Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that are distroyed/butchered to death in pan and scan or full frame?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright Psycho. even though it was shot in 185, the full frame version shows us alot of things that were fake that should be covered up and not showed.
Pulp fiction, the standoff at the end, when Honey Bunny is off screen, it kind of ruins the tension of the scene. Another one from that movie is when Jules shoots Flock of Seagulls, in the widescreen version its so sudden that you jump when it happens, in the pan and scan version, it shifts over so you kind of expect it.
Old 04-26-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was flipping through the channels and Wild Things was on, and it looked like GARBAGE in P&S. (Of course it kinda IS garbage in widescreen, too, but the composition is better anyway. )

Ghostbusters, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, A Few Good Men all look very bad in P&S. Obviously, I could go on and on listing any 2.35:1 movie, but these ones come to mind and run on TV with some frequency.
Old 04-26-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A Leaugue of Their Own will give you vertigo. It's a dialog driven movie filmed in 2.35:1, and probably the most active pan-n-scan I've ever seen. The P&S constantly fights the motion of the camera, moving against real pans and moving left to right as the camera scans up and down. It is a nightmare.
Old 04-26-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Halloween. There's some scenes in the P&Scam where Mr. Myers isn't even seen, although he's supposed to be...
Old 04-26-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Buffy.
Old 04-26-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
All of them.
Old 04-26-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts
Multiplicity with Michael Keaton, another dizzying use of P&S.
Old 04-27-03, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
All of them.
Old 04-27-03, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Multiplicity with Michael Keaton, another dizzying use of P&S.
That was gonna be my answer... totally ruined that movie was.

Plus - I'll agree with "All of them". Pan and Scan sucks.
Old 04-27-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the films listed (Ghostbusters, A Few Good Men, Multiplicity, A League of Their Own) are Columbia/TriStar films. They seem to always do a terrible job with their pan and scan versions. Everything is constanting shifting.
Old 04-27-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
A really bad one that sticks out is The Cable Guy, the conversation in the restaurant between Leslie Mann and Owen Wilson.
Old 04-27-03, 12:28 PM

In the pan&scan version Fellowship of the ring you can see a bunch of stuff that was spossed to be of screen like a telephone pole on the River Anundin. You can see other exaples of just this movie being butchered herehttp://dvd.ign.com/articles/366/366890p1.html
Old 04-27-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Lazyshu
In the pan&scan version Fellowship of the ring you can see a bunch of stuff that was spossed to be of screen like a telephone pole on the River Anundin. You can see other exaples of just this movie being butchered herehttp://dvd.ign.com/articles/366/366890p1.html
But that's not pan & scan is it? It sounds more like an open matte version of the movie. How would you see things that are out of the frame in p&s?

Someone earlier mentioned A League of Her Own and i have to back that one up. My wife was watching that recently on basic cable and i was getting motion sickness trying to watch it.

My wife was also watching Grease a while back on cable and in the slumber party scene the p&s moments were horrible. Especially when one character was standing on the bed and another way laying on the floor next to the bed. The screen kept moving up and down throughout the conversation.

I don't think I have ever seen it on television, but I imagine The Good, the Bad and the Ugly must be pretty horrid to watch fullscreen. So many shots that have great full use of the horizontal screen. Some of the shots toward the end involving all three character must be a complete mess in fullscreen.

Last edited by badger1997; 04-27-03 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-27-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw a preview for AOTC on HBO and it was P&S and it felt claustrophobic.
Old 04-27-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I don't think I have ever seen it on television, but I imagine The Good, the Bad and the Ugly must be pretty horrid to watch fullscreen. So many shots that have great full use of the horizontal screen. Some of the shots toward the end involving all three character must be a complete mess in fullscreen:"
Also, the print they used is literally distroyed, noise, hisses, pops, thousands of scrathces, so if you thought the dvd was bad, try to watch it on tnt.
Old 04-27-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Any scene where people are held in a two-shot for a conversation - the person not speaking is always panned out of the picture, and often it is the reactions of the non-speaker that gves the scene its importance and relevance.
Probably not all movies are "destroyed" by p/s (if we think hard enough, we'll find one that survives ok) - but we can be sure that no movie is ever improved pan-and-scan.
Old 04-28-03, 09:41 AM

I always think of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, because of the scene in which Kirk, Spock and Dr. Taylor are talking in her truck. In the P&S version, they have to pan back and forth to whoever's speaking as many have mentioned is a well-documented problem with P&S.

Dr. Gillian Taylor: Do you guys like Italian?
Kirk: Yes.
Spock: No.
Kirk: Yes.
Spock: No.
Kirk: I love Italian, [looks at Spock] and so do you.
Spock: Yes.
Old 04-28-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ghostbusters - especially in the elevator scene.
Old 04-28-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ben Hur suffers a lot because it was shot in 2.75:1 ratio.
Old 04-28-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
"I don't think I have ever seen it on television, but I imagine The Good, the Bad and the Ugly must be pretty horrid to watch fullscreen. So many shots that have great full use of the horizontal screen. Some of the shots toward the end involving all three character must be a complete mess in fullscreen:"
Also, the print they used is literally distroyed, noise, hisses, pops, thousands of scrathces, so if you thought the dvd was bad, try to watch it on tnt.
When I talk to my casual movie fan friends, the guys who are still on the VHS bandwagon, this is the movie I cite. It's two entirely different films. Watching it off TBS especially growing up, it looked like their dragged their print through that desert dust, but worse than that was the full-screen nature of it. The DVD of this is so phenomenal, I was overjoyed to see it.
Old 04-28-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigPete
A Leaugue of Their Own will give you vertigo. It's a dialog driven movie filmed in 2.35:1, and probably the most active pan-n-scan I've ever seen. The P&S constantly fights the motion of the camera, moving against real pans and moving left to right as the camera scans up and down. It is a nightmare.
I second this one. I don't know how anyone sits through this one. I know it might piss people off, but they should bite the bullet and show this in OAR or at least 1:85 on TV.
Old 04-28-03, 01:20 PM

First movie that popped in my mind was Multiplicity, I really fealt like watching this movie onc so I rented it in pan (accident I swear ) the damn thing had made me nautious in about 20 minutes. Worst job ever.
Old 04-28-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The PLANET OF THE APES series is a must in widescreen.
Old 04-28-03, 03:01 PM

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts
Any film made by a director who uses the frame to tell the story just as much as the dialogue spoken. So...too many to list.
Old 04-28-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not a fan but ANNIE was on tv recently and damn if i didnt get neckstrain watching the tv shift from left to right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.