Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Favorite Actor/Actress to Bash

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only Favorite Actor/Actress to Bash

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by White Knight
This is very WRONG!!!!! You thought incorrectly!

Mr. Stallone, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
A bit harsh there. But someone had to say it.
Old 05-01-03, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
I was being serious that Halle's performance in "Monsters Ball" was the best female performance I've ever seen, if you can't accept that opinion, then you have issues.
1. Falconetti in Joan of Arc, and Monica Vitti in L'Aventura, and all those women in Fellini's films, and Emily Watson is Breaking the Waves, and Liv Ullmann in all those Burgman films, and the "other" Bergman (you know the one in Casablanca). I could go on and on. You need to see some more movies.

2. Monters Ball is what I call Oscar Bait. Like an f-1 car built to win races, it was made to win Oscars. It has all the cold efficieny of a film "built" by a team who wanted it to win. It so self consciously wants an Oscar that I can't really respect the film or the film makers.
Old 05-01-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr. Stallone, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
OK, so this is definitely sig material.
Old 05-01-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a quote from Billy Madison
Old 05-01-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, when I first read the subject of this thread I thought Halle Berry.

I think she's drop dead gorgeous, but I don't think she can act her way out of a paper bag.

I've seen Monster's Ball, I've also seen Bulworth...and Losing Isaiah...and Introducing Dorothy Dandridge. When Halle won the Oscar I had mixed feelings, as an African-American woman I had witnessed history, but I couldn't fully get behind her win because I find her acting so disappointing. She never convinces me that she's whatever character she's playing. Acting is supposed to be seamless, smooth and to me, I just see a woman trying to act like someone instead of actually becoming that someone. That's why I think she sucks!

And it's not about beauty, for the most part Hollywood is all about beauty. I could list ten actresses off the top of my head, beautiful...and talented. Angela Bassett, Susan Sarandon, Jennifer Connelly......
Old 05-01-03, 11:53 AM

Strongly Dislike: Nic Cage

Reason: Voice gets on my nerves, his usual dull expressions just bother me. Just dont care for him much at all

Disclaimer: Was worried about him ruining Adaptation, he did not and I really enjoyed his roles in that film, so there is some work of his that I like. Also, I was 8 or 9 when I saw Raising Arizona(so I don't remember it too well), and I've been told I need to see that again to appreciate him more.

This is based on seeing : The Rock, Face/Off, 8MM, Gone in 60 Seconds, The Family Man, Adaptation......so perhaps I dont like him in action roles.
Old 05-01-03, 12:51 PM

Damn ncmojo.. you beat me to using that quote for .sig stuff!
Old 05-01-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a quote from Billy Madison
Thanks. Still apropos.
Old 05-01-03, 01:49 PM

Old 05-01-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by inVectiVe
Somebody wanna reproduce the text of her (Halle's) Oscar speech? I remember thinking it was obnoxious. Didn't she make like she was breaking new ground for "women of color" all across America - prompting the Rosa Parks references?
FOUND IT!

Originally said by Halle Berry
Oh, my god. Oh, my god. I'm sorry. This moment is so much bigger than me. This moment is for Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne, Diahann Carroll. It's for the women who stand behind me, Jada Pinkett, Angela Bassett, Vivica Fox and it's for every nameless faceless woman of color that now has a chance because this door tonight has been opened. Thank you. I'm so honored.

I'm so honored and I thank the Academy for choosing me to be the vessel for which His blessing may flow. I want to thank my manager, Vincent Cirrincione. He's been with me for 12 long years and you fought every fight and you loved me when I've been up. But more importantly you've loved me when I've been down. You have been a manager, a friend and the only father I've ever known. Really, I love you very much.

I want to thank my mom who has given me the strength to fight every single day, to be who I want to be and to give me the courage to dream, that this dream might be happening and is possible for me. I love you, Mom, so much. Thank you. My husband who is just a joy of my life. And India, thank you for giving me peace, because only with the peace that you've brought me have I been allowed to go to places that I never knew I could go. Thank you. I love you and India with all my heart.

I want to thank Lions Gate, thank you, Mike Paseornek. Tom Ortenberg for making sure everybody knew about this little tiny movie. Thank you. Our director Marc Forster, you're a genius. You're a genius. This moviemaking experience was magical for me because of you. You believed in me, you trusted me and you gently guided me to very scary places. I thank you. I want to thank Ivana Chubic, I could have never figured out who the heck this lady was without you. I love you. Thank you. I want to thank Lee Daniels, our producer. Thank you for giving me this chance, for believing that I could do it. And now tonight I have this. Thank you. I want to thank my agent at CAA, Josh Lieberman, especially I have to thank my agents, Kevin, thank you, thank you for never kicking me out and sending me somewhere else. Thank you. Who else? I have so many people that I know I need to thank. My lawyers, Neil Meyer, thank you. Okay, wait a minute. I got to take 74 years here. I got to take this time. I got to thank my lawyer, Neil Meyer for making this deal, Doug Stone.

