, the only reason your a$$ will stay in the seat is for the visercal, mindless thrill of the wow.

i just don't see people being inspired to fetishize the free will/choice discourse of this film, the way they did the nature of reality from the first.

but hell, what do i know.

Ebert just gave it a glowing review.
So you kids can rest a little easier.
According to him, The Matrix Reloaded and Daredevil are the best genre films released so far this year.

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-14-03 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-14-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ebert just gave it a glowing review.
So you kids can rest a little easier.
According to him, The Matrix Reloaded and Daredevil are the best genre films released so far this year.

I thought Daredevil was crap for the most part.
Old 05-14-03, 11:04 PM

As did I. I have noticed a lot of negative reviews and mixed reviews on what was suppose to be a sure-fire great sequel. Personally, I thought the trailer was more than impressive - but now I hear about CG issues and a brain-dead story and it is somewhat worrisome...With that said, I'll have to wait until Sunday or Monday to finally get to see Reloaded.
Old 05-15-03, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, after seeing the movie. I think the comparisons have a point somewhat especially re:

- the hype behind it
- CGI overload

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.