Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Favorite Actor/Actress to Bash

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rules:

*Name the person...

*State Grievance with this performer...

*What triggered this emotion....

* Movies they ruined on you....

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start this one off with a bang...

*Halle Berry

*She believes that she's the first black actress to be successful. Hell we got another Rosa Park here Her acting ability is luke warm and yet she thinks she's the ****!

*Well doctor it all started while watching Regis one morning....Howie Mandel made a crack about Halles hit and run accident. Well Little miss sensitive went off and made a big fuss! Halle if you didn't drive off in the first place there couldn't be a joke about it! Lastly her Oscar win! She opened the gates HAHAHAHA

*Xmen and most importantly JAMES BOND!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------

I just hope the MOD doesn't close this thread. I think this thread has potential of becoming interesting and comical.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 08-04-04 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 12:29 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
* Jennifer Lopez.

* She. Is. Everywhere! Movies, music, TV, magazines, and of course the Web. Even IF I agreed with her semi-official status as Hottest Woman in the History of the Universe (which I don't - not even close), I'd be totally sick of her by now.

* The mind-boggling overexposure this broad receives triggers my Gag Reflex: Overrated Pop Culture Phenomenon Version. If I find something mediocre (as I do "J-Lo" as far as her looks, acting, musical ability...), it's usually no big deal. However, when I find something mediocre *and* it's aggressively crammed down my throat as the pinnacle of perfection, I backlash against it. Maybe the optimal strategy would be to avoid talking about it (her) at all, but I'm too juvenile and petty to do that. Hence, this post.

* Have only seen a couple of her movies, mostly before the hype reached its current deafening level. Anyways, I'm sure if I re-watched these, I'd be tearing my eyes out of their sockets: Anaconda, The Cell, Out of Sight........possibly more. Good thing I never sat through Enough - "It's Sleeping with the Enemy meets The Karate Kid!"

[I agree this should be fun if we don't take it too seriously. There are plenty of performers I like, and it really wouldn't bother me at all if some DVDTalker decided to bash them here.]
Old 04-30-03, 05:53 AM
Banned

Re: The One and Only Favorite Actor/Actress to Bash

Originally posted by White Knight

*Halle Berry

*She believes that she's the first black actress to be successful. Hell we got another Rosa Park here Her acting ability is luke warm and yet she thinks she's the ****!

UUhhhhh, it's obvious that people who enjoy bashing Halle's acting hasn't even seen the movie "Monster Ball", if you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and see it. Once you see the movie, you would realize that she really does have acting talent. Halle is one of my top 5 favorite actresses.

I don't really like to make fun of any actors/actresses, but still I like to pick on Tom Green once in a while.
Old 04-30-03, 05:54 AM
Banned

Re: Re: The One and Only Favorite Actor/Actress to Bash

Double post
Old 04-30-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1) Fran Drescher
2) Voice, attitude, extremely annoying
3) The sound of her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me, I get goosebumps and get all freaked out when she speaks.
4) The Nanny
Old 04-30-03, 09:07 AM

George Clooney
One dimensional acting
His smirk makes me want to slap him silly
Batman and Robin
Old 04-30-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Re: The One and Only Favorite Actor/Actress to Bash

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
UUhhhhh, it's obvious that people who enjoy bashing Halle's acting hasn't even seen the movie "Monster Ball", if you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and see it. Once you see the movie, you would realize that she really does have acting talent. Halle is one of my top 5 favorite actresses.

I don't really like to make fun of any actors/actresses, but still I like to pick on Tom Green once in a while.
Many people, myself included, felt that her performance in Monster's Ball was overrated.
Old 04-30-03, 11:10 AM
Banned

What are you talking about Rocky? Monsters Ball was terrible.
Old 04-30-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Mysteryfan
George Clooney
One dimensional acting
His smirk makes me want to slap him silly
Batman and Robin
Wow, you thought George Clooney ruined Batman and Robin? I actually thought he was the best thing in it besides Uma in that tight outfit.

