Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When did Arnold Schwarzenegger's career "Jump the Shark?"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: When did Arnold Schwarzenegger's career "Jump the Shark"?
Collateral Damage
1.63%
The 6th Day
0.81%
End of Days
4.07%
Batman and Robin
21.14%
Junior
19.51%
Last Action Hero
25.20%
Eraser
4.07%
Jingle All the Way
11.38%
What career?
2.44%
Never jumped.
9.76%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the same thing with the Sylvester Stallone "Jump the Shark" one, what film (in your opinion) sent Arnold Schwarzenegger's career downhill?

Off this poll, I actually think his career started going down when "End of Days" came out. That movie wasn't very successful. I really enjoyed that movie a lot but it wasn't a big hit.

"The 6th Day" didn't do great either since it wasn't playing in that many theaters, it wasn't a nationwide release.

"Collateral Damage" almost sent his career down the drain, that probably was his worst movie. I pretty much enjoy all Arnold movies but I was dissapointed by this one.

I am going to see "T-3" when it comes out, so hopefully it's going to be good.

"End of Days" gets my vote on this poll.
Old 04-30-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got to vote for Junior. That had to be the worst movie ever made. Come on, Arnold had this big tough image, andthen bammmmm.... Pregrant Arnold??? C'mon
Old 04-30-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Last Action hero.....sucked bad
Old 04-30-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Two words:

Planet Hollywood
Old 04-30-03, 04:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
All of these movies made well over One Million Dollars. Wow! That's a lot of money. I'm no expert on show business, but that qualifies them all as Box Office Bonanzas.
Old 04-30-03, 04:31 PM
Banned

One Million Dollars is sure a lot of money for people who aren't film makers like us message board losers.
Old 04-30-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to have to say sometime after "Jingle All The Way", it was his last movie I enjoyed. I think the reason his career is floundering is because of the action movie fallout. I can remember a time when action movies were huge and made tons of money no matter how bad they were, and now, action movies are as hackneyed and trite as soap operas.
Old 04-30-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The jump of Arnold has nothing to do with the quality of his films. I mean, is Collaterial Damage that much worse than Commando? Or End of Days worse than Predator, inherently? The way I see it, his career peaked the day before the Last Action Hero opened. Arnold was invincible on screen and off, and remember the legitimate discussion as who would rule summer, Arnold or the T-Rexes of Jurassic Park? I was as suprised as when Buster Douglas knocked out Tyson that Arnold was so soundly thrashed. Not surpising given the schmaltzy B.S. that was Last Action Hero(though it's grown on me in recent years).

The only thing preventing this as the cementable, certifiable JTS moment is the success of True Lies. A favorite with fans, and a money maker, it did look for a moment like "Last Action Hero" was a hiccup and not a freefall. But after that, he's never been the same.

I don't think it's always fair to judge on box office recepits, but we can't really judge on performance, and since he's not writing or directing these, and he's an iconclastic star, the gate is like the popular vote of his fans. Eraser whispered across the 100 million mark, and Batman and Robin probably only made the money it did because of Arnold, but both were far from classics. I do think Collaterial Damage was a decent enough movie, but how could that be expected to do anything after 9/11.

At the end of the day, The Last Action Hero is where Arnold ceased to be bulletproof, and capped the best box office run since Burt Reynolds 1976-81. And no one has ever emerged to fill Stallone's and Arnold's shoes.

I just wish these guys would put a treatment I wrote back in the 6th grade to use, and finally get together and give the people the one thing they'd want to see out of them, the two togetether. Two rogue generals in World War II, who team up to squash Mussolini and Hitler. Ok, I was in 6th grade, and the thing reads like a Homer Simpson script now, but there is your premise. There's gold in them hills!!!
Old 04-30-03, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Brain Stew
I can remember a time when action movies were huge and made tons of money no matter how bad they were, and now, action movies are as hackneyed and trite as soap operas.
True to that, very good point.

Even though action movies may have really bad plotting and scripts, all "action" movies are for is just for good mindless fun, nothing more. That's what we all watch action movies for, we want to see bad ass action heroes kicking the bad guys asses, and that's why I love "action" movies so much.
Old 04-30-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

True Lies
Old 04-30-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I liked Sixth Day a lot but if I hadn't seen an ad for it in the paper a day or two before it opened, I would seriously have not known that there was another Schwartzeneggar action flick coming out -- zero marketing IMO.
Old 04-30-03, 09:04 PM

Well I think his last good movie was True Lies. After that, things started to fall apart. Granted his next few films did ok, Eraser, Jingle all the Way, but the tarnish from those movies not being well received led to the downfall. Batman and Robin being terrible and End of Days not doing so hot really ended his run as a top star. The poor showing of the Sixth Day (which was released nationwide...not sure why you would think it wasn't 2516 screens isn't a MEGA release, but it's stil quite wide). So after that his star wasn't that big. Collarteral Damage was a February release...sure it was bumped cause of 9-11 but still. He still has a chance to rebound though.
Old 04-30-03, 09:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Toss-up between Jingle All the Way and Junior.
Old 04-30-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Combination of The Last Action Hero, and the decreasing popularity of action movies in general.
Old 04-30-03, 10:37 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My initial thought is Junior... but I also could make a point for Jingle All the Way.

