Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Slaughter Rule...Questions.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-23-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this film to be flawed.

But I don't want to turn this into a review of the movie, but I tell you Ryan Gosling (The Believer) turned in a great performance. Although the star of this film, IMO, is David Morse. Such a great talent that doesn't get recognized as much as he should.

And both actors did what they definitely could with what they had.

Questions:

Spoiler:
1.Was Morse's character Gideon homosexual? The film never really answered it. I have lead to believe he possibly could be. Just a closeted homosexual.

2. Was Gidion a lover of the drunk man who died in his car from carbon monoxide poisioning? Going back to the drunk saying he (Gid) left him for that boy (Roy). (Obviously a factor of question 1.)

3. Did Morse have sexual relations with the boy that was killed? (Obviously a factor of question 1.)

From the questions above, is why I found the film flawed. I never found a resolution to the character of Gid. But I was clued in to that he was a lonely man that possibly just wanted a mutual relationship with a "son" figure. But the whole
Spoiler:
homosexual
theme got in my way of a beatiful father-son like relationship between the two men.

Maybe I am not reading the film well enough, though.
Old 04-23-03, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This movie kind of fell apart towards the end, despite good performances from Gosling, Morse , and Clea Duvall. I found it hard to understand the characters' actions and motivations in the last half. Every character seemed to contradict themselves and act out of character. On the question of whether Morse's character was gay or not......I don't believe he was gay. I think his diabetic friend and the dead boy were just his close friends. Possibly, the only real friends he ever had until Gosling's character came along. I found Morse's character to be a passionate person, but not a sexual person. His libido is non-existant, and he seems to think about sex very little. But being so passionate and eager to bond with his male friends, he sometimes acts in ways towards them that would be considered " homosexual ". He doesn't know any other way of expressing himself, probably.
Old 04-23-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The reason...was the scene while (and after) Gid rebandages Roy's hand.

Spoiler:
Such an awesome scene, but this scene along with others (the showering scene) made it out that he had feelings in a homosexual way towards young boys.

But I do understand what you are trying to say in the context of a caring, understanding relationship between two different people who are so much a like.

And I also thought the ending fell apart. I know the writer(s)/directors shyed away from the typical Hollywood ending...but they should have answered a lot of questions. I would have prefered a talk between Gid and Roy explaining themselves to each other.
Old 04-25-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I realize that this isn't a big release, but if you have seen it I would like more opinions.
Old 04-25-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First of all, I think David Morse's performance can be accurately described as fearless.

As for Gideon's sexuality, it points toward homosexual, but I think it's much more ambiguous than a straight up definition. Gideon seems to be repressing himself: denying, or hiding from, his past, but yet swimming in memories.

A lot depends on Roy's (Ryan Gosling) perception of Gideon. Early on he's oblivious to Gid's past and innocently takes part in "incriminating" activities. Now this may sound a lot like some afterschool special about "accepting" others, but wisely the film explores their relationship in a mature manner. They feed off each other, Roy is Gid's chance at redemption or success and even catharsis, while Gid becomes Roy's father figure. And when the past creeps in both characters succumb to pressure: Gideon's sexuality and Roy's fear.

I liked the ending because it didn't try to resolve their relationship in one scene. The film puts such effort into the characters that it knows there is no easy answer. Roy seemed to move towards more compassion, while Gideon's own weakness becomes overt by his collapse. I don't think that the relationship was heading in the sexual direction, but the issue is addressed. And where it goes after that is smartly left in the open.

Great soundtrack too.
Old 04-25-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the answers.

And yes the soundtrack is great.

But sundog, could you tell me the name of the band who sings the song during the montage/credits at the end?
Old 06-06-10, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Slaughter Rule...Questions.

I just caught this on tv yesterday. It was intense and has stayed with me.
The main question I have is about the halftime scene at their last game. They are all piled into a van and in the front seat is a blond woman nursing a baby. Is that Skyla? Did I duck out for a coke and miss something? Did she have Roy's baby? Who in the heck was the woman if it was not her?
Thanks for your help because it's really bugging me.
Old 06-06-10, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Slaughter Rule...Questions.

.......a 7 year long dead thread. wtf.