What ruined Batman and Robin for me was, well lets see, Joel Schumacher, the horrible horrible script, Arnold, Batgirl, and just about everything else BUT Clooney and Uma.
Old 04-30-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm. I like this thread idea.

I could list many, esp. Carrot Top, Pauly Shore, Daulph Laundren, but I'll just stick with one for now:

*Ben Affleck
*This guy started out doing great movies(Good Will Hunting, Chasing Amy, heck even Mallrats wasn't ALL that bad), and now he seems to be in every movie that they would have put Jean Claude Van Damn or Steven Seagal in
*The need to smack him around and have him join his buddy Matt and doing some decent flicks again
*DareDevil, most likely that new one w/ J Ho.
Old 04-30-03, 12:06 PM

-Ben Affleck.
-Notorious for emotionally void and pretentious performances in mostly terrible movies.
-I used to think he was a bad actor. That was before Pearl Harbor, which was in my opinion one of the worst movies ever made. After that I realized he truly is a terrible actor who delivered a godafwul performance, in a bad movie made even worse by his movie star pretentiousness. Also his relationship with Jennifer Lopez puts him in all the headlines and newspapers, which also makes me get even more sick of hearing about him. I wish they would both go away..
-Pearl Harbor.(Isn't that enough reason to hate the guy? )
Old 04-30-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ACTOR: Keanu Reeves

GRIEVANCE: pretty boy without one shred of acting ability

TRIGGER: watching any post-Bill & Ted movie

RUINED: oh God, how much space will this post hold? Let's start with the films that could have been vastly improved by a quick de-Keanu: The Matrix, Johny Mneumonic, Speed, Dracula. Most of these are pretty decent movies where all Keanu does is grunt and say "whoa".

If you go to that next level down in Hades -- where he actually attempted to "act" -- you have such monstrosities as Little Buddha, A Walk In the Clouds, Feeling Minnesota... and my all time favorite, Much Ado About Nothing, which featured Keanu in a starring role as "Nothing".

Then you have the films where Keanu is soooo bad, and the film is so bad, each viewing actually drains a year from your life, much like Count Rogan's machine in The Princess Bride. Let's see... Chain Reaction, The Watcher, The Gift, and especially Sweet November.

My wife is a BIG Keanu Reeves fan, so, yes, I have unfortunately viewed all of these movies in some capacity or the other. And yes, while watching some of these films, I did divulge official state secrets. I broke! What would you have me do! There is only so much a man can take!!!
Old 04-30-03, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pants
What are you talking about Rocky? Monsters Ball was terrible.
1. The term overrated doesn't make sense.

2. If you think it's a terrible movie, then you must not be into drama films.

Halle Berry in "Monster's Ball" is the best female acting performance I ever seen.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 04-30-03 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. The term overrated doesn't make sense.

I'm into drama films, and I thought that movie sucked (well except for the sex scene at least)
Old 04-30-03, 04:11 PM
Banned

You could explain in detail of why you think the movie "sucked", saying stuff like "The movie sucked" and "it's overrated" isn't explaining much.
Old 04-30-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So liking or disliking one movie can determine whether you're into a genre?
Old 04-30-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man this is such a good thread and I have nothing useful to add. I wanted to say "that little bastard from Harry Potter" as a joke. Then I wanted to say Marky Mark Wahlberg. Then I wanted to give reasons of why I USE TO hate Brad Pitt; but I was turned around by his performance in Fight Club.

Interesting reading.

P.S. Halle Berry is the best female performance you've ever seen???
Old 04-30-03, 08:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Subject: Julia Roberts

My problem with her: They toss her in a variety of Hollywood fanfare movies, saying she's an attractive actress. If only Hollywood of the 1930's, etc could have know they could sew a horse's face onto a nice body they wouldnt have had to pay out all those starlets.

What triggered this emotion: Just look at her. Something is wrong there.