Last Action Hero was a disappointment, but when all was said and done, people still thought of Arnold as a star. Then True Lies came and brought back his luster (and box office... it's his second highest grosser behind T2).

But Arnie never has been a great comic actor. Going back a bit, Twins had the novelty of "Arnie in a comedy", plus it at least had SOME action. And Kindergarden Cop wisely had an action movie backbone to hang it's comedy plot on. Then Junior came along... this is a movie that's entire point of existence is a sight gag. The idea is corny, but it COULD have worked. Arnie simply didn't have the comedic chops to pull it off. He simply DID NOT look like a star here. Honestly, imagine Jim Carrey in this role, and a few rewrites... it might have actually been funny.

He returned to action with Eraser. It did cross the $100 mil mark, but it just didn't seem special. Arnie had already lost his specialness. And Jingle All the Way wasn't horrible movie, but it was a bad career move. He really should've laid off the comedies for awhile.

Last edited by DRG; 04-30-03 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by Tscott
True Lies
No frickin way! That's one of his best flicks by far! I'd say anything after about 1996 that he did was crap.
Old 05-01-03, 12:13 AM

While I definately won't imply I enjoyed or thought Jingle All the Way was anything but bad, I wouldn't really point to that movie as one that hurt him. It was outside his normal realm of movies (action) and actually did decently, turning a profit in the long run. Honestly it's his bad action movies that killed him. Even though Batman and Robin did make 110 million, that movie and End of Days did more to kill his career than anything else. Batman and Robin was just...horrible. Nobody liked it and it was seen as a HUGE flop. Sure those numbers would've looked good on another movie, but for a Batman movie with Awnold, it was considered a major bomb, not to mention the fact it was so widely despised. After that he hasn't had a movie open over 20 million dollars. Mediocre openings, not big grosses. Though his career is far from the dumps that Stallone is in, if T3 bombs I'm pretty sure that Arnold is over. Granted unless T3 is terrible, it will make 100 mil plus pretty much no problem. But to get his career back on track 150 mil plus is needed. Otherwise he'll just be a has been.

And to the person who asked is there really a difference between his old movies and his new ones...YES! There is!!! Ok, well Commando isn't fine cinema, but it wasn't the mega budget like Sixth Day or End of Days. But Predator, Total Recall, the Terminator movies, True Lies, I'd say those are pretty good movies. Good pacing, good action, even good directing. So is there a difference? Yes, while the focus is on action and whatnot, there is no denying that those movies are actually good movies. You should be able to tell the difference. Commando is a guilty pleasure...but no it's not that good. But it's FUN. Sixth Day? i thought it was dull. Collateral Damage? Where's the action? Not all his old movies were great either. Raw Deal I think might be his worst movie of all, and that was in his heyday. God I hate that movie, though it is quite funny. Just a thought.
Old 05-01-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm going to say never jumped, only because i still find many of his more recent flicks very enjoyable. I had a good time with 6th Day, and i felt End Of Days was a decent flick. Haven't had the chance to watch Collateral Damage though. I've never seen Junior for that matter either.

But in just about every movie i've seen with Arnold i always have fun. Whether its Conan, Terminator, Kindergarten Cop (guilty pleasure), Twins (another), True Lies, Last Action Hero... they may not all be masterpieces or anything like that but i have a lot of fun. I've always thought of him as an entertaining personality, and for me that translates on and off the film.
Old 05-01-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Last Action hero.
I agree with nature boy. That movie made him look less bankable and it has been a downward slide ever since.
Bye Bye arwnud.
Old 05-01-03, 03:16 AM
Banned

I would have to say Jingle All The Way... if that came out after Eraser, which I didn't like but it did make a mint.

They heyday of the Sly, Arnie, Seagal, Van Damme action flick changed when dramatic actors started jumping into these hero roles like Nicolas Cage.
Old 05-01-03, 05:38 AM
Banned

As I said, I pretty much enjoy all of Arnold's movies but the only two he did I didn't like were "Collateral Damage" and "Junior".
Old 05-01-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eraser was his last half-decent flick.
Old 05-01-03, 08:35 AM

Easily Eraser. Prior to that was Junior, which was funny, and True Lies, which was really good.

Eraser was unnecessary.
Jingle All the Way? C'mon.
Batman & Robin speaks for itself.
End of Days & 6th Day - ugh.
Collateral Damage was sorry.
T3? Who knows but it looks like more of the same of T2 but maybe it will surprise us.
Old 05-01-03, 08:35 AM
Cool New Member

I love my Awnold movies but everything since Last Action Hero was yechhhhh.

The True Awnold will arise when KING CONAN comes to a theater near you! Milius + Watchanameit bros + Awnold + Sean Connery!

Crom!

- Daniel I
Old 05-01-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with Eraser. It is probably a template for all his recent movie problems. Basically a lame plot with stupid special effects and a director who doesn't know how to use Arnold.

End of Days was marked as Arnold's comeback movie, so that isn't the jump the shark moment.

Last Action Hero was Schwarzenneger at his zenith - he was invincible..but the movie was kinda bad and proved he was mortal.

Anyway, as someone mentioned before - Predator, Terminator, and Arnold's mid 80's to early 90's were good movies, well paced, suspenseful, and were great vehicles for Arnold. And Commando is a hell of a lot of fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.