Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chasing Papi - a short review

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, let's get it out of the way, this film is eye candy with a latino bent to it. The film moves fast through its paperthin plot, and the girls move even faster.

Basically, it's one guy who tries to have relationships with 3 women in 3 different regions of the US (New York, Chicago, and Miami). But of course all 3 women find out about the other 2 and that's when the film take off on its zany plot, which probably wanted to feature bits from "Weekend at Bernies" as the guy (Papi) practically overdoses on tranquilizers to calm his nerves.

Roselyn Sanchez reminds me in looks and voice of a latina Sandra Bulloch, and she can do the slapstick comedy bits quite well. Sofia Vergara is channelling Charo, and doesn't apologize for her bombshell proportions, but doesn't disappoint in terms of entertainment value added to the film. Jaci Velasquez plays the 3rd wheel, but does an adequate job. Freddy Rodriguez (Frederico on Six Feet Under) is sort of funny in his small role.

The best thing I can say about this film is that it seldom drags, and just has a good time with its story which has the 3 women coming together to solve their problems. I'd recommend it as a matinee at best.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Last edited by Patman; 04-19-03 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-19-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this was going to be interesting until those Jeep(?) commercials. It seems so poorly done, especially at the end when it just kinda ends.

SPY
Old 04-20-03, 08:40 AM
Banned

Now how about answering the question that matters on this movie?
Do any of the 3 hot latina babes have a nude scene?
Old 04-20-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Um, no. In fact, this movie is extraordinarily clean in all respects.

I thought this was a great family fun movie that is funny and enjoyable. I liked it better than Anger Management for sure.
Old 04-20-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 778 Likes on 470 Posts
Man, here in Miami it's pretty much playing at every major theater.

And I can't find A Mighty Wind anywhere!!
Old 04-21-03, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JuryDuty
Um, no. In fact, this movie is extraordinarily clean in all respects.
Wow! One hundered percent SKIP IT!!!!!

Next
Old 04-21-03, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by wm lopez
Now how about answering the question that matters on this movie?
Do any of the 3 hot latina babes have a nude scene?

From another fan of the female form to another, thank you for asking the question I originally clicked on this thread for.
Old 04-22-03, 01:46 AM
Banned

So it looks like I'm not going to see at the movies, rent or buy the dvd, or watch it on cable or on free t.v.
Old 10-22-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it up to the point where Tomas (Papi) and the three women came together in his house, and news reports kept talking about a counterfeiter. By that point, even the attractiveness of the three actresses couldn’t keep me awake and I fell asleep. I need to return the movie today and really have no desire to watch the rest of it anyway, but out of curiosity, what happened at the end? Did one of them end up with him, did he become a bigamist, did they all leave him, or what?

As for wm lopez's question, rent a movie called Sex & Lucia, reminds me a lot of David Lynch's films (I am still a little confused about what really happened and what was from the guy's book).
Old 10-22-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those girls are hot. Sofia Vergara can beat Pam Anderson's body anyday......