Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Albert Brooks in a New Comedy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Give a mild-mannered podiatrist (Albert Brooks) a chance?
Yeah, why not?
58.62%
No...
34.48%
Who is Albert Brooks?
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-03, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delayed reaction... but I just saw the In-Laws preview for the nth time. It just now hit me that I haven't seen Albert Brooks in anything that's up to par in a number of years... Anyone going to see this? I know it's a remake of an already classic comedy, but with this cast in place of Alan Arkin and Peter Falk, is there a chance that it might be just as hilarious? They have some amusing soundbytes for various sections at the official In-Laws site.

(I'm also curious how many Albert Brooks fans there are here at DVDtalk.)
Old 05-08-03, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
I love the guy, but many of his more recent writer/director/star efforts have fallen pretty flat with me. Mother for example was nothing more than a one-joke movie in search of another joke. The Muse just fell flat with me as well.

I have enjoyed some of his earlier one-man-band works such as Lost in America and the flawed-but-enjoyable defending Your Life. He was also the best element in the delightful Broadcast News.

I have not yet seen The First Mister, which was the feature directorial effort of the wonderful actress Christine Lahti. I don't think it has made it to DVD yet.

Brooks also does a voice for Finding Nemo, if I am not mistaken.
Old 05-08-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not real happy that they decided to do a remake of The In-Laws...but I am an Albert Brooks fan. One think I can't figure out though is why the chose to have Albert Brooks as the dentist, straight-man and Michael Douglas as the crazy CIA agent. It seems like it would have worked much better if they had reversed the rolls.

I'll probably catch this one for free when it comes to cable.
Old 05-08-03, 10:34 AM

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
I've always been a fan of Brooks even though he's hit or miss. I really enjoyed Mother and Real Life.

Trivia: did you know that Albert Brooks real name is Albert Einstein? Also, did you know that his brother is "Super Dave" Osbourne?
Old 05-08-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Also, did you know that his brother is "Super Dave" Osbourne?
Wow, now this I did not know! I've been a big fan of Albert Brooks and "Super Dave" since about the mid-80's. Can't believe I never knew this.
Old 05-08-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I've always been a fan of Brooks even though he's hit or miss. I really enjoyed Mother and Real Life.

Trivia: did you know that Albert Brooks real name is Albert Einstein? Also, did you know that his brother is "Super Dave" Osbourne?
Yes I knew that.

I like Albert (Brooks) Einstein, particularly Defending Your Life and Lost in America but he has slipped lately. The Muse was pretty bad. The Scout is one of the worst movies I've ever seen but at least he only acted in that one.

Edit: I just looked it up and saw he co-wrote The Scout. It's hard to believe he could have even partly written something that bad.

Last edited by movielib; 05-08-03 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget his immortal role as nice-guy cum megalomaniac Brad Goodman in The Simpsons.
Old 05-08-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loved Lost In America.

THE NEST EGG. YOU LOST THE NEST EGG!

Last edited by chanster; 05-08-03 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-08-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 157 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
Don't forget his immortal role as nice-guy cum megalomaniac Brad Goodman in The Simpsons.
Brooks has done tons of voices on the Simpsons, Jaque the bowling instructor Marge almost has an affair with, the Winnebago salesman in the first season's camping episode and best of all, Hank Scorpio. He'll sting you with his dreams of power and wealth.

Yes German beer!
Old 05-08-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i like him, although the in-laws looks horrible IMHO. btw, i LOVED mother! it's one of my favs. because it is just like my mom and grandmother.
Old 05-08-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Looks like he did great work in Disney's Finding Nemo.
Old 05-08-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm actually going to vote Albert Brooks who? I know of him, including his voice work in the simpsons, but i really haven't seen him do anything so i'm not sure why he's somewhat famous
Old 05-08-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chanster
Loved Lost In America.

THE NEST EGG. YOU LOST THE NEST EGG!
The Desert Inn has heart, the Desert Inn has heart.

Don't Call me retardo!
Old 05-08-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Albert Brooks was da bomb in Out of Sight.
Old 05-08-03, 10:48 PM

Random

I found this quote earlier in the day:

"Wouldn't this be a great world if insecurity and desperation made us more attractive? If needy were a turn-on?"
- Aaron Altman (Albert Brooks), Broadcast News (1987)

I got to thinking... does anyone consider the humor of Albert Brooks to be somewhat of an "acquired taste"? I think his movies are smart and hysterical--his earlier ones anyway, but he still manages to do a great job with the bit parts.
Old 05-08-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
His movies are full of great quotes, though admittedly, many are only funny in context:

"It tastes like an orange foot." - Mother

"I've never really eaten grilled cheese until now." - Lost in America

"That's why I married her." - Lost in America

"Lunch." - Defending Your Life (perhaps the greatest single word punchline ever)

"Why didn't you tell me you were this gambling diseased person? It's like a venereal disease...you tell someone before you marry them."- Lost in America

But my favorite moment in an Albert Brooks' film isn't even quotable. Nothing beats the moment in "Modern Romance," where they are looking for a sound effect to lay over the scene of George Kennedy running down the corridor.

BTW, Albert played against his brother in the classic sporting goods store scene in "Modern Romance."
Old 05-09-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i recently caught a hilarious appearance of Brooks on SNL in the 70s that left me a tad winsome for his sharper days....he hasn't done much of anything decent in a long time, and this flick looks terrible.

And i had no idea that Super dave was his brother, which i find unbelievable - seeing as Dave is one of the most annoyingly unfunny humans on the planet. And i didn't know that Einstein was his real name either.....go figure.
Old 05-09-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another funny quote is in "The Muse"

In the scene when Albert Brooks enters the kitchen and he's been painting, so he's got paint on him and his wife (Andie McDowell) is baking cookies and she tells him "Don't touch the floor" and Brooks replies: " I'm not an astronaut, I have to touch something"

Old 05-09-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love albert brooks. I also love alan arkin in the original in-laws (just bought the dvd which further proves how much i love him in it)
If there has to be a remake, other than alan arkin returning, Brooks may do the remake some justice.
Old 05-09-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 335 Likes on 246 Posts
Defending Your Life never fails to crack me up. Now this new one.... I'm not too sure about.
Old 05-10-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have only seen "Mother", it's one of my favorite movies. It's hillarious from beginning to end.

"Stop, no more food, it's like Fantasia."
Old 05-10-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original In-Laws movie was hillarious. I wouldn't go see the remake if Albert Brooks wasn't in it. Since he is, I'll give it a chance - at the discount theater.
Old 05-10-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm actually pretty sick of his whining. I could tolerate him and actually used to like him, but now he just gets on my nerves. He's like the poor man's Woody Allen. This new movie looks like it's just him whining about everything throughout the whole thing. I just don't think I could tolerate that for 2 hours.
Old 05-10-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It's possible, but the preview looks really bad, and the original was really good.

This is a movie I think I'll wait for the reviews to decide.
Old 05-10-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's just not funny....ever!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.