Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hollywood Cop-Outs (Some Spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was watching The Sum of All Fears the other night, which is a pretty decent flick. In the original Tom Clancy book, the villians were Arab terrorists. In the movie, they shifted it over to some politically-correct villians -- old-school Russian Communists and a global white conspiracy group. (?)

Particuarly in light of 9/11, this seemed to me to be a bit preposterous. What, did they think we could not seperate reality from fiction? They really need to drag the Russians out of the closet full of mothballs to give us a convincing enemy? This may not be PC, but I think if anyone terrorist wanted to explode a nuke on US soil, it would very likely be someone from an Arab country. I think this is a major-league cop-out.

What are some other examples of Hollywood cop-outs?
Old 04-25-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I would agree. I actually really loved this movie, but it would have been more interesting if they had kept the original villans.
Old 04-25-03, 11:14 AM
Banned

Re: Hollywood Cop-Outs (Some Spoilers)

Originally posted by ncmojo
but I think if anyone terrorist wanted to explode a nuke on US soil, it would very likely be someone from an Arab country. I think this is a major-league cop-out.
Well duh! The whole movie is a cop out. It sucks. Patriot Games and Clear and Present took liberties with the source novel, but kept the basic essence of the story right. Sum of All Fears changed so much that it just plain ISN'T THE BOOK ANYMORE. It is Sum of All Fears in name only.

P.S. Most H'wood films with budgets over $60 million have cop-out endings, this thread would be shorter if we named the ones that didn't.
Old 04-25-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Hollywood Cop-Outs (Some Spoilers)

Originally posted by ncmojo
What are some other examples of Hollywood cop-outs?
Sony removing the WTC from the Spiderman movie and posters.
Old 04-25-03, 12:30 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Hollywood Cop-Outs (Some Spoilers)

Originally posted by johnglass
Sony removing the WTC from the Spiderman movie and posters.
They didn't remove it from the movie.
Old 04-25-03, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about Shrek. The beautiful woman princess just happens to be the exact same 'green ogre' race as Shrek.
Old 04-25-03, 12:55 PM
Banned

Not only is Shrek's ending a cop out, it's one of the worst endings ever.
Old 04-25-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. The original cop-out happy ending of Blade Runner.

2. The tacked on ending that ruined the whole point of the original in "The Vanishing".
Old 04-25-03, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Hiro11
2. The tacked on ending that ruined the whole point of the original in "The Vanishing".
That's the winner!!!! What a catastrophe!!!
Old 04-25-03, 01:37 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Isn't The Contender considered a cop-out ending?
Old 04-25-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Pants
That's the winner!!!! What a catastrophe!!!
That's an understatement. A few weeks ago at a screening of The Stoneraft, director Sluizer was answering questions afterwards. Of course, someone brought up The Vanishing.

And Sluizer agreed that it was a catastrophe. First, he and 20th Century Fox agreed on a similar ending to the original. Between that time and production, Rupert Murdoch bought it out or whatever and the entire philosophy changed. It got so bad, Sluizer said, that Fox was threatening to kick him out of the country. Sluizer was pretty much beaten into submission. He said that because they wanted a sex scene he filmed one so out of hand just to make sure they didn't want it at all.

Anyways, how did the American version end? (in spoiler tags) I couldn't get through 5 minutes of it. Thanks.
Old 04-25-03, 03:12 PM

How about that crappy Play it to the Bone movie. I swear just as the fight began I knew what was gonna happen, but I prayed they wouldn't be that stupid.

Then it happened
Spoiler:
A fricking double knockout
what a cop out.
Old 04-26-03, 01:36 AM

Re: Re: Hollywood Cop-Outs (Some Spoilers)

Originally posted by Pants
Well duh! The whole movie is a cop out. It sucks. Patriot Games and Clear and Present took liberties with the source novel, but kept the basic essence of the story right. Sum of All Fears changed so much that it just plain ISN'T THE BOOK ANYMORE. It is Sum of All Fears in name only.

P.S. Most H'wood films with budgets over $60 million have cop-out endings, this thread would be shorter if we named the ones that didn't.
Well, if you watch the Clancy Commentary on the DVD, his opening line is "Hi, I'm Tom and I wrote the novel they didn't read" or something very similar to it. That was an indrecible commentary track btw. I think Tom was more pissed it was changed to the Neo-Nazi/fascist thing, cause in his words, "that's bulls***, that would never happen".