Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody think the R rating could hurt Reloaded's sucess?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean, most if not every teenage male would probably have some kind of intrest in this movie. But how many parents would be up to taking their kids to it? Plus, lets say they sneak in, the money would go to the pg13 movie, not the Matrix so it could/should make more money then it turns out in the long run.
Old 05-03-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more than it did for the original Matrix. I'm glad they're being consistant.
Old 05-03-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

caiman is right.

Because of it's R rating, the audience will be (pun intended, I guess) more restricted.

I wouldn't use the word hurt, really. The R rating might hinter it's box office success.
Old 05-03-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, it will probably do at least as well as the original. And if you think anyone under 17 does not get into R rated movies you are mistaken. Kids get their parents/homeless people to buy tickets for them, or just get tickets sold to them (what happened to me when the first one came out). As for the concern that kids will sneak into the movie after buying tickets to other movies, this will most likely not happen in the first week of the movie. Ticket takers will probably be setup outside the Matrix theatre to avoid any jumping, this was the case when I went to see the Star Wars re-releases a couple of years ago.
Old 05-03-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Kids get their parents/homeless people to buy tickets for them, or just get tickets sold to them (what happened to me when the first one came out).
Heh. I just turned 17 last year. I did many things to get into the R-rated movies I really wanted to see, but never did I get a homeless person to buy me tickets.
Old 05-03-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The times may have changed, but I never had a problem getting tickets to R rated when I was as young as 12.
Old 05-03-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No. this movie is not geared for kids so why the hell should they cater to the younger crowd? this film was made for the audiance that it has, and trust me, it has a big audiance.
Old 05-03-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Maybe I'm just old (is 22 really that old?) but I never needed anyone to take me to an R-rated movie (unless the theatre that was showing a particular film was really far away). I just walked up to the counter bought mt ticket and saw the movie. No parent or other adult needed. No questions asked.

I really don't see how the rating will hurt the film's sales appart from limiting the slots available for TV spots and what film they can show the trailer just before.
Old 05-04-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, after Columbine, a lot of people got persnickity at the movie theatre industry and they now you have 16 year olds acting like Nazi's at the ticket counter. Just give me the ticket!!
Old 05-04-03, 11:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The movie would do better with a PG-13 rating, that's a fact. But it will still do great with an R, since a lot of people who discovered the first movie 4 years ago when they were 13 or 14 can now go see it all by themselves.
Old 05-04-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
The movie would do better with a PG-13 rating, that's a fact. But it will still do great with an R, since a lot of people who discovered the first movie 4 years ago when they were 13 or 14 can now go see it all by themselves.
Like me. w00t

Also, here's something to think on about R-ratings.

I had an easier time getting into R-rated movies in seventh grade than I did when I was 16.
Old 05-04-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey guys. . .let's say I was 16. What could I do to get in, besides sneaking in? If I went up to the ticket counter and bought one ticket with my mom next to me. . .would they sell?
Old 05-04-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by theneobez
Hey guys. . .let's say I was 16. What could I do to get in, besides sneaking in? If I went up to the ticket counter and bought one ticket with my mom next to me. . .would they sell?
Yep, she might have to go into the actual theater with you, since security might be tight.
Old 05-04-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn. . .that might be a problem.
I'm going to get my ticket for opening day today, I don't think I'll have any problem getting it. . .but on opening day, when I go in with my ticket, if they see that I have already bought the ticket. . .they wouldn't stop and ask for ID, would they? I guess I won't shave for a few days before hand (my facial hair grows quickly), so I'll look a year or two older.
Old 05-04-03, 03:58 PM

Man, I'm glad I'm 20. But still, I don't remember having any problems getting into the original Matrix. It's really not hard to do. Just have someone older than you buy the tickets. At my theater they only check ID when you purchase the ticket, not when you actually go into the theater.
Old 05-04-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I didn't have any trouble getting into the original Matrix either, and the person I was with was 16. Everything has gotten strict since then however, which is really unfortunate for near borderline age guys like myself.
Old 05-04-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My dad was with us to the first scary movie, the woman who was checking tickets would not let us in until our dad got up to our line (I was like 14 or 15). So some will check for id even up at the counter.
Old 05-04-03, 04:50 PM
Retired

Of course it will. It'll still rake in the $, but being R will hurt sales.

A lot of theaters, especially the big chains, won't sell R rated tickets to anyone under 17, so even if these kids see the movie they'll likely buy a ticket to something else (and that movie gets the $) and sneak in.

I say it'll make $200 some million.
Old 05-04-03, 05:28 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just happy it's R, and not "lets increase the ticket sales" PG-13. e.g., X2, and many others (probably T3. ***** that gonna pull it down, I fear.)

BTW, I'm a ticket taker at a movie theater and always let people into R movies, no matter how old they look. My bosses tell me to card people who look young, but that usually starts a fight, and I dont wanna get stabbed over my part-time job.
Old 05-05-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will the R rating hurt the movie? It's hard to say, probably, but honestly this movie is going to break ever R rated movie record on the book so quite honestly...who cares? It wouldn't be the same movie if it wasn't R rated, so it's hard to say.
Old 05-05-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

I say it'll make $200 some million.
I think it will break $300 million. I don't think the R rating will have a significant impact on its box office numbers.
Old 05-05-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nchhabra
I think it will break $300 million. I don't think the R rating will have a significant impact on its box office numbers.
Okay, fine, it'll break $300 million.

But I don't get the "it wont have a significant impact on its box office" idea.

It will have an impact. The rating is limiting the audience quite a bit. Sure, some teens will drag their parents, others will find ways to sneak in, etc., but a bunch of 8th graders bored can't go to the movies and just stroll into Reloaded.
Old 05-05-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't think a bunch of 8th graders SHOULD be allowed to do that. It's rated R for a reason. The content on the film should warrent the rating and I really don't believe it will get negativily effected because it isn't open for a wider audiance level. It's not like it's a kids film that is rated R, it's a film for adults that is rated for it's designed target audiance. the kids who will see it will be taken by the parents. simple as that.
Old 05-05-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I'm saying is this:

Matrix: Reloaded would make more money if it was PG13.

The pre-17 teens make up 30% of the movie going audience. Ignoring the influence 30% can have is foolish.

Last edited by Corvin; 05-05-03 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-05-03, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
All I'm saying is this:

Matrix: Reloaded would make more money if it was PG13.

The pre-17 teens make up 30% of the movie going audience. Ignoring the influence 30% can have is foolish.
Yeah, it's foolish to not compromise your work in order to make more money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.