Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any theaters in your area having a midnight showing?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been checking theaters around here in SoCal to see if there will be a midnight showings, but no luck yet finding one. Is anybody fortunate enough to attend one?
Old 04-23-03, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh trust me.. So Cal will have PLENTY of midnight showings. Check out Pasadena's Paso theater, any theater carrying it in the westwood area, hollywood area should have it, also Alhambra's edwards should have it at midnight. as the day comes closer, you will see a lot of theaters will offer midnight showings on wednesday night/thursday morning.
Old 04-23-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh ok, well to be more specific I'm looking for theaters around the O.C. area, since I have class the next morning and rather not commute that far. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out if no midnight showing pops up around here.
Old 04-23-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you're living in the middle of no-where, expect some midnight screenings. The release is still about three weeks away. Be a little more patient. I'd say check the 'net or the good old newspaper a Friday or two from now to get a better idea.
Old 04-23-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good news and bad news.

Good news... my theater in Crestwood, Illinois is having a midnight showing alright!

Bad news... it's the ORIGINAL Matrix.

Still, it's on a big screen, DTS sound... I'm looking forward to it...
Old 04-23-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You sure that isn't this Friday?

The Loew's chain is having a new Friday night "classic night" or something going on. The Matrix is this Friday's 12:00 showing.

Reloaded isn't released for some time.

Just a thought. . .
Old 04-23-03, 05:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
10pm and 11pm wed night which is cool as I fly out on thursday to the uk
Old 04-23-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
10pm and 11pm wed night which is cool as I fly out on thursday to the uk
...isn't this, well, not legal?
Old 04-23-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Some movies do expand the idea of midnight screening to a few hours before midnight, I've seen it done before.

I was all for a midnight screening, but the theater I frequent isn't having one.
Old 04-24-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love in OC, im pretty sure they will have a midnight. I would assume the irvine spectrum or the the block will have midnight showing. those two theaters even played daredevil the on thursday at 8pm. I hoping they will do something similar with X2, i guess we'll have to wait a until its like a week before the release.
Old 04-24-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by clemente
Some movies do expand the idea of midnight screening to a few hours before midnight, I've seen it done before.
I guess you're right. But if he knows about this, that means they must be advertising it, and I'm surprised Warner Brothers isn't throwing a fit.

...and why can't I have a shady theater like that around me?
Old 04-24-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Actually, studios have started doing the late night day before openings more and more. it's a easy way to ge a bit more cash out of the film, aswell as getting the hardcore fans in there before the weekend so that the normal everyday joe is not intimidated in going to see the film.

A lot of films do this. check your local listings the day before release and you will find a lot more theaters are doing this with the consent of the studios.
Old 04-24-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in Chicago. I check the movie listings habitually, and have yet to see a movie advertised before the date of its release. Not counting "advance screenings" and stuff.

Maybe I'm just being ignorant. Anyone else in Chicago know of a theater that would play Reloaded at about 10 PM on Wednesday? Because I sure don't, and would jump at the opportunity.
Old 04-25-03, 12:16 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Call the theatres and ask there are always showings ahead of time. Always.

The Metreon here in SF does this all the time. I admit the 10pm/11pm ones did surprise me, I will keep you all updated as they told me today there will be more showtimes added
Old 04-25-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's become almost a common policy to have the BIG BIG movies play the night before, and usually at a 10pm start time. It's showing in my area on the Wednesday at 10...it's the same concept as the midnight showings, they just bumped up the time so people won't fall asleep etc. I think this will be available at most theatres that will be showing the film, it'll just be a week or more before they officially announce the advanced showings...

MATT
Old 04-25-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been burned by Fandango.com in the past but this morning they saved me.

I checked my mail just before for leaving for work and Fandango.com sent me a notice that tickets for Reloaded were now on sale at the location I wanted to go to.

I click to link and look for shows the day it opens. Then I click for showtimes the day before hoping for a mifnight showing. And they have a 10pm show. I didn't know if I was going to faint or have an accident. I was thrilled.

So my loving wife got out of bed since I had to leave for work and not only ordered a bunch of tickets for a movie she won't see till the DVD.....but she also drove about 40 minutes into Pittsburgh to pick them up. Man do I owe her now. I was going out tonight but I think I better stay home and treat her to something.

Last edited by MasterofDVD; 04-25-03 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin
I live in Chicago. I check the movie listings habitually, and have yet to see a movie advertised before the date of its release. Not counting "advance screenings" and stuff.

Maybe I'm just being ignorant. Anyone else in Chicago know of a theater that would play Reloaded at about 10 PM on Wednesday? Because I sure don't, and would jump at the opportunity.
Check Fandango, they're up now. It seem thats most Loews theaters are playing the flick at 10PM Wednesday night.
Old 04-25-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by clemente
Check Fandango, they're up now. It seem thats most Loews theaters are playing the flick at 10PM Wednesday night.
Cool. Thanks.
Old 04-27-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner has gave the go ahead for all theaters playing Matrix Reloaded to have a 10pm showing on 5/14. They can also have a midnight showing if they wish.
Old 04-27-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Warner has gave the go ahead for all theaters playing Matrix Reloaded to have a 10pm showing on 5/14. They can also have a midnight showing if they wish.
I think that will add a lot to its box office take cause many more people will go see it at 10pm that wouldn't at midnight.

Will help out my bet (we bet a Two Towers 2-disk dvd whenever its out) on the wednesday - sunday take, I win if it is $80million +
Old 04-27-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew another friend would be upset I didn't get them a ticket. Had to order another one today for him.

We are all very excited. This wait is too much.
Old 04-28-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin
You sure that isn't this Friday?

The Loew's chain is having a new Friday night "classic night" or something going on. The Matrix is this Friday's 12:00 showing.

Reloaded isn't released for some time.

Just a thought. . .
Oh, I was quite correct. My theater was showing the original Matrix, and it was blessed-good!

Talked it over with my Manager, and he says he might add a couple of pre-shows of Matrix Reloaded depending on how quick the prints come in.

Whether or not th public can come, though...