Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did anybody see "Ghost of the Abyss" ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Did anybody see "Ghost of the Abyss" ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anybody see "Ghosts of the Abyss" ?

I am curious about this 3D movie. Is it a documentary ? Is it any good ?

Last edited by jeyi; 05-03-03 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is a documentary, it's entirely in 3-D and it is very good... the actual doc itself is pretty interesting if you're a fan of the Titanic and it's history... but the 3-D technology used is fantastic and makes the whole experience worth checking out... this is the same technique that will be used with Spy Kids 3-D... I can't wait...

if you have a chance to see "Ghosts" and want to have a unique experience for an hour, check it out...

MATT
Old 05-03-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm definitely interested in this, it looks terrific! will have to make the trip up to baltimore to see it though.
Old 05-03-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's pretty good.

Bill Paxton is a total fruitcake, though.
Old 05-03-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i caught this last weekend and thought that it was pretty good. i was okay up until the part near the end with the guy talking into the video camera telling the date of 9/11/01. that was pretty tough to swallow.
Old 05-05-03, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kevin75
i caught this last weekend and thought that it was pretty good. i was okay up until the part near the end with the guy talking into the video camera telling the date of 9/11/01. that was pretty tough to swallow.
Are you suggesting it was stagged? I'm not so certain.
Old 05-05-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Are you suggesting it was stagged? I'm not so certain.
I'd argue the 9.11 portion is the only part of the movie that isn't staged.
Old 05-05-03, 02:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
There are several moments which are very obviously staged, but I didn't feel that the 9/11 one was.

I enjoyed this, although I didn't really see the point of the 3-D. It wasn't a very "3-D" film, if you will. There were a couple of "cool!" 3-D moments, but mostly it would have played just as well in a regular transfer, I think. It didn't help that the 3-D was blurry around the edges, not very sharp at all. Maybe that was just my particular theater though, YMMV.

Still, an interesting experience that you don't get every day. I'm happy to support efforts like this in the hopes that we'll keep getting new 3-D films!!
Old 05-05-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure you seek out the film in the IMAX 3-D version, not the 35mm 3-D version.

While the IMAX 3-D presentations are excellent; the 35mm polarized (gray glasses) 3-D presentations aren't so hot. The 3-D movies in the 80s looked much better.

SPY KIDS 3-D has sequences shot with Cameron's 3-D cameras, but the film is being released widely in the inferior red/blue anaglyph format, so those expecting to see stereoscopic
3-D on par with the way GHOST looks will be in for a surprise.
If you saw the red/blue 3-D sequence in FREDDY'S DEAD; you'll know what to expect.

However, if they choose to run SPY KIDS in a few IMAX capable theatres, then the 3-D quality will likely be quite good.

No matter how good the cameras are; if the film is presented in a poor 3-D format, it isn't going to look very good. 35mm polarized can be OK, but it is complicated and most theaters end up screwing it up. The red/blue format is simple (all the theatre has to do is hand out the glasses, no special screen or projection lenses are required) but it looks even worse, and ghosting abounds.