I need to thank lastly and not leastly, I have to thank Spike Lee for putting me in my very first film and believing in me. Oprah Winfrey for being the best role model any girl can have, Joel Silver, thank you. And thank you to Warren Beatty. Thank you so much for being my mentors and believing in me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 05-01-03, 03:43 PM

"and it's for every nameless faceless woman of color that now has a chance because this door tonight has been opened. "

It's been open sista well before you!

Good find on the quote!

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 05-01-03 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-01-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And click here if you want to download the speech as it happened
http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2431060
Old 05-01-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Costner

Dances With Wolves sucked the big one and beat out four more worthy films for the Oscar, and wasted like nearly four hours of my life. And I really hate the characters he's played and the movies he's been in, with the exception of The Untouchables and Field of Dreams. I think seeing more of his stuff could make me not him so much, as I've come to do with Russell Crowe.

Jake Gyllenhaal

What is he supposed to be tough or something? I hated Donnie Darko and mostly because of him and his self-important brooding. His face just makes me want to beat the crap out of him.
Old 05-01-03, 04:33 PM
Banned

Want to give some proof that she has an ego? I don't see her being an egostotical actress at all.

If you think her Oscar speech from 2 years ago is having a big ego, then you have issues.

People are entitled to their own opinions when they say she has a big ego. It's my opinion that I think she doesn't.
Old 05-01-03, 04:44 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
You have to love any speech that thanks Oprah and Joel Silver in the same sentence.
Old 05-01-03, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
Want to give some proof that she has an ego? I don't see her being an egostotical actress at all.

If you think her Oscar speech from 2 years ago is having a big ego, then you have issues.
Man, you're working for both Halle Berry and Sly Stallone now? How much do they pay you?
Old 05-01-03, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by William Fuld
You have to love any speech that thanks Oprah and Joel Silver in the same sentence.
I know that is refferring to Halle's speech at the Oscars.

I find nothing wrong with her thanking all those actresses when she won the award.

Is it really all that big of a deal?
Old 05-01-03, 04:55 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I find nothing wrong with her thanking all those actresses when she won the award.
By saying this: "because this door tonight has been opened..." She implied that no non-white woman had a chance to act in movies before her.
Old 05-01-03, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bhk
By saying this: "because this door tonight has been opened..." She implied that no non-white woman had a chance to act in movies before her.
She was the first black actress to win for "Best Actress", can you blame her for naming all those black actresses?

She was just simply pointing out that other black actresses could get the opportunity to win an Oscar for "Best Actress'.
Old 05-01-03, 05:00 PM
Banned

And besides, she was happy when she won the award, so it's not her fault. You should respect that.
Old 05-01-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But Rocky, it's pretty obvious that a good part of her speech was canned. Do you think that she came up with those names "off the top of her head?" She may have been happy, but it still came off as being pretentious.

And the post started with a comment about a Regis show that Halle appeared on. That was their opinion, based on her actions on that show.
Old 05-01-03, 10:30 PM

HALLE HEATS UP FEUD WITH HOWIE MANDEL
Forgive and forget? FORGET IT!
It's still a rip-roaring feud between gorgeous Halle Berry -- who's not ready to bury the hatchet -- unless it's in funnyman Howie Mandel's head!! When Halle found out she and Howie were guesting on "The Tonight Show" the same night, she sent word that she would absolutely NOT share the couch with him. The "Monster's Ball" actress is STILL steaming over a crack Howie made more than a year ago when he filled in for Regis Philbin on "Live With Regis & Kathie Lee." When it came time to introduce guest Halle, he quipped that he'd bumped into her backstage and "she just left the scene" -- a reference to her hit-and-run car accident several months earlier. Angry Halle lit into Howie on-camera for dissing her, and he apologized profusely. But time has not healed the wound from the comic's barb and Howie hustled off the "Tonight Show" stage before Halle came out to join Jay Leno.

Published on: January 9, 2002
Old 05-01-03, 10:31 PM

^That was the spark that starting the fire....
Old 05-02-03, 01:51 AM

I think in the end...celebrities exist not as people to us, but as entertainers for us to love and bash. I think it's rather entertaining, so, instead of arguing over why it's wrong to bash an actress, let's use this thread to bash actresses and actors we don't like cause...it's entertaining.
Old 05-02-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe Halle Berry has issues.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.