Movie(s) she ruined: Anything with her as the lead actress, when I can think of much better looking ones that could have gotten some nice parts in films.
Old 04-30-03, 08:57 PM

Well I do agree with Rocky Stallone that Halle Berry was excellent in MOnster's Ball, it's her overexposure and recent ego trips that annoy me with her. But only so much. I agree that J Lo is really grating my nerves these days though. Out of Sight was an awesome movie, but now...she's just getting shoved down my throat left and right. BAHHH stop the J Lo attacks!!!

Not sure why you would hate George Clooney for Batman and Robin. I mean, after that movie I think he leads a great career churning out some very good movies here and there, and at least projects that try to do something good. I mean, if there's anyone out there who to say that that movie was awful, it's him, and I doubt we'll see him in anything THAT bad again.
Old 04-30-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Freddie Prinze Jr.

You know the reasons.
Old 05-01-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought Monster's Ball and Halle's performance in it were overrated because nothing she did stood out as anything special. I honestly believe that many actresses could have taken on that role with the same, if not more 'realism' that she put out. Not to say that she did a bad job, i thought she played it very nicely. Just nothing that struck me as 'wow, she's really pulling me in here.' Particularly her relationship with her son.
Old 05-01-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

* Helen Hunt

* This woman sends a cold shiver through my body whenever I even see a photo of her. She isn't pretty and she's never even been close to portraying a nice character in movies.

* Watching Mad About You every now and then made me notice that she never really smiled in that show. When she attempted it, it just turned out to be a cold sneer. She was always mean to Paul's character in that show and turned out to be everything I DON'T like in a woman,

* Ruined 'Twister', 'As Good As It Gets', 'What Women Want', 'Castaway' even though she was only in the latter for about 10 minutes.
Old 05-01-03, 05:36 AM
Banned

I was being serious that Halle's performance in "Monsters Ball" was the best female performance I've ever seen, if you can't accept that opinion, then you have issues.

She did a much better job than other actresses like Julia Roberts (blech) and Sally Field (double blech).

That's fine that people don't like her acting but I think it's absurd to think that Halle has a big ego which isn't true at all.
Old 05-01-03, 06:21 AM

but I think it's absurd to think that Halle has a big ego which isn't true at all.
This is very WRONG!!!!! You thought incorrectly!

Mr. Stallone, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 05-01-03 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-01-03, 07:49 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Somebody wanna reproduce the text of her (Halle's) Oscar speech? I remember thinking it was obnoxious. Didn't she make like she was breaking new ground for "women of color" all across America - prompting the Rosa Parks references?

I'm sure there's still some racism in this country, but I have a hard time accepting the idea that Ms. Berry's success in Hollywood represents any serious obstacle-overcoming. Christ, she's a woman with a pretty face and wonderfully full breasts, and we're supposed to be in awe that she excels as an actress?! Sorry. Might be apples and oranges, but if that fat chick from "The Practice" becomes a leading lady and wins an Oscar, then I'll hold hands and join in the celebration of "barriers being torn down."

Also, good call on Julia Roberts. I said J-Lo was overrated, but I don't consider her ugly at all. Julia, however, is flat-out unpleasant to look at. Facially. Caught part of Conspiracy Theory on cable recently, and the structure of her skull is SO bad that I found myself focusing on the dreamy Mel Gibson whenever the two of them were onscreen at the same time. It's not every day that a woman can make me question my heteros......

*Ahem.* Back on topic:

* Tom Hanks.

* Don't like his whiny, nasaly voice. Got tired of him playing The Paragon of Human Decency in every single movie. Then he played a hitman and I *still* didn't like his performance. He can't win in my eyes.

* Tom triggers my Gag Reflex: Overrated Pop Culture Phenomenon Version - Excessively Nominated Performer Reaction. Too many Oscar nods.

* "Ruined" is a strong word, but even a movie like Saving Private Ryan would have been better IMO with somebody else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.